BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

2013 BMW x5 - Trailer hitch recommendations?

140K views 276 replies 72 participants last post by  abfx 
#1 ·
Hi All:

I am new to the forums, but have a question for the experts on this site as to what would be a recommended hitch make and model. I am looking at the following but need advice. :dunno:

I have just purchased a new 2013 X5 and want to use a swagman bike rack we already own. My 7 year old gave me the stinkeye when I told him we had no hitch to put the bikes on this new SUV. He told me we should have kept our 2009 Honda Pilot because that one was better since it had a hitch on it!!! lol

Here are two I have been looking at which are bolt on. I am handy and not afraid to bend a wrench.

Draw-Tite Trailer Hitch for the 2013 BMW X5
http://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hitch/BMW/X5/2013/75600.html?vehicleid=2013106127

Reese Towpower 44590 Class III/IV 2" Square Tube Professional Hitch Receiver
http://www.amazon.com/Reese-Towpowe...=1356873331&sr=8-1&keywords=2013+bmw+x5+hitch

Cheers,
Gary_a_

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
#7 ·
Thank you for the fine compliments on our invisihitch guys. We are constantly looking for ways to better address what people really want, and these forums are very helpful in that regard. In response to your feedback, we recently added the OEM Wiring Harness to our invisihitch for the X5. So now, you do not have to cut your bumper and you can use the factory wiring harness to get all the nice tow-package functions... a special zoom mode on your reverse camera, automatic disabling of the rear PDC sensors when a trailer is plugged in, and dynamic trailer stability control. Use of the OEM harness also preserves your warranty and precludes any possible future conversations about the source of electronic gremlins, should any such gremlins ever appear.

Yet another product improvement that began as a forum discussion of various tow-hitch features. Thanks again for the compliments, and for the suggestions. Please keep them coming.

Cheers,
Daryl
daryl@invisihitch.com
678.400.0121 office
404.593.9887 mobile

Attachments

#9 · (Edited)
Oh geez not the execuhitch spam again, I thought you were gone?

It's one thing to answer questions and give specific suggestions, what you just did there is nothing but blatant advertising.

Earn your keep or go away.

Jay
Another member, gresch is th eone who introduced this thread to their products so not certain why that would bother you. He IS a sponsor so he can "advertise" all he would like. If ya don't like it...shut up...er, I mean "just ignore this thread"...

#10 ·
^^ I don't mind the post, but previously, execuhitch would just spam the forum, seach for any occurence of hitch and not reply to the question asked, but just post a link to his site. This post is actually useful, so no issues here.

#12 ·
Any thoughts on a group buy for the invisihitch setup with factory wiring harness? I'm thinking of getting one by summer time but would move more quickly if there was a deal.

I have also seen some Curt/Draw-tite/Reese setups that didn't require cutting even though you can see it hanging out under the bumper (saw one a few days ago at the car wash).

I don't like the factory setup at all...

#13 ·
Folks,

I was not aware of a history of bad citizenship on these forums by the former company. And, although we are not that company (entirely different ownership & personnel), I will keep in mind going forward that there may be some lingering sensitivities. Frankly, my ire would probably be up also if I had been previously subjected to blatant spam. But I think if you give us a fair shot, you will find us to be good citizens... even if admittedly biased when it comes to towing solutions.

In way of clarification: My firm recently closed on the purchase of the execuhitch product line, and one of the posters here has been instrumental in convincing us to add the OEM wiring harness for the X5. As a result, we fast-tracked importing the harness, performed test fitments and vehicle reprogramming, and have now launched the combination of our invisihitch for the X5 with the OEM wiring harness. With respect, and with full acknowledgement of my bias, I really do not believe you can find a more premium hitch solution for this vehicle now.

As for a group buy, that is not something we have done yet but I will bring it up internally and, if it makes sense, I will post a follow up.

Cheers,
Daryl
daryl@invisihitch.com
678.400.0121 office
404.593.9887 mobile

Attachments

#14 ·
Thanks for the explanation Daryl.

I edited my post as it was uncalled for now understanding further circumstances. My apologies.

The OE wiring harness is excellent as well as very painless to install, its a great addition to any non OE receiver.

Jay

#16 ·
At the risk of raising the "ire" of others on this forum, I have some questions and/or recommendations for your hitch issue.
1. Do you plan on selling/trading the x5 in the next three years?
2. Do you plan on towing anything but bikes?
3. Are you "anal" in that you want your vehicle "perfect" in every way?
If you answer "yes" to all three, I would recommend buying and having installed the BMW hitch. You will never get the total $1000, or so, back on your investment, but it will help in the value if you are selling/trading within three years. After that, zero. If you plan on towing an ATV, boat, jet ski, trailer, etc., get the proper hitch. My experience with BMW installation is A-. Minus only because the software took longer than expected and they put a scratch (repaired n/c) in the bumper.
It is easy for me to spend your money, but if you want/need a hitch, get it done right.

#17 ·
To the OP.

This is my opinion and that's all it is;

If you plan on towing either the BMW hitch or the Invisihitch are both great options. I chose to go with the Invisihitch because I didn't want to cut a notch in my bumper. They are both expensive if you only plan on carrying bicycles. If that is all you will use it for then the two you listed will be fine.

My experience with the Invisihitch is outstanding and, although about twice as expensive as the BMW option, I am happy I chose them for my application.

#18 ·
My wife had the BMW hitch installed. She tows a horse trailer with some regularity, and has no issues with the hitch.

Deers, yes, but not the hitch. :mad:

#19 ·
Absolutely agree about getting a proper hitch for this vehicle if you plan to tow.

In other parts of the world the invisihitch is the BMW Original Equipment hitch for the X5. In North America, BMWNA opted to contract for a lighter hitch for the X5 as their "OE" hitch, since the vehicle is rated for 6,000 lbs here in the U.S. Elsewhere the X5 is rated for 3,500 kg (7,700 lbs), and invisihitch is the contracted BMW "OE" hitch.

I can't say bad things about the current U.S. dealer hitch. It is designed properly; it is just a lighter weight, more visible alternative to the invisihitch... nothing at all like some of the cheap aftermarket hitches that strap to the A-frame or bypass the rear crumple zones. You don't want to be in a rear-end collision with one of those installed.

Despite its load-rating advantage, my impression is that the invisihitch prices out about the same as the U.S. dealer hitch. Is that not the case? Admittedly, that price point is north of $800 before installation once the OEM harness is included with either hitch. So neither is cheap, but they should be fairly close in price.

Of course, if you have the M Sport Package or the Aero Kit, there really isn't much of a choice. The current U.S. dealer hitch is not approved for these vehicles. Which, of course, totally breaks my heart. ;)

Daryl
daryl@invisihitch.com

#20 ·
Daryl,

I completely agree on the heft of the Invisihitch, as it was rather heavy while I was trying to install it without a second pair of hands. As for the cost, I could have sourced the BMW version for close to $500 including the wirering harness and I already had an assortment of 2" and 2 5/8" accesories which I had to replace with your system. No big deal, I didn't mind paying extra for the quality product and service I received. Especially since I didn't have to notch my M Sport bumper to boot.

#24 ·
I had to work my dealer parts dept pretty hard to get them to the Tischer price, so the quote you have is probably the average guy walking in off the street and asking for the kit.

Can you post a picture of your hitch uninstalled? Its hard to believe your hitch could be physically heavier then the BMW NA hitch, it was a pain to install by myself.

Jay

#25 · (Edited)
I installed my OE hitch myself, its quite a heavy piece. The invisihitch looks like a quality piece from what I have seen, and its the only option for us here in North America who need to tow heavy and do not want to cut the bumper IMO.

The Euro hitch is a manufactured for BMW by Westfalia IIRC. Bmw builds the X5 in Spartanburg, but they designed the hitch only with Euro standards in mind. They don't have to cut their bumper, and the towbar is hidden nicely. Hope that gets fixed in the next gen X5. Even the E53 had a cleaner integration with the removable access panel. Look at how clean the old setup was

One more thing, where was the X5 rated for 7700 lbs? Even in Europe and Australia, its always been 6000 lbs

#26 ·
Daryl from Invisihitch:

I have a question I am hoping you can answer. I am planning on buying a 2013 X5 in the next few months and need to tow a larger size boat. The boat is about 4,500-5000 pounds with the trailer. My question is whether there is a difference in load capability between your hitch and the BMW stock hitch? I thought I saw you indicate that your hitch would allow up to 7,700 pounds and the bmw would only allow 6000. Is that really the case?

Thanks Brian

#27 ·
This is a sophisticated group of hitch talkers! OK, here is what I know about the questions that were raised regarding the X5 towing capacity and the comparative capacities of the hitches themselves. Please keep in mind that BMW worldwide does not actually manufacture any tow hitches. Each of the BMW national companies contracts with a hitch manufacturer for its "Original Equipment" hitch. The requirements vary in the different regions around the globe. And then, of course, the process is price competitive within any specific region.

X5 International Towing Capacity: I am 100% certain that we had to dynamically load test and certify our X5 invisihitch for 3,500 kg (7,716 lbs) for BMW outside of North America. I found a link to BMW's X5 international catalog (pdf) in english. It's the only thing I could quickly find online that shows an international tow rating for the X5. If you scroll about half way through BMW's X5 international catalog you will find a section entitled "Standard/Optional equipment"... see the 2nd page of that section, bottom right corner for a reference to "towing a max load of 3,500 kg." Here is a link:
http://www.bmw.com/com/en/newvehicles/x/x5/2010/_shared/pdf/x5_catalogue.pdf?download=true

Capacity of the U.S. Dealer Hitch:
I cannot speak for the manufacturer of the hitch that BMW currently contracts for in North America. For obvious reasons, that hitch manufacturer is not going to release their test data to me. What I can tell you is that BMW does not use that hitch on the X5 outside of North America. Outside of North America, dynamic load testing is required (as opposed to only static load testing that is required in North America). And outside of North America, the X5 can be tow rated for up to 7,716 lbs, as opposed to the North American tow rating of 6,000 lbs.

Capacity of the invisihitch:
I can speak with clarity about the specs of the invisihitch. It was tested and approved by BMW for the full 3,500 kg (7,716 lbs) international tow rating of the X5. It is constructed of 3/8" wall steel throughout. That's stout for a hitch. But really good hitch design is not just about wall thickness and weight. The ballmount-latching mechanism of the invisihitch is precision CNC milled instead of relying on a sliding cross-pin that yields forward/aft play. There is no play when the ballmount is latched into the our receiver. This is a key factor in enabling the invisihitch to pass the six-week Euro dynamic test (2 million cycles of slamming 7,700 lbs forward-then-aft repeatedly at 2 second intervals).

Plus, you don't have to look at our hitch when you aren't using it. After all, it's a trailer hitch, not a fashion statement. :)

Cheers,
Daryl
daryl@invisihitch.com

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.