BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

AD option beat to death here.

2K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  georgejm 
#1 ·
I've read a lot of post on AD and when I did the swap yesterday from my 2011 w/o and 2012 with the option I could finally understand what the difference is all about and will experience more as I go. I totally understand those who decided not to pay the $3500 retail as other options like seats, sound, and engine types can eat up the allowance factor in a hurry. The biggest gripe (for two years) I had with the X5 is now history. AD is not a cure all but is best served to someone who, like me, had one without the option. Body roll on corners or uneven roads (interstates) will not throw you around and the ride is a game changer. No more jolts over bumps or small holes in the road, very compliant. Don't get me wrong, it's not the Lexus/Cadillac ride but I was never looking for that. For those on the fence should do some extra research and spend your option money wisely.

Ard, thanks for all your post on the subject, I went back in time and read plenty.

#2 · (Edited)
And the beatings will continue until all priority one (customer order) X5's are ordered with AD. No hope for dealer ordered cars for the lot though. Those things are like island of misfit toys in spec, and almost never ever have AD. Worst thing BMW did was remove AD from the M-Sport package and make it an option; now all the dealer ordered M-Sports sit on the lot with no AD and eventually narrow choices for bottom feeders like me that search the slightly used market.:mad:

#3 ·
:)

glad to hear!

Because of how it works, the usual adjectives of 'harder/softer' dont really apply

Enjoy

A

#6 ·
I just took delivery of a new X5 50 with M Sport, M-Performance and AD (amongst others)...

when I test drove the 50 with the SAV pkg (no AD) against the x5M ... I really hated the suspension feel on the 50 SAV ...

I am VERY happy that I ordered AD on my car, in either normal or sport mode the handling is superb I would not call it too stiff ... its difficult to compare since I dont have a lot of experience with non-AD cars ... I think its worth it ... especially since when combined with ZMP/ZMX the price comes down to $2650 as I recall...

#7 · (Edited)
I just took delivery of a new X5 50 with M Sport, M-Performance and AD (amongst others)...

when I test drove the 50 with the SAV pkg (no AD) against the x5M ... I really hated the suspension feel on the 50 SAV ...

I am VERY happy that I ordered AD on my car, in either normal or sport mode the handling is superb I would not call it too stiff ... its difficult to compare since I dont have a lot of experience with non-AD cars ... I think its worth it ... especially since when combined with ZMP/ZMX the price comes down to $2650 as I recall...
Well I tell you I can compare as I had my 2011 for exactly two years (over 33,000 mi) to the day (strange) and drove the last eighty miles to the dealer to do the swap. I knew my old one very well and loved it every minute of it. Drove the new one eighty miles back home, same roads and now put an extra two hundred since then. Ad makes it a different experience I tell you. I can only hope my new one is as solid as the last one.

AD SHOULD BE STANDARD ON ALL BMW's!!!!!!!!!! If it were standard on all units the price would be much lower and would cement the BMW reputation instead of losing it each year trying to steal business where they have no business stealing from.

#8 ·
AD is not so important on all BMW. It is important on X5, because of the body roll. What a huge difference between my previous 530d with standard suspension and X5... unfortunately I did not read about AD before buying X5 - this is the option I am missing in my X5 a lot

They could put AD as standard in all X5 - then the base price would be higher, competitors would offer cheaper cars, potential customer would go to MB or Audi... IMO majority of customers do not care about AD

#9 ·
Competitors do offer cheaper cars and I have no beef with the likes of MB or Audi as they have their own following for different reasons. I just believe if they marketed the option as a standard staple of BMW performance for all to experience they should be able to once again distance themselves with superior workmanship that could overcome price as they have years ago, one step at a time. I am fortunate to be able to afford options like AD on a BMW I know and cannot argue as opinions vary why one option is better than another.

#10 ·
I know I'm in the minority on this issue, but I don't think AD is worth the money. I've had it on my last 2 X5s and don't have it on my current one, which was ordered. There is definitely a difference, but it isn't huge. The 50i M-sport handles great. To me, the wheel and tire package makes a much bigger difference than the AD. The ride is a bit smoother with AD and the handling is more confidence-inspiring. But the difference is incremental. Do I miss it? Yes and no. Some times I can notice a difference. But I still don't think it's worth $3500, especially when the dynamic suspension on my 550i was only $900, and a similar suspension on the F30 3-series is around $600 if I recall correctly. At $1000 I would say it would be worth it, beyond that, no.

#11 ·
Cannot argue with the $1,000 price you speak of and also consider extra alignments and maintenance down the road as well. A lot of things to consider but if it was priced at $1000 then what?

#14 ·
All responses here have merit and thankful we all still have some choices. I think BMW should set up a 50' drive through of uneven path so customers could drive any vehicle through to test suspension for body roll and road feel. Ok, you may need more then 50'. You know, run a MB, Audi or Lexus to better understand the engineering behind the suspension and experience of the results. They could check for service rattle nose while they at it, lol.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.