BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

a little confused (x5 35d and Adaptive Drive)

4K views 19 replies 11 participants last post by  kanar200 
#1 ·
I'm looking at ordering a 2012 x5 35d, and while trying to decide what to pay to put in it, I was looking at the adaptive drive option. From this forum, I have figured out that it is in fact an option available on the x5 diesel version, even though it's not on the bmwusa.com website.

What I don't quite understand is why would it not be on the build section of the website yet be available?

Also I've noticed several posts from people who've been told it wasn't available for the x5 35d, despite the fact that it seems to be.... if the salesman tries to tell me it's not available, where do I direct him to confirm that it is?

Thanks,
Katy

#2 ·
I'm looking at ordering a 2012 x5 35d, and while trying to decide what to pay to put in it, I was looking at the adaptive drive option. From this forum, I have figured out that it is in fact an option available on the x5 diesel version, even though it's not on the bmwusa.com website.

What I don't quite understand is why would it not be on the build section of the website yet be available?

Also I've noticed several posts from people who've been told it wasn't available for the x5 35d, despite the fact that it seems to be.... if the salesman tries to tell me it's not available, where do I direct him to confirm that it is?

Thanks,
Katy
Direct him to [enter name of closest competitive BMW dealer]

Seriously, it is- a manager shoud know, or tell them to call bmwna

The website is just a marketing and sales fluff app...NOT a real sources of configurations

Good choice!

A

#3 ·
You would be surprised how misinformed, under-informed, or outright ignorant CAs can be. And some of them will simply lie rather than admit they don't have an informed answer. When I leased my previous X5d, my CA initially said the eco credit was no more (which was absolutely NOT true). I think they did not have diesels on the lot and simply wanted to push the non-diesels. That, or he actually did not know that the eco credit was still available!! If your CA tells you AD is not available for the X5d, tell them to look at option 2VA on their 2012 pricing sheet.

#4 ·
As a starting point you should always be using bmwconfig.com!

#5 ·
Ad

I just picked up a 2012 x5d that I ordered in late june. I can show you a window sticker with adaptive drive (along with some other stuff, including individual sound) that can be ordered.

BTW... It's completely worth the price.. And more. My last X5 didn't have it, it's night and day different/improvement in handling and comfort at the same time.

#6 ·
I just picked up a 2012 x5d that I ordered in late june. I can show you a window sticker with adaptive drive (along with some other stuff, including individual sound) that can be ordered.

BTW... It's completely worth the price.. And more. My last X5 didn't have it, it's night and day different/improvement in handling and comfort at the same time.
What is individual sound?

#12 ·
Adaptive drive should show up on the ordering guide, but individual sound won't. Neither will Piano Black trim. You're best off to just go look up the individual catalogue. It takes a request form faxed over for approval, but it isn't hard.

#13 ·
Christ on the cross ... where were you 3 weeks ago when I was ordering my car? I would have totally spent a few more bucks and gotten Individual Sound!

#15 ·
I found out about it the hard way the first go round.. this is my fourth BMW, I learned my lesson and now check out all of the options in the individual catalog before I even approach my dealer.

There's a form that has to be faxed in, and your dealer must be knowledgable, but it is almost always possible to get them approved with enough lead time. I'm not sure the individual sound has been discussed at length on this board, but I'll do a review of our new one here in the next few days. Overall, much more tight and crisp than the premium sound, and goes much louder without distortion (although the premium could get pretty loud).

The downside: crappy source material sounds even worse. I have found myself going back to the source for the lossless version many times after having the individual audio in my M3.

#14 ·
By the way, if you ever find yourself questioning if AD is worth it or not, read this: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showpost.php?p=6961248&postcount=20

I went through a similar process a month ago and ended up deciding to get it. I've had the car for 10 days and have driven 2k miles on it already. It is amazing ... it's the best riding BMW i've ever had, it corners like a maniac and it is incredibly smooth on any type of road.

#16 ·
Can you order any option or only what is in the individual catalog? I would like to have (if I order once again) a net between the cargo area and the passenger compartment - available in Europe, not in the US...

#17 ·
Is this an accessory (not an option built with the car, but something installed after the car is built)? If it's a european accessory, it might be a bit more difficult to order it, but I'm sure if you could get ahold of the part number you could get a dealer to order it for you.

#19 ·
I think you can add the mounts on the underside of the roof, and the trim:

Plus some screws, etc

Not sure about the netting...

Brought this for my MDX years ago. Used it ONCE.

#20 ·
Thanks Ard, this is generally a good idea. Unfortunately I am not a DIY person at all and I do not know any place here I could ask to mount this. My X5 is very often fully loaded when I am going for weekend outdoor activities. The net would help a lot. I had this in 5 series station wagon and thought this is a standard feature.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.