BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Jet Black or Deep Sea Blue?

4K views 25 replies 17 participants last post by  AutoUnion 
#1 ·
Placed an order for Jet Black diesel with black nappa leatther and 214s. Wondering about deep sea blue instead of black/black. Who has it and loves it?

#2 ·
Never had Jet Black or Deep Sea Blue before. My last three cars have been in Black Sapphire Metallic. While I obviously love this color I'm ready for a change and the only other color I will seriously consider is deep see blue. My next car will have it. One thing though, I think deep sea blue goes best with a lighter color interior. Most of the deep sea blue cars I've seen at dealerships had a very light interior color like oyster or sand beige and it makes for a great combination. My 2 cents: you can't go wrong with either color. If you need to have a black interior, stay with the jet black exterior. If you're OK with a lighter color interior (and it's not too late to change your order), then go with the deep sea blue.

#19 ·
speaking of, finally saw an X5 in your color today on the pike around noon.... nice and clean, looked good!

#9 · (Edited)
Yes. someone mentioned a special order where they bought sand beige nappa but was able to get black carpets. I think he said BMW charged 900 for it. MY CA did not seem to entertain the thought - not surprising. I was not aware there was an individual option for the X5 - looks like its offered on the European website...interesting. Does Spartanburg make the X5s for the USA only or the whole world?

#11 ·
Just picked up our Deep Sea Blue X5d at the beginning of the month and love it so far! Click the link in my sig for the thread and pics.

#13 ·
As a current owner of Sapphire & previous owner of Jet, I can tell you Sapphire is better. It hides tiny scratch better than Jet and has the metallic shine / sheen in the sun.

#16 ·
OP, get Sapphire, you will love it! Blue on a BMW is so 10 years ago & yes Red is rare but it doesn't make it better! :bigpimp:

#25 ·
You only get JB is you absolutely must have it, it is one of the most notorious of paints with pro detailers. Ask Thomas Dekany who's always posting in the detailing dept (top pro, gets flown out from OR to CA every month to teach in fact), and he says it's the worst paint ever for him, I think he even said he'll never do it again, was his last time like 75 hours? He might be an extreme case, but any polish will be multiple steps, probably with a glaze, and even then some frustration. X5 is a big car with a lot of paint too. If you really enjoy very swirly black paint, that is another thing, and I then highly recommend it.

Also, about half of every "omg I have permanent bird crap etching on my paint" thread seems to be with black paint. As black paint gets hotter, the enzymatic process of etching is accelerated. Seriously, I don't think half is an exaggeration. Just my 2 cents.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.