BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Is 324td good for drift?

8K views 26 replies 9 participants last post by  319915 
#1 · (Edited)
#4 ·
Wow, that's quite the track! Wish I had access to something like that :p

I'm no expert on diesel motors (or motors in general), but they've usually got some great low end torque which would likely help you get the wheels spinning easily (at 2400+rpm for the 324td you're already at the sweet spot)

Hopefully someone can answer your questions :D

#7 ·
drifting is not low end torque, its hp. in drifting its being able to spin the tires at speed, and if you watch drifting comps, those guys are hitting the first turn at 80mph, locking the e brake then throttling out from there. the problem with a diesel is they are a low rev motor. so the revs your working with is a small range, say 500-1000rpms, while a proper drift motor, they work with 2000-4000rpms, yet alone more 500hp. while the 324td may be droppin 120hp, drift cars are normally around 600 at the wheels.

doable, yes. but youll have to be dead nuts on speed gear and the e brake and youll probably spin out more than anything.

#12 ·
drifting is not low end torque, its hp. in drifting its being able to spin the tires at speed, and if you watch drifting comps, those guys are hitting the first turn at 80mph, locking the e brake then throttling out from there. the problem with a diesel is they are a low rev motor. so the revs your working with is a small range, say 500-1000rpms, while a proper drift motor, they work with 2000-4000rpms, yet alone more 500hp. while the 324td may be droppin 120hp, drift cars are normally around 600 at the wheels.

doable, yes. but youll have to be dead nuts on speed gear and the e brake and youll probably spin out more than anything.
You don't need 600 hp, those are professional ones.

Youtube is full of M40s and M42s going sideways.

My old M40 powered E30 had wheel spin too.

Wet tarmac and skinny stock worn tires. :)

#8 ·
It's all in the $$$$$$$$. How much power do you want to spend?

#10 ·
700lbs more with 15 less hp. big difference. another thing wheel to wheel distance, corolla is shorter so easier to get into a drift but harder to control.

one other thing to look at, guys were slapping turbos on the ae86 to boost the hp to around 200hp with 8# boost. but to keep with my first statement, the rpm power range is so far different and thats where the ae86 just beats the m21

#18 ·
ROFL no way!!

#19 ·
ive e braked a 86 buick century with a pedal e brake with release (in my younger rally days on a poor budget on farm roads) and its the only way to get my subby to slide too. i will say, the buick was on dirt roads and my subby is on snow pack, so i was cheating :fingers:

#20 ·
Driftin Diesels

The Diesels just do not have a wide enough power band & throttle take up :thumbdwn:
I asked a customer whose Amarok we had suitably modified if I may test this.
Hitting the corner at about 140 kph, e Brake and then you have to have the motor spinning to start drifting without getting grip again.
Then it held the slide until I reached the apex and had to grab the next higher gear where the motor just could not REV up fast enough and the tyres gripped again :tsk:
Maybe with a Auto box and tiptronic style system :dunno:
BTW, do not try this at home ;)
The Chinese would say "that I had some interesting moments" :eek:

#26 · (Edited)
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.