BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Carsoft - Any good?

3K views 9 replies 3 participants last post by  robertobaggio20 
#1 ·
I am thinking of getting diagnostic software. Is Carsoft any good? Are there better?
Is it easy to use / accurate / well supported by vendor? Opinions from users please.

#2 ·
DIS or EASY DIS is far superior. Its a little harder to setup at first, but there are many online forums (and videos on youtube) describing the exact steps that you need to take. Once installed, it stays installed.

The diagnostic connectors etc can be purchased off ebay for between $50-$150. References to which work and which don't are also found on those other forums.

It would be a good idea to get a car charger for your laptop as well.

And you need to check if your modern USB-port-only laptop can function with the diagnostic connectors. They may not, without the use of adaptors. Again, there are forums and threads on this in detail.

Actually, I have a link :

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=233

It seems mindboggling but if you are patient, it will become clear. The key thing about easy dis is that it was originally built to run on a Unix machine. So, if you are using a windows or mac laptop, you'll need to first create an artificial unix environment, and then install dis into that environment. It sounds confusing but its not when they explain the big picture to you (which many online forums don't, hence my exhortation to your patience).

rgds,
Roberto

#3 ·
Carsoft is garbage, the setup described above is garbage as well unless you can get your hands on a proper laptop that matches specs to the point.

Otherwise have fun having horrible feedback/unstable setup and reinstalling it every few weeks. Major PITA.

#4 ·
Carsoft is garbage, the setup described above is garbage as well unless you can get your hands on a proper laptop that matches specs to the point.

Otherwise have fun having horrible feedback/unstable setup and reinstalling it every few weeks. Major PITA.
There are many people who use ediabas/inpad, easy dis, gt1 and other similar systems reliably. The key is good preparation, which comes from reliable and comprehensive information, which can only be identified by the determined application of patience to the process of online research.

In short, if you're not a pioneer for something, and you have screwed it up, then its quite likely that you've not done sufficient research to prepare yourself.

The most effective mantra when approaching such situations seems to be "no pressure, no pressure. "

#9 ·
I will read results B 4 getting my money out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.