BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Retrofitting Lane Departure Warning

203K views 305 replies 77 participants last post by  Siki78 
#1 ·
So for EU F10 owners who do have LDW (ie blessed with KAFAS module+camera) seems the conclusion is that using the settings from the cheat sheet will in fact enable SLI properly for them.

Wish there was someone here who could confirm this.

Wonder also what's in that retrofit box. Probably only coding then.

@Dream KAFAS2 is a different module, probably 66519271195. How can it help us? Maybe we can read the FDL settings from one who has it say in the F30?
I have access to a UK 2012 model F10 that I have just started programming. I am still waiting for my own car to arrive in a couple of weeks time.

The referred car has SLI, High Beam Auto & HUD but does not have LDW. I believe the camera is still the same (as it is required by SLI). SLI works like a charm - almost 99% accurate on UK roads.

Let me know if you want me to read settings from this car - just guide me into what you want done and I'll post the files. I am still a bit of newbie but happy to help out.

My project is to get LDW working (as reading from your/ DreamCar/ others efforts on SLI) - I think it may be possible to get LDW working as they all share the same hardware camera.

#2 ·
@gspannu thanks for showing interest.

For LDW you will also need the rear bumper sensors 66326857779 / 80.

If possible please post the cafd files for KAFAS HU_CIC & KOMBI of this mentioned car.

Only operation needed is read VCM, so nothing to worry about. Files should be stored in CAF folder.

#3 ·
@Dreamcar, @1stBimmer, @miotoo

I will be back home in about an hour. Will give it a go then and then read out the files and post here. I propose to do the following:

1. Clear out existing CAF folder (I have backups!)
2. Read the 3 files you have mentioned.
3. Post these files here.

As a side question, @miotoo mentions I need the rear bumper sensors 66326857779 / 80 for LDW. Are these special sensors that come as part of a special pack or are these just normal PDC sensors. (I do not have Park Assist, I just have normal front & rear PDC). What are these sensors?

#4 ·
I have access to a UK 2012 model F10 that I have just started programming. I am still waiting for my own car to arrive in a couple of weeks time.

The referred car has SLI, High Beam Auto & HUD but does not have LDW. I believe the camera is still the same (as it is required by SLI). SLI works like a charm - almost 99% accurate on UK roads.

My project is to get LDW working (as reading from your/ DreamCar/ others efforts on SLI) - I think it may be possible to get LDW working as they all share the same hardware camera.
@gspannu, funny you should be considering this ...

I just got a MY2013 F25 with SLI but not LDW …

… I didn't want LDW, but its only now I see the user guide that I discover that LDW come with Forward Alert, which I would have taken the option for if only the sales associate had known or mentioned it.

I am also left wondering if LDW and Forward Alert are coding option on the same hardware used for SPI.

Of course, the steering wheel wont vibrate for LDW, and there is the small issue of the activation buttons on the dash, but none the less, if I could enable Forward Alert, I would be interested to see how this could be done …

#5 · (Edited)
GSPannu,

Thanks for the files...

I dont see any difference between these and Mobilieum's (I assuming this will be case for all EU countries).
So enabling SLI in EU countries on cars with LDW should be a breeze.

And regarding the question you posted for me in the other forum...

We gotta check if we can activate the LDW with out the hard switch or if we can default the LDW to be "on" like HBA .

#6 ·
@DreamCar, it's been mentioned that LDW needs special rear sensors ... What for?

Do you know if the Forward Warning uses anything other than the camera?

On a side note, does the front camera have a video out anywhere? I was thinking of getting one of those loop recording dash cameras in case of an "event".

Would be handy for the front facing camera to keep a loop of video prior to an accident or something. Failing that maybe it can be wired into a recording device...

#10 · (Edited)
@gspanuu there are cafd files from @mobileum in the old thread http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=619819, his car is EU build and if I'm not mistaken has all 3 options LDW HBA SLI so comparing your files to his should be a good way forward for you.

I can't seem to find that post at the moment, but if no one gets to it, later I can post the files as I have them at home..

#17 ·
@gspanuu these are the KOMBI, HU_CIC & KAFAS files from a EU car with SLI & LDW.

In the FDL editor, search for TLC entries which is the code for the Lane Depart Warning system.

Attachments

#19 ·
I am Ivory Pure (99.44%) sure that the Blind Spot Warning is only the side sensors. The pointing of the sensor allows it to pick up objects adjacent and behind it.

#20 ·
@miotoo @akiss @dreamcar
Great suggestions guys, I'm out until Sunday. Will give these a go on Sun or Mon evening and report back.

Even if I get the warning to light up in dashboard, would be a good start; I can worry about the steering vibration later.

Side question: How would I enable this permanently as I do not have a switch on/off button for LDW?

@akiss: Since you have already achieved this...
1. do you happen to remember the exact settings changed/ documented anywhere? Saves me the hassle of going through the files line by line & comparing.
2. How did you manage without the physical switch?

#21 ·
Side question: How would I enable this permanently as I do not have a switch on/off button for LDW?
Do you have buttons at all below your light switches? If so, it's possible your car is pre-wired and then you would just need a new switch :)

#25 ·
@DreamCar: Thanks for creating a separate thread. This could be a project on its own.

@akiss: Would much appreciate if you could locate the exact settings for LDW enabling specifically?

I'll give this a go on Sunday/ Monday and then report back...

#39 ·
Having played around, setting some of the Andy settings to nicht_aktiv; I eventually got the LDW to work.

The system detects the lane markings (both left & right). The HUD and the dashboard icons all light up. The small triangles appear on the left/ right lane as and when the car detects the lane markings.

All this is great and proves that the system works. I still have the LDW error, but I'm ignoring this for now.

Since my steering wheel does not have a vibration motor, I get no feedback. I guess this is a hardware issue and will explore at retro-fit.

Q: What is the feedback mechanism when one drifts over a lane? Is it only a Steering Wheel vibration or does the HUD/ dashboard display also show something - flash or change colour or something?

Can someone who has LDW confirm as to how the system provides feedback (in addition to steering vibration)?

#42 · (Edited)
IT WORKS !!!!!

i have retrofit via coding the lane departure warning with these codes from akiss without an error...

i have already the lane change warning system with the vibration steering wheel and the SLI from factory... in additionel these codes the lane departure warning works perfectly. only the button to deactivate the system is not there...

Codes to change:

KOMBI:
3003, TLC_VERBAUT, aktiv
3004, ST_TLC_TIMEOUT, aktiv
3004, ST_TLC_ALIVE, aktiv
3004, ST_TLC_APPL, aktiv

KAFAS:
3000, TLC_START_VERSION, default_on
3000, TLC_ON_OFF, aktiv
3000, SEND_MESSAGE_327, aktiv
3000, SEND_MESSAGE_345, aktiv
3006, ACTUATOR_ON_OFF, aktiv

HU_CIC:
3001, LANE_DEPARTURE_WARNING, aktiv

#43 ·
IT WORKS !!!!!

i have retrofit via coding the lane departure warning with these codes from akiss without an error...
Great that you were able to get this to work.

Can you confirm that you did not need to set this parameter?
SZL_LWS:
3000, Lenkrad_Vibration, aktiv

Is the above parameter already active in your car (since you have lance change warning).
Can you please read and confirm this parameter?

I think, I am getting an error (see previous posts) because I have enabled steering vibration while my car does not have the vibrating wheel.
I will try and not set this parameter & double-check and maybe my error goes away too. Then its a matter of getting the vibration motor retro-fitted...

#47 ·
Well done.

My guess is that you have set the KAFAS, 3000, TLC_START_VERSION to default_on and this may be causing the issue. You probably need to set this to the 3rd value (On, Off, Last setting)

Few more queries:
1. Where did you get the new button panel from? Do you have the part number?
2. Is the button panel just a clamp-on or did you have to wire up the buttons? Are the cables per connected?
3. Did you fit the button panel yourself or did you get this done by garage?
4. Did your car already have the steering wheel vibration motor or did you retrofit this?

Thanks.

#48 ·
I found it! :roundel::sabrina::fruit::banana::clap:
New button has to be activated in:
FRM
LIN_PUBU_TLC, aktiv

1. I bought it at the dealer, part no. 61319220148. In this set you have all buttons and 5 blind plugs, so you can choose which you need. Cost: about 100$.
2. Just clamp on.
3. Instalation is very simple, you don't have screw anything, just remove wood panel (with headlights knob), then push the panel button from behind. It takes 2 minutes.
4. Yes, I have vibration in steering wheel.

#49 ·
In this set you have all buttons and 5 blind plugs, so you can choose which you need. Cost: about 100$.
and what about the sequence of the buttons? in my car i have the button for the lane change warning at the left first position an then the HUD Button, the rest is free.

can i order the same panel with your part number and retrofit the ldw button like you did ??

greetz
sibob

#51 ·
Instalation is very simple, you don't have screw anything, just remove wood panel (with headlights knob), then push the panel button from behind. It takes 2 minutes.
All Right, thx. then i will go tomorrow to my dealer to order this panel, cost 58 € in germany.

can you explain at which position you take out the wood panel with the headlight knob. i dont want to scratch my wood, this would be ugly, hehe.

sibob

#50 ·
Yes, you can.
New panel has new sequence, everything works fine.
Before retrofit I had: LCW, Collision Warning, HUD, blind, blind. Now I have: LCW, Collision, LDW, blind, HUD.
You will have: LCW, blind, LDW, blind, HUD. This scheme is also in the manual attached to new panel.

#53 ·
@tissot: Thanks for the information.

All I now need is confirmation that the steering wheel vibration motor can be retrofitted.

Anyone know, what the instructions are to fit steering wheel motor. Part number #32336787452
It costs about £65 and the additional panel. I'm all ready to order, just want confirmation that the steering vibration motor can be retrofitted.

#54 ·
@tissot: Thanks for the information.

All I now need is confirmation that the steering wheel vibration motor can be retrofitted.

Anyone know, what the instructions are to fit steering wheel motor. Part number #32336787452
It costs about £65 and the additional panel. I'm all ready to order, just want confirmation that the steering vibration motor can be retrofitted.
any news on this?

#59 ·
there are 3 different steering wheels:

32 33 6 790 894 - with heating, LCW and/or LDW
32 33 6 790 893 - w/o heating, but with LCW and/or LDW
32 33 6 790 891 - just wheel w/o LDW or LCW (as mine)

the question is now what is really different between the wheel 893 and 891.

#61 ·
all ok.. but i think the different is that the wheels 893 and 894 have different wirings. Because i can't find the wirings in the ETK by itself. They are showing up in the picture under "61_2389 Lenkradelektronik" but they are not listed.

To remove the wheel cover, is it dangerous? Do i have to remove the battery from the car?

#62 ·
First time it takes about 10-15 minutes when you "hit" write place behind airbag. You have to be patient and calm.
You haven't diconnect battery. It isn't dangarous. But don't unplug airbag's wires if you don't disconnect battery. Only remove cover with silver trim, just pull carefully. Then you will see everything.

#65 ·
i've found the 2 steering wheels on the net.

and there is really a wiring issue to retrofit it just with the actuator and the module.
You have to change the wheel. Because there is no wiring itself to order.

see attached pictures

the left is without LDW LCW and the right is with. there you can see an additional wire which goes to the module place and a one end which ends in the right hole which is empty on the other wheel

Attachments