BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Retrofitting Lane Departure Warning

203K views 305 replies 77 participants last post by  Siki78 
#1 ·
So for EU F10 owners who do have LDW (ie blessed with KAFAS module+camera) seems the conclusion is that using the settings from the cheat sheet will in fact enable SLI properly for them.

Wish there was someone here who could confirm this.

Wonder also what's in that retrofit box. Probably only coding then.

@Dream KAFAS2 is a different module, probably 66519271195. How can it help us? Maybe we can read the FDL settings from one who has it say in the F30?
I have access to a UK 2012 model F10 that I have just started programming. I am still waiting for my own car to arrive in a couple of weeks time.

The referred car has SLI, High Beam Auto & HUD but does not have LDW. I believe the camera is still the same (as it is required by SLI). SLI works like a charm - almost 99% accurate on UK roads.

Let me know if you want me to read settings from this car - just guide me into what you want done and I'll post the files. I am still a bit of newbie but happy to help out.

My project is to get LDW working (as reading from your/ DreamCar/ others efforts on SLI) - I think it may be possible to get LDW working as they all share the same hardware camera.

#180 · (Edited)
I would like to have a go at fitting this, have SLI / KAFAS 1 already.

I have no driver assistance features - just popped off the end dash panel, then I could pop off the driving assistance blanking cover - no wires.

So my first question is how can I get wires to the driver assistance switch panel? Where do the wires from the switch go?

EDIT:-

The "User control, driver assistance system" connects to the FRM (footwell module) via the LIN bus, so looks like I'll have to run some wires. Anyone know how many wires go into the switch?
The switch now has part number 61319279306 and is currently £82+VAT. Just ordered one.

#181 ·
Just got my switch replaced withthat exact same order number for 86 Euro. I already had LCW and HUD. I had to cap the buttons before they could work. Not sure why they would design it like that?!
The order was LCW / HUD /// and now it is LCW / blank / LDW / blank / HUD.
A four wire databus is connected to the switch. Before I had the switch, I defaulted it to on with the lines appearing only after reaching the desired speed (Werte 2 instead of 4) and up till now still not able to get the info in the HUD. The HUD even started blanking parts of info when the LDW option for HUD was turned on so I had to deactivate that. Some see LDW in the HUD and others don't. Not sure where the differences come from.

Next will be 601 TV arriving 20 may:)

#182 · (Edited)
I'm one of the unlucky ones without any driver assistance switches. Here is my plan:-

Wire driver assistance switch panel
Pin 1 to pin 3 of A34*3B (Power from Z1 Junction box)
Pin 2 to pin 9 of A58*1B (Lin bus footwell module)
Pin 3 No connection
Pin 4 to pin 26 of A58*1B (ground footwell module)
Can anyone confirm that this switch accepts a 4-pin connector but only 3 pins are used?

Earlier in this thread it was mentioned no power for the vibration motor was supplied to SZL. So I need to check if power gets to SZL for the vibration motor.
Power from pin 8 of Z1*10B to SZL Pin 9 of A92*1B
Ground from Pin 8 of A34*3B to SZL pin 11 of A92*1B
If these wires are not there they will need to be added

Even then there is the problem of getting the power through the SZL. My 4 pin connector (A92*4B) was moulded and present but no pins present!! Since it has been mentioned there are no connections in the "clock spring"? inside (is it some sort of flexi connection?), then I have may have no choice but to use the airbag connections. Only two pins of 4 were used on my airbag connection (it was real easy to pop the airbag off). It seems BMW are using the same part number for the SZL for versions which have A92*4B present and those which don't. Naughty if true! Looking forward to seeing what is inside the SZL.

It should be easier after that. The steering wheel module (6 way connector) connects to the lin bus already present in the wheel on connections X01002 and X01003 and also to the two new connections for power likely now on (added to) the airbag connector. Can anyone confirm only 4 pins of the 6 way connector (A69*1B) are used?

Finally I need to plug in the vibration motor, simples.

Next thing is for me to list all the crimp terminals / crimp housings / (repair wires?) needed to make a nice job of this. Any pointers? I hope they are available! Not many cars in breakers yards!

#188 · (Edited)
Hi Guys,

My F06 (feb 2014 built) has SLI, Digital Instrument cluster, High Beam Auto & HUD but does not have LDW.. Running the latest iDrive - NBT_I14275A

Just wondering if I need the actuator in my steering wheel for this to work? I know the switch isn't needed as I've turned on TLC_START_VERSION werte 01.

The goal is to have standalone LDW - I tried manual coding first of all but had "Lane Departure Warning Deactivated" or "Front Camera Failure" errors.

So decided to VO code 5AD (ICM, DKombi, SZL, KAFAS2, and NBT) & then disabling a few options afterwards to stop Pedestrian warning but still getting the same errors (either LDW Deactivated or Front Cam failure)..

1) If LDW is dependant on the actuator in my steering wheel, can I disable something to prevent it checking (I've tried changing Actuator_ON_OFF but no luck) .

2) Does anyone know if there is a log file I can check to determine the reason for the error?

Thanks for any pointers.

#201 · (Edited)
Yes, the connector of the airbag seems to have 4 empty positions.
I have no problem fixing my own cable, or solder for that matter, but can you please elaborate a bit further ap90500 how to determine what the correct pinout would be?
Or, if you have done so yourself, would you perhaps pop out the airbag and make a photo? :D

Of course the guys at the dealer where I just picked up my parts claimed it would not be possible, and is doomed to fail. Even if I DID order the correct cluster, they claimed it would not be possible to wire the module needed for that (?) and program it.

#207 · (Edited)
Well.

All parts are in.
So.. I found the + and - on the airbag connector in order to power the module.

So there is only 1 lead to trigger the module, correct?
I found this photo in a different topic

So it is 'just' the blue/brown cable there that needs to come from either the junction box, or from behind the Steering Column bay?

#223 · (Edited)
Well.

All parts are in.
So.. I found the + and - on the airbag connector in order to power the module.

So there is only 1 lead to trigger the module, correct?
I found this photo in a different topic

So it is 'just' the blue/brown cable there that needs to come from either the junction box, or from behind the Steering Column bay?
Hi paq!

Did you manage to finish retrofit?
If yes, please share the steps.

1. Were Airbag 12V pins already wired and powered from rear side of cluster or have you done additional wiring?
  2. Which Airbag connector pins in your case were ground and +12V?
  3. How did you connect steering wheel module wires (red and red/white) to those Airbag connector pins?
  4. Did you cut those red red/white cables (they seem too short and would not fit airbag connector) and how did you attach those cables to airbag pins?
  5. Do you have picture to share?

Many questions, I know :)

Thanks a lot!

#209 ·
Hi All,

My 5 pence on LDW retrofit. I own 2012 F10 with heated steering wheel but no LDW or LCA = no vibration generator. Have done 5AD VO coding, got the lanes displayed on the dash and HUD, triangles appearing when lanes are detected > 70km/h.

However since I got no vibration generator in my M steering wheel I got wheel apart and found white module installed and all the wiring in place as on the pictures (with 3rd connector in). Based on that I ordered generator 32 33 6 787 452 for M wheel as it appeared plug and play. With everything fitted I went for a test drive and.... :cry: no vibrations but no errors in any of the modules or the dash.

Again I got the steering wheel apart, taken out the module and surprise! Connector is there but no PIN inside. I soldered them on having the skills back from old days but apparently some components (probably FET driver) missing. So if somebody without LDW or LCA retrofits vibration generator a heated steering wheel is not enough. New module with all options is 61 31 9 218 379 (still waiting for it).

Strange the car did not complain about no generator with actuator on coded... apparently retrofit in such case is not worth it = money wise. From expected 100$ it gets more to 300$ area (if it works at all).

Regards,
Mariusz

#210 ·
Thanks for checking inside the module. It's always interesting to know if BMW was just saving on the connector pins or also on-board components..this is happening all too often eg. ZGW 4SK vs 8SK etc.

Already mentioned couple times in this thread, It's a different wheel electronics module whether heater only, LDW only or both. And the wiring is only sold with a steering wheel..

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7141811&postcount=58
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7483384&postcount=72

Hi All,

My 5 pence on LDW retrofit. I own 2012 F10 with heated steering wheel but no LDW or LCA = no vibration generator. Have done 5AD VO coding, got the lanes displayed on the dash and HUD, triangles appearing when lanes are detected > 70km/h.

However since I got no vibration generator in my M steering wheel I got wheel apart and found white module installed and all the wiring in place as on the pictures (with 3rd connector in). Based on that I ordered generator 32 33 6 787 452 for M wheel as it appeared plug and play. With everything fitted I went for a test drive and.... :cry: no vibrations but no errors in any of the modules or the dash.

Again I got the steering wheel apart, taken out the module and surprise! Connector is there but no PIN inside. I soldered them on having the skills back from old days but apparently some components (probably FET driver) missing. So if somebody without LDW or LCA retrofits vibration generator a heated steering wheel is not enough. New module with all options is 61 31 9 218 379 (still waiting for it).

Strange the car did not complain about no generator with actuator on coded... apparently retrofit in such case is not worth it = money wise. From expected 100$ it gets more to 300$ area (if it works at all).

Regards,
Mariusz

#211 · (Edited)
All SZL connectors were there, wiring harness appeared complete (red+red/white) and next to air bag connector blue/white etc. After fitting generator looks exactly like on this pic (this one of course no heating):

This got me on the wrong track with assumptions ;) Electronics module part no #380 has the other side of PCB totally empty and of course no pins for vibration generator. Anyways will post again upon receipt of 379 module. Went so far already, so will get it to the end.

Still strange no ECU complaints like generator -> open circuit.

Regards,
Mariusz