BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Sirrius

982 views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  kurjan 
#1 ·
Are all new E60s pre-wired for Sirrius? I don't see an option for pre-wiring. I don't see satelitte radio as an important option for me now, but would like to keep that option open for later addition.

#3 ·
jkjjpc said:
Are all new E60s pre-wired for Sirrius? I don't see an option for pre-wiring. I don't see satelitte radio as an important option for me now, but would like to keep that option open for later addition.
IMO satellite radio is just like TiVo. You don't really think you want/need it, but after you have it you wonder how you ever did without it.

#4 ·
I agree, didn't think I would want it but I have it now, and I think I have listened to over the air radio 4 times over the last 3 weeks since I owned the car and that counts the first day when it wasn't activated yet

#5 ·
tcoz said:
IMO satellite radio is just like TiVo. You don't really think you want/need it, but after you have it you wonder how you ever did without it.
Yep. My iPod has over 2000 songs on it - and I thought I'd never need or even want Sirius. Then my wife got it in her car - and I'm hooked. Its also a GREAT way to experience new bands and music because every song is clearly labled.

Jkj, Give yourself a Christmas present! :thumbup:

#6 ·
Sirius Can Present Problems

I have a real problem with Sirius.

Everytime I think I have my presets the way I want them, I find something else that I like.

Sirius has so many music channels, that the choices can become difficult. It has also broadeded my music horizons substantially.

Having Sirius in my E60 steered me to Dish Network instead of Direct TV, because they carry about a hundred of the Sirius channels.

:drive:

#8 ·
Sirius or XM? It really comes down to personal preference for the content. For example, I have both Sirius and XM at home - if I could only keep one, it would be Sirius for the two NPR channels (they include some great programs my local affiliate does not carry, and broadcast the good programs 3-4 times daily).

Checkout xmfan.com and siriusbackstage.com for user comments that may help you choose. Or take advantage of the "3 days free on your computer" offers to check both out personally.

In any case, if you're buying a BMW, Sirius is your only choice.

#9 ·
We have XM in our house and Sirius in my car. My preference would be for XM but they are both great. The only thing I like a bit less about Sirius is they actually have DJs on the music channels and in my opinion they spend a little too much time talking. On XM, there are not actual DJs so aside from the occasional XM station plug, it is all music. But it's not a huge deal, I do love the Sirius in my car. Especially the E Street Radio they are running right now on Channel 10. 24 hrs a day of Bruce Springsteen. Don't listen to it all the time, but anytime you need a fix, it on.

#11 ·
What KSCarrol says about DJ's is true for many channels, but not all. XM has deejays on their Oldies channels (50's, 60's) which I sometimes find grating. But they also have some nice touches - classic ads from the 50's and 60's; honoring and "impersonating" a different AM radio station from the 60's every Friday afternoon.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.