BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Repair estimate please

1K views 16 replies 7 participants last post by  vintage42 
#1 · (Edited)
I was a victim of a hit and run. My car was hit and now it in need in some extensive body work. Fortunately, I have full coverage. I have reported the claim and am waiting on an adjuster to give me an estimate. I need a new hood, a new right headlight, the bumper has been pushed into my tire so its grinding if I try to drive. My passenger side front wheel well liner is also damaged. This also damaged the side panel slightly and knocked my mirror off my windshield. I think my deductible is $500.00. Based on this information and the attached picture, do you guys have a ballpark estimate on how much this is going to come out to? Thanks guys in advance for your help

Attachments

See less See more
#6 ·
Usually, if the insurance company says it is totaled, the car goes to the junk yard and you get paid what the insurance company thinks it is worth. Sometimes you can buy it back from the insurance company, but as was previously said this is usually not financially advisable unless you can do the work to fix it up yourself.

#8 · (Edited)
One cannot tell how much damage has been done from a picture. If they were estimators who said it was not totaled, then what they said is probably true. Whether a car is a total loss depends on the cost of repair in relation to the value of the car.
For example, I had an 17-year old car that was rear ended. The estimate equaled the value, in a state where an estimate that was 70% of the value required the car to be totaled. The car was bought new and still pristine so I wanted to keep it.
I surrendered my plate and title to the state DMV who gave me a Salvage title. Based on that, the insurance company sent me a check for the estimate. I repaired the car, had the state DMV inspect the receipts and the car, and they gave me a Rebuilt title and a plate.

#9 ·
Did those two guys have any experience with bodywork?

Bodywork is expensive. My GTI had a minor scrape on the rear bumper. The repair bill was right under $2,000. Fortunately the repair was covered by the other guy's insurance.

A 14 year old car with extensive body damage and other damage still to be discovered, I wouldn't be hopeful.

#10 ·
I'd guess around $5K for the repair. The hood is over $1K by itself. Add in the various bits and pieces and you're up to $2500. Paint. labor and profit gets near $5k in a hurry. The rest is between you and the insurance co. They will probably put the value at around $7500.

#11 ·
I've had pretty much the same damage 2x on my roadster. First time, I did the work, but not paint. Total was around 3500, and I never got the radiator support banged out enough to make all the body panel gaps look right. Second time some one hit me, a bit worse then yours, but the other guys insurance paid for the repairs. It was 6800. Granted they used only BMW replacements, and I managed to have some older damage included in the fix, but the estimates here of 3500 are probably not far off. Costs mount up quickly, hood is like 1100, and must be painted, headlights are around 750 each ( for BMW ), plus you say you have door damage and side mirror damage. And that's not considering labor, and you get what you pay for, like anything else. You can sometimes pick up parts here and on other Z3 boards cheap. For instance, I have two bumper supports I never used, I'd donate them to the cause, if you need them. Good luck.

#17 · (Edited)
An estimate should come from a body shop. What you got sounds like an offer from the insurance adjustor to settle for his estimate.

You should get an estimate from the best body shop you can find and ask the insurance company to accept it. Otherwise you may find the $4,200 will be less than the estimate from the best body shop, and you will have to use a cheaper shop or make up the difference.

A very good insurance company will know the best body shop in your area and might even have a relationship with it, and will pay their estimate.

#15 · (Edited)
OK, I spend way too much time reading BMW forums. But I've never heard of a non-Z3 BMW headlights drop fitting into a Z3.

Yes, people have taken good Z3 headlights, opened them up, and fitted HIDs. But this is expensive and not a process for the faint of heart. I just can't believe the insurance company will cover the cost of a new Z3 headlight plus the the cost of HID conversion.

Beemo1991, what part number did the adjustor provide? At a minimum, I would have this double checked by a BMW shop.

Personally, before accepting the insurance company's settlement, I would have the car taken to the best body shop in the area and have another estimate done. And I understand the car is not driveable and I'd have to cover the towing charge.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.