Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > General BMW

General BMW
Use this forum to talk about general BMW news/stories and to chat with fellow enthusiasts about the direction that BMW is going in for their cars and/or motorcycles!

Old 11-16-2013, 08:30 PM

Mein Auto: 04 330cic, 04 K1200RS
Question 2011 X3 low miles but not CPO - Red Flag?

Posting here because this is really about CPO, could be any model. I'm looking at a first titled July 2011 X3 that my daughter is considering buying. It has 9,xxx miles and appears to be in fine shape. But it's NOT being offered as CPO, which seems odd with such low mileage. Shouldn't this be a prime CPO candidate? The Carfax shows up as clean on accidents, but the owner history might be saying something. First owner had the vehicle for only 8 months on a lease. I'm looking for any thoughts/comments - "No worries" or "Run, Forrest, Run!" ?? It's now in Pennsylvania at a BMW Dealer. I'm wondering if this was a "dealer buy back" situation. That would explain the early termination of the lease, and possibly why no CPO?

02/24/2012 Massachusetts
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Boston, MA
Title issued or updated
New owner reported
Loan or lien reported
Vehicle color noted as Black

04/23/2013 9,057 Massachusetts
Inspection Station
Boston, MA Passed safety inspection
Passed emissions inspection

05/24/2013, 9,185 miles, Dealer Inventory, Vehicle offered for sale
06/28/2013, Dealer Inventory, Vehicle offered for sale
07/30/2013, 9,676 miles, Auto Auction, Sold at auction

Last edited by Vorlauf; 11-16-2013 at 08:32 PM.
Ads by Google
Old 11-17-2013, 03:59 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 328iX
Need more info. What is the price.... below market, at or above? Weird options? ~9k miles in 14 months is not unusual and people do turn in cars they don't like

Why not ask the dealer? If you don't get a straight answer I would consider walking.

BB

Last edited by BobBNY; 11-17-2013 at 04:01 PM. Reason: spell check
Old 11-17-2013, 07:07 PM

Mein Auto: On Order
ask the dealer if it is a clean title. if they say yes and later you find out it wasnt clean you can sue. or take it to a mechanic and get it inspected
Old 11-18-2013, 05:10 PM

Mein Auto: 04 330cic, 04 K1200RS
They are asking $36,900 for it. Slightly below market for our area. No odd features, just nicely equipped. It has two dollar bill size paint scuffs that were poorly touched up.

Talked to a salesperson at the dealership today. I asked why there was no CPO on it. I got a reply I didn't expect. He said that since it was such low mileage and has two years left on the warranty, they decided it didn't need CPO as a sales incentive, and that keeps the price down by several thousand dollars.

On one hand, I guess that is a plausible explanation. On the other hand, it's also a convenient excuse if they found issues with the vehicle and could not meet CPO requirements. I tend to be the skeptic. It has had two owners in less than 24 months, that makes me wonder if it has issues.

I'm leaning towards passing on this one.
Old 11-18-2013, 10:27 PM

Mein Auto: On Order
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vorlauf View Post
They are asking $36,900 for it. Slightly below market for our area. No odd features, just nicely equipped. It has two dollar bill size paint scuffs that were poorly touched up.

Talked to a salesperson at the dealership today. I asked why there was no CPO on it. I got a reply I didn't expect. He said that since it was such low mileage and has two years left on the warranty, they decided it didn't need CPO as a sales incentive, and that keeps the price down by several thousand dollars.

On one hand, I guess that is a plausible explanation. On the other hand, it's also a convenient excuse if they found issues with the vehicle and could not meet CPO requirements. I tend to be the skeptic. It has had two owners in less than 24 months, that makes me wonder if it has issues.

I'm leaning towards passing on this one.
Yup i would pass because 2 owners with less then 9k miles
Old 11-19-2013, 06:15 AM

Mein Auto: '13 Diesel X5 & MBZ R350
Lemon buy back car ?
Old 11-19-2013, 08:41 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 750Li
Sounds like the dealer gave you a reasonable explanation. If there was paintwork on more than 2 panels I don't think they can CPO it. Also - my dealer has a ton of low mileage cars that aren't certified - for the same reason you were given.
Old 11-19-2013, 10:35 AM

Mein Auto: 09 335Cabrio zsp/11 335d
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_335i View Post
ask the dealer if it is a clean title. if they say yes and later you find out it wasnt clean you can sue. or take it to a mechanic and get it inspected
in writing. N4S
Old 11-19-2013, 10:41 AM

Mein Auto: e46, X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobBNY View Post
Need more info. What is the price.... below market, at or above? Weird options? ~9k miles in 14 months is not unusual and people do turn in cars they don't like

Why not ask the dealer? If you don't get a straight answer I would consider walking.

BB
how can you just "turn in a lease car early" because you don't like it?

That's not possible, without the lessee taking a huge financial hit.

There are a couple of scenarios....owner couldn't/wouldn't make payments, turned car in and breached lease (in which case it is good for you, means nothing wrong with car)

or, as you noted, perhaps some problem, lemon/buyback....

I have never heard of someone just turning in a lease early because they didn't like the car....again there would be real financial pain.
Old 11-19-2013, 11:14 AM

Mein Auto: '13 Diesel X5 & MBZ R350
The cost of CPO would increase the price tag to the buyer - probably best to not CPO since original warranty & maintenance is included.
I would definitely have an independent do an inspection inside and out before buying.

The specialized independent would also be able to tell if any panels were replaced, painted or any body work done - which would preclude it from being CPOed.

If there was no damages, you can always pay the dealer to CPO it and pay the $2K more...
Old 11-21-2013, 10:34 AM
Bavarian Autosport

Mein Auto: 1989 325is
As far as it being sold at auction it may have been traded in at a non-BMW dealer that had a hard time selling it. The explanation about not doing a CPO is right on the money. We bought my wife a used Toyota with 6k miles on it a couple years ago that wasn't a "certified" car and it was at a Toyota dealer. I got the exact same explanation.

CONNECT WITH US
Facebook | YouTube | DIY Tech Blog | Twitter
Old 11-25-2013, 05:02 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 Q5 3.0T / 2012 335i
The poorly painted repair is probably why this is not a CPO. If you can spot it, so can the CPO manager and a reputable dealer will not try to slide the car in the CPO program with such a paint blemish. If they do an expensive repaint on the panel or door to CPO standards, they still have to pay for CPO certification... it will just eat up all the profit margin. Also, if the paint blemishes are on 2 different body panels, I believe it may not even qualify for CPO.
The poor paint repair could be just result of a bad scratch so that in itself is not alarming. However, you should probably inspect it for signs of other body damage.

Last edited by bzcat; 11-25-2013 at 05:05 PM.