BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Stumped

794 views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  LeVandaman 
#1 ·
Problem: the idle will randomly start to climb. It normally sits at 1k but will slowly climb. It usually will end up at 1.5k but has gotten as high as 2k. It doesn't do every time I drive her but like every 3rd or 4th time (not consistently).

What I have done so far: cleaned the throttle (the contraption on top of the throttle body), ICV and the throttle body anddrained radiator and refilled with antifreeze/water.

My next guess is O2 sensor based on research but I just wanted to ask you guys to see what y'all have to say,

#3 ·
Does the 325ic have a micro switch on the throttle to sense when the throttle is at idle or fully depressed?
I know the 318i has a micro switch...when the throttle is relaxed you can just hear the faint click of the switch which tells the ECU that the engine is at idle.
If someone has tried to adjust the idle by screwing in the screw (with locking nut) or if the throttle cable is too tight...the switch will not make and the car idles erratically.

#6 ·
Yeah that could be, the previous owner let it sit up in his garage all the time so most of the rubber hoses and various rubber or plastic components are not in the best of shape. Replacing all of that is on my to-do list but is going to move up if the O2 sensor isn't the problem.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.