BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

extended warranty opinions

3K views 15 replies 7 participants last post by  chuck92103 
#1 ·
I am looking at buying an 02 M5 with 23k miles on it. Warranty runs thru 4/06. I was inquiring about an extended warranty thru BMW (not interested in an aftermarket company). Cost would be around $3500 for 2 more years- the added 50k miles really doesn't matter as it won't exceed that figure first.

Any ideas on what dealer cost is on this?
Any insight from current owners on if it is worthwhile?

Thanks,
Bruce

#2 ·
Bruce said:
I am looking at buying an 02 M5 with 23k miles on it. Warranty runs thru 4/06. I was inquiring about an extended warranty thru BMW (not interested in an aftermarket company). Cost would be around $3500 for 2 more years- the added 50k miles really doesn't matter as it won't exceed that figure first.

Thanks,
Bruce
I'd check with Carbone BMW who, at one time, offered great deals for BMW's Extended Maintenance plans to Bimmerfest members. While different from the Warranty you seek, pehaps the precedent applies.

#4 ·
t-one said:
Any takes on aftermarket exhaust for the M5??
try the classifieds. They work! :thumbup:

#5 ·
Bruce said:

Thanks,
Bruce
Interesting. If you are buying from the BMW dealership they should CPO the car themselves. This costs the dealership (at least when I was buying over a year ago) about $1200, so they should not be charging you $3500 for this. If you are not buying from a dealership, an aftermarket warranty may run that much, but you have to know that your BMW dealership will work with the company.

Assuming you are buying from a BMW dealership, I would work to make them fold the CPO into the final deal, at no more than $1000 to 1200.

Good luck! Go for the car if it is a good example - you will love it!

#6 ·
KevinM said:
Interesting. If you are buying from the BMW dealership they should CPO the car themselves. This costs the dealership (at least when I was buying over a year ago) about $1200, so they should not be charging you $3500 for this. If you are not buying from a dealership, an aftermarket warranty may run that much, but you have to know that your BMW dealership will work with the company.

Assuming you are buying from a BMW dealership, I would work to make them fold the CPO into the final deal, at no more than $1000 to 1200.

Good luck! Go for the car if it is a good example - you will love it!
yes absolutely the dealer should py for the CPO program. Mine was certified and they told me it cost them 1200 bucks. So by no means, dont pay for it! 3500 :tsk:

#7 ·
razzy530 said:
yes absolutely the dealer should py for the CPO program. Mine was certified and they told me it cost them 1200 bucks. So by no means, dont pay for it! 3500 :tsk:
KEVIN M!!!!!!
I just wanted to share with you that the car you have is probably the best car ever made in four doors of any manufacturer-ever! Can you describe the feeling everytime you start the engine of that M5? I need to know. I only have a 530i but i love it.

I once drove a 2001 M5 silver. The guy let me test drive it. A guy who lived in NJ but worked in Maryland (physician) He told me how he tags with 911's all the time on the way home or to work. Its an incredible machine with 5 seats and a luggage compartment. I had the thing at about 120mph in 4th gear, swinging between traffic in a 60mph zone, too afraid to shift it into 5th cause i got my two hands on the wheel. Man what a feeling.

#9 ·
razzy530 said:
KEVIN M!!!!!!
I just wanted to share with you that the car you have is probably the best car ever made in four doors of any manufacturer-ever! Can you describe the feeling everytime you start the engine of that M5? I need to know. I only have a 530i but i love it.

I once drove a 2001 M5 silver. The guy let me test drive it. A guy who lived in NJ but worked in Maryland (physician) He told me how he tags with 911's all the time on the way home or to work. Its an incredible machine with 5 seats and a luggage compartment. I had the thing at about 120mph in 4th gear, swinging between traffic in a 60mph zone, too afraid to shift it into 5th cause i got my two hands on the wheel. Man what a feeling.
razzy530 - thanks, and I completely agree with you!

I had a 528 and 530 (both 5-speeds) each for three years before making the jump last year to the M5. I loved my six cylinder E39s, esp. the 530, which is such a wonderfully balanced car. I was going to keep my 530 but drove an M5 at during a two day driving course at the BMW plant in SC. Well, after that all my "arguments" to myself for not getting an M5 (I don't need the power, gas mileage, blah, blah...) evaporated.

The car has more than lived up to my expectations - I still grin every time I start it up every morning and hear the V-8 rumble. It is amazingly fast for a sedan.

#10 ·
Bruce said:
Not buying from a dealer. Warranty is the same as a CPO, but the car is not a CPO.
On m5board.com, there are many threads about aftermarket warranties that you may find interesting.

Here is one of the latest threads: http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=58093&page=1&pp=35

I personally would recommend some type of warranty. As you know, they are generally reliable cars, but if something does go wrong, it can become very expensive.

#11 ·
KevinM said:
On m5board.com, there are many threads about aftermarket warranties that you may find interesting.

Here is one of the latest threads: http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=58093&page=1&pp=35

I personally would recommend some type of warranty. As you know, they are generally reliable cars, but if something does go wrong, it can become very expensive.
Thanks. The good news is the car has only been to the dealer for work 3 times. One was the 15k mile oil change, another was at 5k for the clutch (clutch worked great when I test drove it.

I am not really info an aftermarket warranty just the BMW one. I want to find one where a dealer will sell it to me at cost +...100? 200?

#12 ·
Bruce said:
Thanks. The good news is the car has only been to the dealer for work 3 times. One was the 15k mile oil change, another was at 5k for the clutch (clutch worked great when I test drove it.

I am not really info an aftermarket warranty just the BMW one. I want to find one where a dealer will sell it to me at cost +...100? 200?
BMW dealers are not allowed to sell the extended warranty to anyone but the original owner. If you are buying from the original owner and the car is still within the orginal warranty, the owner can buy the warranty and then it will transfer with the car after it is sold. I did this for the buyer of my 530. Cost was somewhere around $3K as a recall.

However, you may be able to find a dealer who will CPO a car for you. In this situation, the dealer buys the car from the original owner, CPOs it and then sells it to you. The dealer is able to make a fast (small) profit and you get the CPO. I did this - I was charged the $1200 for the CPO (the amount the dealer has to pay BMW to CPO a car) plus $1000 for "paperwork" (read: profit). I know of a guy who was able to get dealer to do it for $500 profit. However, not many dealers are willing to do this.

Good luck.

#13 ·
I haven't read any bad things about 1sourceautowarranty.com any they are cheap and the warranty period is longer than the BMW one. I think I will skip the BMW one and look into that once the car gets closer to going out of warranty (next April).

#14 ·
Bruce said:
I haven't read any bad things about 1sourceautowarranty.com any they are cheap and the warranty period is longer than the BMW one. I think I will skip the BMW one and look into that once the car gets closer to going out of warranty (next April).
Great, let us know when you get the car! :beerchug:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.