BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

How Long Should I Keep My E39?

4K views 25 replies 22 participants last post by  Edgy36-39 
#1 ·
I have a 2002 530i with 75K miles. It's the only BMW I have ever owned, and I have had no major problems at all (knock on wood). With previous cars, I would start thinking about trading it in at this mileage or before, but I love this car, it's running great, it's paid for, and I really don't want to give it up. So my question is, how long before I should expect some major, costly repairs?? The small things I've had done have been expensive (even at an indie mechanic) so I know the major stuff is going to really hurt. (I'm not mechanically inclined, so don't do any of the work myself.) Any thoughts?

#2 ·
I have 50k and like you, I have had no probs yet. I also love this car. When I told my indy mechanic that I was thinking of selling it, he said why, it is the perfect car. :) I think I will be keeping my 5 for a while longer.

I have read about misc. things in these forums that need to be changed at about the mileage you say. I think one was the water pump. In our model yr, it may be made of plastic and tends to break at about 80k from what I have read. Can NE1 confirm this?

#3 ·
confirmed. requires complete cooling system overhaul. do a search, and you will find plenty of info on this site regarding. good luck.

#4 ·
If you like the car it might be worthwhile to purchase an extended warranty policy from a reputable company. I'm personally going with Mercury Platinum after doing quite a bit of research on various BMW and Mercedes forums. Seeing some of my friend's repairs on his CLK500 that were covered under Mercury Platinum plan and speaking with both my local dealer and my favorite indie mechanic about this only reaffirmed my decision to get the warranty. Since both your cars are out of warranty expect to pay a hefty sum, but you still get a decent deal if your mileage is under 60K/mi

#16 ·
HA! Toyota maybe, but you'll feel the soul being sucked out of you while you drive it. Honda's are no more reliable than anything else on the road. In fact, I'll no longer buy Honda's betwen 96-2002 due to regular transimission failures.

E39s are awesome, I'm driving a '97 with 175k miles and it still runs great. BTW, we don't take care of it at all as it's a shop car. It get's cleaned when it rains, oil gets changed when I remember to think about it and it gets vacuum'd when the wind blows strong and the doors are open. Most reliable car I've ever had.

#7 ·
The key is the preventive screenings/maintenances; just like us (human), get checked up with our family doctor once a year.

Since these BMWs don't talk to us w/ our language, sometimes it's very difficult to communicate with them. The key is to replace everything before the parts start to break.

#8 ·
+1 for cooling system replacement before you start to have problems.

#9 ·
how long you ask? forever and 2 days, exactly

#10 ·
Like you, my car is paid for. Hence, maintenance costs, averaged over time is far less than the cost of a new car. And the driving experience of an e39 is incomparable. Bottom line, it is far cheaper to keep this car running and far more enjoyable than any other car I can think of. The ultimate driving machine!

For the record, mine has 68K and I am planning to change the cooling system as well as suspension components in the next 25K or so. No rush, just preventive maintenance.

#13 ·
Considering the number of complaints you read here about the later models I don't think you can go wrong holding on to your E-39 as long as possible. It's got everything you need and none of the stuff people complain about. Mine has 120K on it and still feels great. Recently had major tranny maintenance and will need replacement of the ABS/DSC module soon. Also had 3 window regulators replaced. Will probably get all cooling system components replaced before the fall. I plan to keep it for a couple more years. Best car I've had in my 54 years of driving all types of vehicles.

#11 ·
Op

How long?

I myself would never be afraid of doing maintenance or learning maintenance on a vehicle. This is just common sense to me...But obviously not everyone is the same. So In your case I would serioulsy take a look at 90K to 95k Banks still loan money for used cars under 100K...So get out of it what you can and GL...although NOW is not a sellers market...just do to simple economics...GL

#14 · (Edited)
The cheapest car to buy is the one you already own. Yes, it will need a cooling system rebuild in the near future, but that will only equal the price of a couple of payments on that new car. Besides, what will you replace it with, that you will like more than the E39? What ever it is, it will cost BIG $$$$.

Many folks around here have a couple hundred thousand miles on their E39's. Learn to do some of your own maintenance an it becomes much cheaper to own.

#15 ·
Are you asking if you should dump your car at 80k?

If you want a car that will never break get a toyota. Trade off is that youll be safely asleep behind the wheel shortly thereafter.

Owning a BMW on the other hand should be a calculated risk. if youre up to the challenge of doing some of the maintenance yourself like the cooling system, this forum will be a lifesaver. Same with getting an idea of what else might be comming down the pipe in terms of parts to be replaced.

As a side note, id also recommend getting into your local bmwcca chapter. Not only for the additional people help (your chapter in particular is the largest in the nation, and very, very active), but the $$ benefits for parts and labor at local shops and dealers will likely pay for itself.

Im getting buried in my BMW.

just my .02

#17 ·
Only you can really answer that question. Sell when the car isn't exciting to you anymore, and you resent the maintenance you need to do. As others confirmed, you need to do cooling system now.

I'm not especially mechanical either, but these cars force you to learn to some extent. Learn to tackle what you can. I did the FSU replacement myself, and next up is the right front speed sensor when I have time. Lots of helpful folks around.

Where in Nova are you, and what indie are you going to? I'm in Alexandria, and go to Gary Martin at Martin Motorsports. Not always cheap, but I trust what he tells me.

#18 ·
Thanks for the many helpful posts. Will definitely ask my mechanic about the cooling system. No, I can't imagine going back to a Honda after having had the "ultimate driving experience."

Edgy 36-39, I live in Arlington and take my car to J&F Motors. I have found them to be good, reliable, and honest -- they don't try to talk me into a lot of unnecessary work. But they ain't cheap.

#20 ·
I agree wuth Lurch09; it is in my Will now "bury me in my E39"

maintenance of e39s is not cheap, and one have to always keep an eye on the subject; I am not a handy type of man, now I am learning to open the hood!

Parts are expensive, but parts for other brands like chevy or honda , etc are also expensive; just browse parts stores in internet..
The dealers are always stealers regardless of the car brand.
Mechanics would normally charge by the hour and not by the window sticker of the car.

sell your car only to regret it and then buy another one.

If you keep it, replace the radiator, waterpump, fanclutch, main hoses, thermostat; is not really expensive (if you shop right) compared to the peace of mind you will get and the joy of driving your car.

most importantly, driving your e39 WILL NEVER BE COMPARABLE TO driving a honda, toyota, chevy, however reliable they might be.

#24 ·
keep the car until you dont want it any more....Or are bored, then start searching for another Bimmer to replace it with, I had my 540 for close to 5 yrs, after I had done everything I had wanted to it and the miles got up there I sold it, but that was after I was kind of board from owning the same car for 5 yrs.

#25 ·
Maybe you should learn a bit of DIY. Most procedures on this forum do not require a brain surgeon degree to work on.

Leave the BIG stuff for the shop (muffler, catalytic, struts et.c).

As long as you check into the forum once a week, read the stuff around here, do routine maintenance and don't abuse your car, your car will easily lasts to 200K.

On roadfly forum, there is a fellow with 311K using just dino oil and routine maintenance:
http://bimmer.roadfly.com/bmw/forums/e39/7676758-1.html

#26 ·
Edgy 36-39, I live in Arlington and take my car to J&F Motors. I have found them to be good, reliable, and honest -- they don't try to talk me into a lot of unnecessary work. But they ain't cheap.
Thanks Bob, good to know. I'd describe Martin Motorsport the same exact way. FYI I just bought a code reader, next time your engine light comes on I can help you read problem and save a little $$.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.