BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Winter Wheel/Tire Set

6K views 25 replies 11 participants last post by  E36toF30 
#1 ·
Decided to get the Enkei Racing PF01 rims (18.2 lbs/35mm offset) with the Bridgestone Potenza RE970AS Pole Position (Ultra High Performance All-Season 28 lbs) tires for this winter (46.2 lbs/wheel). Square 18x8 225/45R18 91W. As this is a regular tire and not a RFT, my plan is to carry a small compressor, slime plug kit, and a jack kit in the trunk to fix flats. I have a compressor and plug kit readily available. I'm somewhat at a loss for a small jack kit that will fit the F30.

Does anyone have any experience/recommendations on where I can find a compact jack kit that will fit the F30 and is reasonably priced?

On another note, I recently saw a 2012 Porsche Carrera S promotional video clip and it had wheels very similar in design to the Enkei Racing PF01. At first, I wasn't too certain how it would look on the bimmer. But after seeing it on the Porsche, I'm now very optimistic that it will enhance the overall sports appeal on the bimmer.

The wheels were delivered with the TPM, tires installed, and balanced. Just waiting for the weather to cool down before making the swap from summer tires.

It will be interesting to check the weight of the OEM wheel/tire combination.

Attachments

See less See more
#5 · (Edited)
I don't want to thread jack, but I have a question and this thread already has the attention of the winter-tire-folk.

My lease will be up at the end of the year and I'll be ordering an F30 335xi in just a couple weeks. I have a set of the 17" Rial Salerno wheels for my E90, but I've noticed that even the base line F30 335s come with 18x8" wheels. Much like how 16"s would not fit on the E9x 335, will 17"s not fit over the calipers on the F30 335?

Am I screwed? Should I be asking if anyone in the E9x forum wants to buy a set of winters?

/edit - I just went to tirerack and looked... the "preferred" tire/wheel package for the 2013 335xi ZSL is 16"???? Really????

#6 ·
Wheel size can change but the overall tire/wheel combination needs to be the same for the speedo to read correctly, odometer to log miles correctly, etc. Generally speaking, with winter tires you want a smaller wheel (larger/taller treadwall on the tire) and want the tire to be skinnier as they will be much more effective in deep snow than large sporty rims with itty bitty tires.

#7 ·
My concern is fitting 17" wheels over the calipers. Example: on the E90 335, you could not run 16" wheels. Seeing that the 2013 335 comes with 18's on the base line, I'm concerned that my 17's won't fit over the calipers... i hoping the tirerack suggested packages are correct (i have no reason to believe they aren't, but confirmation would be nice).

#11 ·
rial salernos in ET 30 should fit ok. it shows up as one of the 17" options for winter on the F30,

#8 ·
I am going with out TPMS for winter. I don't see what the big deal is.

I scored nearly new 17x8 OZ Superleggeras in black for next to nothing. Great wheel, strong and light and the black will be low maintenance. I also scored used 235/45/17 Dunlop Sport M3's. I had them years ago on my Viggen and loved 'em.

#15 · (Edited)
Does anyone have any experience/recommendations on where I can find a compact jack kit that will fit the F30 and is reasonably priced?
I have a BMW compact jack kit that I purchased for my previous E9X series; hopefully the jack will fit my future F30-335i. It is an excellent kit that included a wheel bolt socket wrench and a folding tire blocker. I believe the F30 wheel bolts have the same size heads.

You might wish to enquire if this kit is still available from your BMW dealer.

#17 ·
I don't see why he would need any of it for the first 50K miles, he can call BMW assist and have them help with a flat... assuming he's close to civilization.

As to changing the winter and summer wheels, costco sells really nice floor jacks for like $120. You will for sure want to invest in an air compressor and air wrench (as well as sockets) if you will be doing this a couple of times a year. I could change mine in about 15-25 minutes depending on temperature.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.