BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

97 740i - PCV (OSV) Valve

8K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  scellpt 
#1 ·
I live in england, please can anyone tell me how I can get hold of a PCV valve sometimes known as the oil seperator valve for 97 740I e38. I really need it

Sent from my T-Mobile G1 using Bimmer App

#2 ·
OSV means oil separator valve
PCVV means positive cranckase ventilation valve . This is how BMW name it!

A lot of guys calls the PCVV , OSV or the rear cover of the intake. Wrong. We should use the therms that BMW use also.

OSV -oil separator valve is located behind the timing chain on the driver side, you need to take timing chain off in order to change that....probably you were thinking to change the PCVV-positive cranckcase ventilation valve AKA back cover of the intake? If you do you might want to check this video from the E38.org site :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4qz4rKtId0&playnext=1&list=PL71DF35202252277A&index=18

Good luck!

#4 ·
well we all know the symtoms like rough idle ,blue smoke, hard start, ect. am almost sure its that thing in the back of the intake called pcvv valve . what i really need is to find out where i can buy one besides from the bmw stealers/dealers. i try ebay for the past 2years and its as if it dont exist, please do wat u can to help me.

#5 ·
HI there again,
You can try AutohausAZ, or http://www.rmeuropean.com/bmw-parts.aspx#Category

I order my PCVV from RM and I received a Victor Reinz brand. After like 3 Months it start to make a whistle sound. I recommend to buy another brand or OEM.

AllData calls the Cyclone OSV and the ,,cover" PCVV and this is name on the receipt that I have from the dealership.

OSV is oil separator valve and acts like a cyclone-type liquid/vapor type (let's the oil drops to go down the tube into the oil pan and the oil vapors via a pressure control valve (PCVV) up in the intake) .

Good Luck!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.