Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 01-31-2015, 03:39 PM
Cray

Mein Auto: Porsche Macan S SportDsgn
The Kia is a knockoff because anyone with working eyes can see that it's a blatant ripoff of industry leaders.

A copy is a copy and doesn't command the price of the originator, for a reason. And it looks like the market agrees.
Old 02-01-2015, 02:43 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: F11 530D
Not about the original aspects of things in this thread.
But, my Samsung S5 at 500 is a very functional appareile.
While all the BMW electronics called BMW disconnected costed me the tenfold and is only partial usefull.
With the voice recognition of the samsung a link to the cars speakers and antenna and the nice car screeen, I would not miss any of the German "inventions" build in my car. A little besides the original topic, but well I did not start the Nokia/Apple/Samsung debate in here. (Nokia was forgotten till now, as was Mercedes Benz, as being the first founders of good mobiles and cars).

Last edited by Sophisto; 02-01-2015 at 02:45 AM.
Old 02-01-2015, 04:18 AM

Mein Auto: See Sig
Quote:
Originally Posted by markl53 View Post
Whether you might like to admit it or not, performance alone is not the only reason "many" people buy a luxury car, including BMW. In addition to quality, performance and features, the luxury "stratus" provides cachet, image, supposedly more coddling service, and many other intangibles that, at least historically, were not present in lower vehicle brands. Come on really, you buy BMW, MB, Audi and Lexus, right? Why? Don't say you don't like owning and driving cars that others can only dream about or lust after. Let's stop right here. Are you going to agree that there IS a degree of "whatever you want to call it -- status", that drives your continued desire to drive, shall we say, expensive and high-end cars? Look in the mirror and tell me "NO". That said, for many years, the "lower" cars have been providing what are now standard features that did not exist at that level before. They are able to provide the tech features, visible "bells and whistles", that the "common man" can easily possess. As a digression, I remember when I ordered my 1981 Cutlass Supreme with the Astroroof option as it was known then. I was among very few people driving that modest level of car with a glass sunroof, oh, and automatic climate control, power locks, etc. Now everyone has those items. The envelope of features is being pushed, and now a $20K car has most of that equipment.

My point is, a Hyundai or Kia, for now, can never provide the intangible status of owning a more prestigious car brand. Not having driven them, and I'll admit that, I seriously doubt they provide the driving level and other "hidden" engineering performance that has made the premium brands famous over decades of car building. The fact that my cousin's husband lusts after MB, BMW, Audi, Infiniti (they never owned a Lexus), and dumps them all for the likes of a Hyundai that is "pretty", and provides all the visible perks, less the status/panache/image whatever, is testament that these brands are continuing to chip away at the levels they so dearly want to crush.

In my lifetime, I will not fall for this charade -- I will continue to buy and drive cars I deem are truly quality. A cheaper car that has no resale value, poor drivability, questionable engineering and the like, is no bargain. Don't get me wrong, I don't think you have to spend $60K for a quality car. I just don't equate high quality with the Hyundai and Kia brands. Beauty is skin deep, as the saying goes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillInDenver View Post
You mean "pick on someone your own size?" I think Kia has thrown the first punch though. The tagline for the K900 on their website is "challenge the luxury you know" and they have a whole section devoted to a comparison among the K900, LS460, 7 series, and A8.

Kia is absolutely inviting this comparison. They could be saying "why buy a Toyota Camry when, for just a little more you could have so much more car from us" But they aren't.
Y'all both missed my point. Go back and read my responses again and the context of what I said.
2013 BMW 1600 GT---2011 Kawasaki Ninja 1000---2012 Ducati Panigale
Old 02-01-2015, 07:14 AM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: 2014 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjsC6 View Post
Y'all both missed my point. Go back and read my responses again and the context of what I said.
Wow, what a way to defend your views, LOL. I haven't missed anything. For anyone who feels the Hyundai or KIA "premium" models are good values, and want to replace your E350's, A7's and F10's with one, please go ahead. All the more power to you. Oh, and please let us know when you do, so we can see the pics!

2014 535i Individual | Azurite Black/Amaro Brown Merino | Premium | Cold | PDC | Rear Camera | Anthracite Hdr
Prior: 2011 535i AT | Black Sapphire/Cinnamon | Premium | Heated Sts | Nav | Sirius | Anthracite Hdr & Trim
Prior: 2008 335i 6MT Sedan | Black Sapphire/Terra Leather | Premium | Cold | CA | OEM Alarm
Prior: 2005 330i 6MT | Black Sapphire/Sand Leather | Premium | Cold | UGO | OEM Alarm

Last edited by markl53; 02-01-2015 at 07:15 AM.
Old 02-01-2015, 12:48 PM
Cray

Mein Auto: Porsche Macan S SportDsgn
2015 Hyundai Genesis (or Kia K900)

That's what it comes down to. Who's gonna pay $60K for a Kia? A high margin product needs both tangible and intangible values to work for it. Though the true benchmarks prove that the INTANGIBLES are funded by the tangibles. Which is the thing that Kia/Hyundai or Samsung for that matter haven't even scratched the surface on. They just don't get it right now.
'15 Porsche Macan S SportDesign | White/Black (Alcantara/Leather), PDK, 20" RS Spyder's w/ Colored Crests & Summer Tires, Air Suspension w/ PASM, High-Gloss Black Trim, Premium Package, Comfort Lighting, HD Radio, Tints.

'15 Mazda 3 i Sport.

Recents: '13 BMW 535i M Sport: Black/Black, Prem/Tech/Sport Auto/etc. M-B's: '11/10/06 E350 "Sport", '02 S500 w/ Every Option.

Old 02-02-2015, 07:06 PM

Mein Auto: 13 Prius III/12 Honda Ody
Wow, long thread.

I'm looking for a car for my parents, both 76yo, and a Certified 2013 Genesis at just under 20K is looking like the winner. The depreciation of the 2015 in two years will make it an amazing buy too, especially with the AWD.

A Hyundai oriented thread of this length (albeit with many tangents), in a BMW enthusiast site, says a lot about Hyundai's direction.
AND LOOKING FOR MY NEXT BIMMER!!!
'08 e90 335i ED delivered SOLD
e46 325xi SOLD
Z-3 roadster 2.8 SOLD