BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Bit the tuning bullet and dropped my car off at ESS tuning today!

5K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  mark_m5 
#1 ·
Just did the baselines on my 100% stock 2011 550i... AJ is tuning as we speak, excited to see the results! For those who haven't looked into their shop, it just happened to be about 20 minutes from me in AZ so I had to stop by and look! Pretty amazing what they do here with the custom blower and turbo kits, tuning etc. Getting off the dyno before me was a supercharged R8 V10,and also a couple M5s in the back getting larger turbos, some AMGs getting their larger custom blower kits etc, so needless to say I was impressed and felt a lot better about someone tuning my new investment. I will follow up later today with dyno numbers as he gets closer to being finished as well as videos, dyno sheets etc. Baseline was strong with 390 rwhp and 444 tq!

Youtube vid for baseline (wasn't sure if you could encode them here)
https://youtu.be/bGlxU7fVoNE

See less See more
#3 ·
When did you have your tune done there and when did you start having problems? With a statement like that, I'm just assuming you've also seen him tune in person so you can verify this fact?

#4 ·
If supercharging my E39 was legal in Cali, I'd much rather do the ESS upgrade for $5k than the Dinan upgrade for $50k. Dinan's marketing says that they upgrade everything that's likely to break due to the increase in power, and they have supposedly stress tested everything, and include beefed up parts for everything that broke in their stress testing.

ESS maybe not so much - they go the traditional route of "strap on a blower, flash ECU and go for it." The cars come from the factory over-engineered ("with a safety margin") so I think (IMHO) if you're not tracking the car, you're not likely to break the things Dinan broke or thought might break.

If there is a Dinan alternative for your car, you might get a quote for laughs and see what it includes. Maybe beefed up sub-frame, stronger drive shaft, etc. Depending on how much more power you're going to be putting through it. And how often you'll be using WOT for acceleration...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.