BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

List Something You Discovered About Your Car AFTER You Bought It...

89K views 405 replies 156 participants last post by  dallz 
#1 ·
This should be both informative and fun. There's a great thread of this in the 5 forum.

I'll go first as I just learned something today...

1) I thought the microphone for voice commands was in the steering wheel and found out it's above the rearview mirror.

Also

2) I learned you can't use the backrest adjustment button unless the car door is open.

#49 ·
its the little thing that make up happy

#50 ·
Okay, this is lame. Was just driving and my daughter was in the back. The car got hot in the sun, she wanted the air conditioning on high, so I put the temp all the way down, but the fan wasn't strong. I try to turn it up, and she says "just turn the auto knob." I didn't know you could adjust the fan level manually with the knob--when I looked closer, I noticed a little fan symbol on the left and a big fan symbol on the right. Duuuh...:confused:

#51 ·
I recently learned that manual trans 6 series have the "Hill Descent Control" (HDC), that prevents the vehicle from rolling back into another car on a steep hill until the clutch is popped. Subaru has been doing this for years, but it's nice to see it on these cars.

#378 ·
The real purpose of HDC ( adapted to BMW's from Range Rover , when they were owned by BMW ) is to provide a controlled descent of an snow, ice, mud covered road.
When activated you take your feet off the gas and brake, and the car determines the safe speed considering the steepness and surface conditions. The vehicle controls the throttle and brake, you just steer. It's a little freaky 1st time you use it!
Btw- you can press the gas to speed up, but braking deactivates it....... At least on my RR

#55 ·
I think i might have been a bit too amazed by the cup holder holder in the back storage area. Got in the car with the wife and tried it out thought thats damned cool, she looked at me, and put her drink in there on top of the cup holder in a cup holder...

#57 · (Edited)
Maybe sombody nows this...

On a merc 220cdi with auto transmission, when you are waithing for green light, you can leave it in Drive and just push the braking pedal down for a second, than you can take your foot off the pedal, the car won't move until you accelerate...

Is this olso with my BMW 6 2006 convertible possible? Or is this somting from Merc only...

#60 ·
I discovered by accident that if you reset your ipod while it's connected to idrive, you can control the ipod manually instead of by the i-drive knob.

#61 ·
Nice color

that is a nice color man wow :thumbup:

#62 ·
I learned that the mysterious beep beep beeeeeeeeep goes off every HOUR!

#63 ·
Haha you can turn that off. It's in the setting somewhere.

#68 ·
Not sure if my auto setting for my lights is acting up or maybe its something that I may now just finding out with my headlights. I noticed that now in the winter when I have my lights set to auto it comes on in the garage but when i go out side in the sunshine it does not go off, the headlights stay on. In the summer i know for sure that it goes off once the car is outside. I am thinking that the system may be taking into account that it's winter months and driving? If so then this would be something new to me.

#72 ·
Also, I learned that performance and ride are much better when the tyres are warm.

#79 ·
Well one thing that I learned that because I am not a soccer mom and drive a dodge caravan and I drive a very sexy 645 cic in sliver with red trim. The local police force feel the need to keep stopping and giving me warnings now either Dunkin Donuts is closed or he has serious issues with a BBW and wanting to look down my top. Again today as I pulled out of my street there he was saying I was doing 42 in 30 and my valentine didnt even pick him up so he must have a built in radar in his HEAD.......I will not be beaten and give in and get an old ladies heap

#82 ·
Sorry to hear about your troubles TextJade but the 6 do bring attention, good and bad.

#83 ·
TEXTJADE, I have one better for you. I'm not sure if you ever seen the show jacked, but I was boxed in by the auto theft task force...guns drawn and the whole 9 yards. The excuse was, we just had a 6 carjacked......did you not run my plates and see this was not that vehicle?

#84 ·
Learned about BMW Search which lets you find addresses using Google and then click on the address to have the navigation system guide you to the destination. Search is also good to find the lowest price of gas close to where you are.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.