BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

e39 rear window removal

15K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  De_Nelson 
#1 ·
Naturally, another one of my window regulators went bust, so I'm trying to remove the old one (right rear). I've read everything I can find so far about getting the regulator out, and it sounds like early models came with a 10mm screw at the top that was easily removable with an open-ended wrench; but late models came with a torx screw that is completely non-removable without the window out of the door because the bottom of the window is in the way.

So, how do I get this window out? The front ones come out no problem, but the rear ones seem more recessed into the trim, and can't be yanked out of the groove. Any late model people that have done this with success (no broken windows)? I'd really appreciate any help, this has been a long enough day as is.

#4 ·
FYI- That link is for the older version. I have the newer as well and was trying to use that link, but got stuck at the same time as the OP. I'm looking for a solution and will try to post if I find one. IF.

#5 ·
#6 ·
Hello great instructional... however i have encountered a problem trying to remove the window guide on the exterior of car... is there some hidden screw(s) or adhesive holding it secure??? i removed the three screws from the interior... but simply pulling the exterior guide up and wiggling it hasnt been the answer... spent most of the day trying i actually have now slightly bent the guide... i own a 2000 528i***65279;... HELP please need to get the window out so i can R/R the regulator. THANKS.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.