BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

List Something You Discovered About Your Car AFTER You Bought It...

89K views 405 replies 156 participants last post by  dallz 
#1 ·
This should be both informative and fun. There's a great thread of this in the 5 forum.

I'll go first as I just learned something today...

1) I thought the microphone for voice commands was in the steering wheel and found out it's above the rearview mirror.

Also

2) I learned you can't use the backrest adjustment button unless the car door is open.

#237 ·
volume feature

I found the Audio setting in iDrive which allows you to increase the amount by which the volume of the stereo is automatically increased or decreased to compensate for vehicle speed. I believe it is called speed volume control.... this car is too smart!! :)

#242 ·
My 645 had an Off button (center dial) for the A/C. The 650 doesn't have one. Couldn't figure out how to turn off the A/C when the top was down. Just figured out I turn the dial one more clik to the left to turn off the A/C.
That is a recent change b/c my '06 650 cab still has the off button in the center dial. Must have been an '07 or '08 model year change. I kind of like the one Off button in the center personally.

#243 ·
Hey Spegase

I tried performing the window down/up features you had mentioned on the car unlock/lock features but could not get them to work. I'm wondering if these features are only available on 6ers with the comfort access package.

Anyone one else given this a try?

#244 ·
Hey Spegase

I tried performing the window down/up features you had mentioned on the car unlock/lock features but could not get them to work. I'm wondering if these features are only available on 6ers with the comfort access package.

Anyone one else given this a try?
The key fob-based lowering of the windows has been a standard feature of all Bimmers for as long as I've owned one - all the way back to my '95 318i.

#253 ·
In my car center console locks with the doors ( not the glove compartment, for some reason), but the sensor doesn't always work. Maybe because there's a waiting period 5-10 seconds after you lock the car.

#257 ·
Normally when I exit the car and use the fob key to lock the car all the lights basically shut off. Today I pulled the keys out (old school I know) as usual but inadvertently pulled the lever that activates the brights. I noticed this action switched on the head and tail lights which stayed on for 30 seconds after I fob locked the car.

#263 ·
The newer 2007+ 6ers have TPMS sensors. The best way to check what you have is to use iDrive and look under the iMenu for FTM or TPMS menu items.

#265 ·
That should work most of the time but you could have a car where the previous owner mounted TPMS wheels even though your car only has FTM installed. And vice versa.

#267 · (Edited)
Ive discovered that in my 2nd year of ownership i still love this car like the 1st day it came of the truck. Also turning heads on the highway is sooooo much fun. oh and the Camaraderie of ppl in higher end vehicles is so much more classy then the guys in ricers who only want to race. We give simple headnods as a sign of respect and if we have some room give it a go... Just Great

#273 ·
That random chics will come up to you Saturday night and just tell you to call them. I never called her..... but damn I sometimes I think I should have.

#278 ·
After having the car for about 3 weeks, I have learned this thing is an absolute rocket. I had only driven in (D), I used the Sport button for about 2 miles and turned it off. But today I switched over to Manual... Talk about giddy up... But then I put it in Manual, then hit the Sport button :yikes: HOLY HELL.... I had a huge smile the rest of the way home. I know there are a lot of other faster cars out there, but this is the fastest one that I have owned. My wife has an Infiniti M45 and I thought it was fast...... Nice find for me

#279 ·
Next step is to turn off Traction Control. Presss the DTC button one time, it turns off the first level of control. When you really feel nutty hold the button down for 10 seconds or so, until a big triangle appears on your screen. Now it is all the way off. Be careful, this beast can get away from you. You can always turn this on/off on the fly, so if you don't like it just press the button once and it all turns back on.

You are right, this car when put in all the right "modes" can make for a very spririted ride.

#283 · (Edited)
Very happy to be able to "give back" to the forum that has helped me decipher the many "positive" attributes of this fantastic machine. I have the regular Cruise Control - do not have the radar/laser(?) based cruise control. Regardless of whether the CC is on or off, if you pull back (towards the driver) on the stalk to the second detent (first detent just reduces the set speed as like normal Cruise Control), the brakes are applied. How 'bout them apples? :thumbup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.