BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

RWD vs AWD

3K views 31 replies 20 participants last post by  WannabeX5 
#1 ·
So recently we have had some bad weather here (NY) and I don't know I mean I have RWD and my car was covered in snow and I mean covered but still manage to get out without a struggle. I didn't even bother shoveling the car out just took traction control completely off and I was on my way. Is there any BIG difference between the two?

#2 · (Edited)
Had a 530xi. Did not like the 4x4 part. Didn't have Blizzaks. But have Blizzaks on the new i! Course have 4x4 trucks with BF GOODRICH TA KOs. REAL gripage. I really think a car that's meant to go fast has to be an "i". Had an xi. Couldn't see it. Especially when just on a newly covered snowy on ramp just made all wheels scramble for gripage and couldn't find any as it slide down the on ramp? :-(

#4 ·
Winter tires!!!!!!

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

#5 ·
This is a classic case of doing what is best for YOU...not passing an overall judgement on the worthiness of AWD, or any other feature for that matter. For me, the XI is required. I drive all through the upper midwest and through all sorts of weather, almost always 200+ miles from home. I really love the idea that this car (with Continental DWS tires) will go damn near anywhere...I have yet to come close to being stuck. This year in particular I've run into some seriously crappy and dangerous situations on the highways and have never lost confidence. Having done this for years and with lots of different cars/trucks/SUV's I can say with certainty my XI is necessary for me.

Your results may vary.

#11 ·
This is a classic case of doing what is best for YOU...not passing an overall judgement on the worthiness of AWD, or any other feature for that matter. For me, the XI is required. I drive all through the upper midwest and through all sorts of weather, almost always 200+ miles from home. I really love the idea that this car (with Continental DWS tires) will go damn near anywhere...I have yet to come close to being stuck. This year in particular I've run into some seriously crappy and dangerous situations on the highways and have never lost confidence. Having done this for years and with lots of different cars/trucks/SUV's I can say with certainty my XI is necessary for me.

Your results may vary.
Oh wow that's a hell of a commute. Funny thing is that I have had DWS and they're amazing in the snow that's what made me wonder what is the real big difference between the two but has you mention and I agree it's what suitable for you. In your situation you are right XI is definitely worth having. As for me I drive around locally so I guess XI would just be a plus.

#14 ·
I drive my xi down roads and up driveways that have not been plowed or had any other traffic on them, no problem. I have dedicated 17" snows on beater wheels for the winter. If you try pulling out of an incline driveway with a snow pack and all season tires....good luck! I live in Maine and we arent pussies who stay home when it snows! If I want to go out I do! The number one selling AWD car in the state is Subaru, they are beloved cars up here.

#18 ·
LOL that is too funny. Yeah I don't care much for snow but what made my ask was that I was covered in snow literally and took traction control completely off and I was able to get the car out I mean I burnt out a bit and you can hear this loud exhaust but hey why not lol but yeah I can see why Subaru is the top seller. AWD do come in handy in my situations but good thing I don't deal with hills or anything.

#17 ·
I've had a 330xi, 540i and now 550i. I live in Utah and go to Wyoming a lot (family lives there). Growing up in Wy, I tend to like driving in bad weather. I loved my 330xi. BMW did such a good job making it so you had good traction without sacrificing the RWD sensation and cornering. That being said, I enjoy my 5's more than my 3, despite the fact that the 3 cornered better.
As for stability, BMW's traction control is incredibly good in my opinion. I bought my 550 after having an awd Infiniti g37xS and honestly, I feel safer in a storm in my rwd BMW than my awd Infiniti. The traction control is just that good. Add to that my Blizzaks, and I don't miss awd at all, even in a Wyoming blizzard.

#21 ·
It's funny that you say that I had a G37s (coupe and rwd) and I feel a whole lot safer in my current car (335i) than Infinitis. I mean there are awesome cars but nothing like a BMW. And your are absolutely right their traction control is near perfect. If you want to have some fun just press it once and your able to without losing control but if you really wanna go all out take it completely off. What amazes me is that if you take it completely off and you just so happen to lose control of the car and that quick second you press that button it likes whips the car back into place. Great feature they did with it.

#23 ·
I have a 2008 535xi wagon as well as a 2010 550i. Both cars have good snow tires for winter. Wagon does quite well on hills while the 550i is challenged on icy or packed snow steep inclines unless you get a high enough speed up. When in doubt I always take out the xdrive wagon. No cars deal with black ice. That is on the driver to recognize. Chains would be the last thing to consider depending on where you are driving. Chains are the best insurance policy for traction in bad winter conditions.

#24 · (Edited)
I have a 2010 535i xDrive and wish that I would have went with the RWD. It handles well in snow, but after driving it for a few months I fell in love and am now hesitant to subjecting it to salt here in Boston. Typically when its bad out I just take my wifes Xterra anyway. With that being said if I could do it over I would have put the premium on the sports suspension instead of AWD. Either way you can't go wrong E60 is a great platform and I plan on keeping this car for a long time!

#25 ·
Hard to quantify the diff, in theory anywhere you slice it (same condition of temp, snow depth, suspension, weight of the car etc), yes AWD will win compare to RWD in the snow. 2x area of contact considering 2-axles vs 1-axle is active at all times.
You'll see the superiority of AWD in the slick condition, up/down the hills not in the flat.

At the end no substitute for winter tires, they are design to stay rubbery at very lower temp with silica embedded in the rubebr to cut/dig into ice. I am a firm beliver in them regardless which type of cars you drive.

#26 ·
One more thing regarding AWD, BMW starting on F80/F82 will not make manual trans on XI cars anymore, so my E92 335XI coupe with manual trans and hydraulic P/S pump has become rare. Manual trans still available on RWD cars, that's in line with BMW philosophy, AWD is not real track car; well the car push more around the turn unlike RWD.

I kept complaining in survey etc telling BMW to put real sport suspension, LSD option etc on AWD cars cause I kinda like them (well AUDI does it on their S line), well BMW answer...

#31 ·
I had some hesitation when getting our 2009 550i since we get a fair amount of snow. I contemplated getting a dedicated set of snow tires/rims, but ended up just getting a set of Continental DWS's. We have had no problem in the snow here, whether it be a dusting or 6 inches.
But I would agree it all depends on how the car is being used and what kind of commute one has. My wife basically drives it to and from work, which is about 10-12 miles roundtrip with few hills. She hasn't seen much, if any, difference in how this car handles vs how her 2011 328ix handled in the snow.

#32 ·
I prefer RWD to AWD. I like our 550i in the snow but next year it will have better tires if we still own it.

The G37xS we have replaced a RWD G35 with a manual transmission and I can firmly say I prefer the RWD G35 to this AWD. Whether winter or summer, the RWD Sport package was just a much more engaging car to drive and didn't have the understeering tendency that the AWD does.

I live in Minnesota and commute all over the region with all our cars (ND, SD, WI and MN) and I will stand by my preference for RWD+Snow tires. So yes, we do get a hellacious amount of snow, and no I have 0 problems even going up hills.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.