BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

S54 Swap

25K views 188 replies 23 participants last post by  JayMac 
#1 ·
I am planning on swapping in an S54 and moving towards total track set up for my son and I . Over the weekend I located the engine, harness and ecu so we are on our way to getting this done. We are also going to put in a 3.91 in the ass so this thing should be lightning quick. I did stumble across another s54 that the owner said he would sell for $3000. Don't have any details but if you are interested you can contact me and i can give you his contact info. Hope to have all the parts in about a month and then go from there. Should be a fun project.

#183 ·
Idiot check on isle 3! Guess where the rest of this is?

I could feel it but can't get it out of the tranny so off it comes. I must not have gotten the pin on there when I put the slave back in. When I pushed the clutch yesterday to start it must have shot out like a rocket. Got the plunger but the rest slipped down.

#186 ·
At least you weren't under it when it popped. My roommate got in the car while I'm working to test the shifter feel and first thing he does is put the clutch pedal down. POP! Now I'm covered in brake fluid, and a 'nearly finished' job turns into another week delay, and the dreaded clutch bleed. :mad:

Good luck, OP. Get the bad luck stuff out of the way now so it's clear sailing later on.

#187 ·
Here is the results of not knowing what you are doing. I had a tough time getting the slave on. Should have asked a few questions or looked it over better when I had it off. Here is the damage.

While I was under there I snapped a bonus pic of my diy oil temp sensor fitting. Bonus no leaks!

You can see a little gasket material that was necessary due to textured aluminum. Laid down a film of Permatex on both the inside and out before assembly.

#189 ·
Waiting on parts and doing some more research. I read the various posts by HAKENTT about his swap and since I did not have all the parts I needed some of it did not make sense. Couple that with my lack of wiring prowess and it makes for a slow process. Again it comes back to getting as much as you can from the donor car or getting these parts ahead of time. I usually jump in and find out I am over my head first. In the end it makes you a good swimmer! Anyway here is the part that solve the fuel pump issue. This gets connected to ecu and apparently the e46 M has a variable speed fuel pump so based on the engine speed it changes speed. Just more info for anybody doing research.

Here is how it works:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.