BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

2014 S-Class Unveiled.....meh

6K views 64 replies 26 participants last post by  GeoX750Li 
#1 ·
http://www.forbes.com/sites/matthew...-benz-s-class-overwhelms-with-new-technology/

Interesting. Tons of new technology. Incredible noise isolation. Drives itself. 0-60mph in 4.8 seconds with 25.4mpg gas mileage. 455 horsepower. Fragrance dispenser (lol).

The only problem is......I can't stand the looks! I know beauty is subjective but wow, that isn't even slightly appealing to me. Maybe in person it will look a lot better.

I guess I have to give it the benefit of the doubt and at least look at it in person before I drop 100K on a 750i but that's going to make for a longgggggggg summer whereas I could be driving that big bimmer instead.....

:eek:

#3 ·
I really like the looks even though there are elements like the steering wheels that I don't care for but the car has exactly what I want in a model update; tons of safety and technology features not available anywhere else (for any money), an interior that is a big step up from the predecessor and an audio system that is worth paying extra for.

I also have to grant that Mercedes has listened to long standing criticism and finally offers steering and suspensions that delivers more of a BMW experience than BMW's (at least judging the F10/F01).

I was surprised at the 4.8 sec. to 60 but expect it to comes in at 4.3 or so on actual tests given that Mercedes has a tendency to underrate their performance.

Love the 7 but will get the S-Class as soon as they have the 4matic version out.

#4 ·
I really like the looks even though there are elements like the steering wheels that I don't care for.
It's shaped that way for a reason - for autopilot to work, you need to always have 1 hand resting on the bottom of the wheel.

#6 ·
I'm not crazy about the exterior styling, but will reserve judgement until seeing it in person.
I recall not liking the looks of the E65/66 in initial photos either, but appreciated it much more in the metal.

It's interesting... I used to drive BMWs for the handling and performance, but preferred the styling of Mercedes and Audi.
Mercedes and Audis in the 80's and 90's were beautiful, while BMWs were sort of boring (IMO).
Recently my opinion has completely reversed. I find the F01 and F10 handsome, while newer Audis appear terribly boring and newer Mercs ugly and ostentatious.
The execption being the SLS convertible, which is gorgeous.

#13 · (Edited)
Just watched this great video:

An extensive list of technology!

So funny:

I thought I was the only one to drive my own car and frequently use the rear to conduct business!

They must really know their 'new' target audience! Very interesting to see that in the video!

Otherwise:

Love the new 'slim' rear lamps; very elegant.

Wish the front lamps weren't so large or bulbous, which they in fact aren't when the lights are on.

#15 ·
I think it's very good looking. Wow. I was almost leaning towards a 2010 S550, but couldn't get myself to reconcile the exterior and interior. The interior always reminded me of something that belongs in a truck (that dashboard just didn't work for me) and in fact I find some trucks interior much better looking. Also the previous gen fender flares were horrendous and didn't belong on a flagship. On a CL, maybe, but not an S.

I think it looks kind of like the CLA that's coming out and recently redesigned E class actually. And since you can only get the Long wheelbase in the US, that alone helps it to stand out from it's smaller siblings.

This new version, dare I say, looks almost timeless and classic already. It's almost that they did such a controversial restyle for the previous gen, that this "toned down" version is the perfect way to move forward from that. It also seems much more cohesive, whereas the previous gen just seems like different angles slammed together without rhythm or grace. (I'm not criticizing it though, just comparing to this new version. And in fact suggested to another poster to get an S63 vs F01--the body kit on that coupled with the fender flares do actually work, otherwise, the flares seem a bit out there).

The interior looks like a fine leather bag... worn by a streetwalker.

#16 ·
Spectacular array of features on that car. Only dislike is that weird seat texture (maybe it has something to do with the built-in shiatsu haha). Can't wait to see what the S Class coupe looks like

Also looking forward to reading about legal defenses mounted against DUI charges where autonomous driving systems were actually doing the driving.

#18 ·
The new S Class is a technological wonder...what a flagship car is supposed to be. It looks to me like MB really put their proverbial foot down on this car. Also, that rear passenger workspace is absolutely brilliant.

#19 ·
Have followed the new W222 for months as I expect to get back to an S. I feel the new body style is a throw back to the more sleek W220 now that the chunky fender flares were dropped. Not sure how I feel about the tail lights

The only similarity between the 7 and the S is that they are the flag ship model for their respective brand. I don't see how to compare them. The 7 is a sporty car with a touch of luxury and the S is a luxury car that you can sport up

#20 · (Edited)
Apart from presence, comfort, style, and technology, there's nothing much better than the 7 series. And it still only has a 7 speed autobox, no included service, and will likely be more expensive.

#25 ·
I agree. To experience most of the features shown in the video of the new S Class, I imagine, would cost A LOT more than a well-equipped 7 Series. In my opinion, the 7 continues to hold its own as an exceutive performance sedan. I have to admit, however, that this new S Class appears to harken back to a time when "flagship" meant more emphasis on luxury, amenities, and technology, than on performance. You mention the included service that comes with the 7 and all BMWs...and that certainly is an important factor. However, after having owned quite a few (6 BMWs to be exact) BMWs with this feature, I've been wondering about the built-in costs associated with this free maintenance. Life has taught me that nothing is free. BMWs have taught me to lease new and purchase used because they take a huge depreciation in the first 2 years of ownership. So, what I'm leading to is a question I have in my mind about the "value" of the new S Class compared to that of the 7 Series after the first few years of ownership. I have absolutely no ownership experience with MB vehicles...and have not found any appeal for them based on those I've driven as loaner and rental vehicles. So, I'm really curious about this. I will say that I think a 7 Series coming off a 2 or 3 year lease has tremendous curb appeal as a pre-owned purchase...add to that another year or two of free maintenance (and/or more if it's CPO-ed) and the car becomes even more of a great value.

#32 · (Edited)
Thanks for the detail, Doktorek. Unfortunately, I've become jaded in the opposite direction. Truth of the matter is that it's too bad any of us are at all anyway, having been enthusiastic about one brand or another previously.

As far as buybacks go, a lot of it has to do with differences in state law, and while you may see some relief found on these boards, I believe the majority of those who obtain same are outside New York.

Otherwise, I've conferred with some attorneys and all have said they've seen Mercedes and Audi handle problems better when push comes to shove, where BMW goes as far as continued denial of what should be warranty work, stating owners need file insurance claims, only for owners to do so and for their insurance companies to deny coverage, stating same should be covered under warranty...! :|

#34 ·
Speaking of differences in class, I test drove a 2013 A8 tonight....holy toledo! I went straight from that car into a 2013 750i and the interiors are like night and day! The A8 is plush, luxurious, the screen pops up with a resolution that seems 10x the BMW's screen, the seats massage and heat and cool and massage again....it's a coccoon. There's more room in the 750i front seats but the seats themselves are spartan. Not many adjustments to be made comparatively.

Now driving the two was a totally different experience....love the 750i and the A8 was meh....and the exterior is subjective but to me nothing comes close to the BMW...

I may wait to see and drive a new S-class......and I may not!

#35 · (Edited)
I went straight from that car into a 2013 750i and the interiors are like night and day! The A8 is plush, luxurious, the screen pops up with a resolution that seems 10x the BMW's screen, the seats massage and heat and cool and massage again....it's a coccoon.
We need to be careful not to expect something that the 7 series is not. BMW is trying to create a luxurious large BMW interior, not an Audi interior. If they wanted to, they could - look at Rolls Royce. They could just rip that off and put it in the 7. But that's not what BMW is about. Could they do better - definitely. Should they do the same - probably not. Each car manufacturer has it's own identity that they need to use as a baseline. Good news is that I think they are heading in the right direction. Witness the interior of the Gran Coupe - gorgeous and still a BMW.

Regarding the Benz, that's not ideal either. The long instrument cluster/dash looks like it was lifted out of a 70s GM car. There's nothing Benz like about it.

#36 ·
So true Chris! I knew there was a relationship with Rolls Royce and BMW but I didn't know how close it was! Sales rep told me it's the same chassis as the Ghost! I never thought about what you said and you're right - if they wanted a plush, luxurious interior they certainly have the pedigree to do it - but that's not what they are about.

Excellent points!

#43 ·
The Ghost rides on a 7 series chassis, its not like we are getting RR hardware (dont think I would actually want a RR chassis anyway)- but salesman love to say its a RR chassis...

^so are such things patented? LIke why doesn't other cars have hUD? patents?
Corvettes have had HUDs since the 90's. I don't know why other companies don't have them, they are very useful at night. During the day they are a total waste of money- I can't see the readout with my polarized sunglasses.

Back on topic- I'm not sold on the dashboard- but the tech looks amazing. Unfortunately you will need to spend 20k on extras to get all of it. The exterior is ok, the front looks too C class to me but the back isn't bad. We will have to see it in person. I can't wait to see the suspension....

#44 ·
The Ghost rides on a 7 series chassis, its not like we are getting RR hardware (dont think I would actually want a RR chassis anyway)- but salesman love to say its a RR chassis...

Corvettes have had HUDs since the 90's. I don't know why other companies don't have them, they are very useful at night. During the day they are a total waste of money- I can't see the readout with my polarized sunglasses.

Back on topic- I'm not sold on the dashboard- but the tech looks amazing. Unfortunately you will need to spend 20k on extras to get all of it. The exterior is ok, the front looks too C class to me but the back isn't bad. We will have to see it in person. I can't wait to see the suspension....
It's interesting that there are many comments on the boards re. the dashboard even though it really is only a minor evolution over the old one which was also a dual monitor setup with digital gauges...

#37 ·
Going SOT, one thing I wish BMW would rip off Benz (and every other manufacturer should do so as well), is the position of the seat controls on the door.

#39 · (Edited)
#42 ·
I expect the base to come in at least $95k-$105k (our SL was $10k base over the last model). Since it makes sense to get a lot of the options, I'd say that $125k will be what you'll find standing at the dealer.

I am really looking forward to seeing/driving this in the flesh :)

#40 ·
Not seeing anything on the autonomous driving, either in that guide or in their advertisement video. Maybe it won't be released in NA right away? Rest of the option packages seem reasonably priced. Only thing that really stood out was the $6500 stereo and the $12.5k ceramic brake package for the S63! Saw an SLS in the area with that ceramic brake setup and you could notice it from a block away. Most massive brake calipers I'd ever seen.

#41 · (Edited)
Not seeing anything on the autonomous driving, either in that guide or in their advertisement video. Maybe it won't be released in NA right away?
You missed it. It's at the 2 minute mark in the video above. And it's optionally available. It's called DISTRONIC PLUS with Steering Assist.

Here's another video.

#48 ·
I misunderstood your comment. Makes sense and Have to see it in real life myself.
On our SL they have put the same retro vents as in the 70's SL models, just in aluminum. Look great, work great.

Had something like that in an Explorer I owned. I liked the way they delivered the air over the typical rectangular slates found in most cars.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
You missed it. It's at the 2 minute mark in the video above. And it's optionally available. It's called DISTRONIC PLUS with Steering Assist.

Here's another video.

Ah ok thanks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.