BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Mityvac Oil Change

3K views 20 replies 8 participants last post by  Gryphon 
#1 ·
The marine mechanics shop next to my work gave me a huuuuge mityvac that holds about 15 litres. So excited to have this addition for free!

Does anyone have an suggestions for this process. Im under the understanding that you just put the tube down the dip stick and start pumpin' (obv with removal of the oil filter etc). Is there anything else that I should be aware of seeing as I have never done an oil change on my e46 before.

Thanks.

#2 ·
The marine mechanics shop next to my work gave me a huuuuge mityvac that holds about 15 litres. So excited to have this addition for free!

Does anyone have an suggestions for this process. Im under the understanding that you just put the tube down the dip stick and start pumpin' (obv with removal of the oil filter etc). Is there anything else that I should be aware of seeing as I have never done an oil change on my e46 before.

Thanks.
Nope. Straightforward. You won't even need to get under the car or get dirty! Great score!

#3 ·

Thanks.
Use the largest tube that will fit in the oil dipstick tube as that will speed up the process.

Make sure you use some rags around the oil filter assembly when you take out the oil filter 'cause oil tends to drip.

That's it!! No fuss no muss and no jacking!!! :thumbup:

#5 ·
Use the largest tube that will fit in the oil dipstick tube as that will speed up the process.

Make sure you use some rags around the oil filter assembly when you take out the oil filter 'cause oil tends to drip.

That's it!! No fuss no muss and no jacking!!! :jack:
Fixed with the appropriate smiley

#6 ·
Quick question regarding Mityvac.
Just got a 7201.
I usually have done oil changes with the engine warm to try to get more junk out. I am thinking, however, that temps like that might not be healthy for the PE tubing; and the last thing I want to do is end up with part of it softening/coming apart and jammed up in my pan or elsewhere.
Thoughts experience on temp?

#7 ·
Yeah, I thought so too, at first. I usually let it cool approximately 1 hour before inserting the tube into the dipstick. I mean, the oil is hot, but not say, hotter than a bride's kiss, as my father (RIP) used to say. :)

No problems in about four years of use.

#9 ·
I run my engine for about 10min before I use my Mityvac 7201, temp hasn't been an issue. I use the largest tubing that will fit the dipstick. Insert the tubing until it hits the bottom of your oil pan, then withdraw the tubing just a bit so it's not in contact with the pan. Start pumping about 10-15 pumps, let it take up what it can on that amount of suction. Once it no longer has sufficient suction, I'll pump the vac again a few times. Once you start pulling air, sounds like little metal pinging, you can advance the mityvac tube fully to get any residual.

I have a plastic bag waiting immediately for when I remove the oil filter, wrap it in the grocery bag and tie it off.

#10 ·
thanks for the input guys.

Back in March I had a slight oil filter housing leak that stopped when the spring hit. Am I at any risk of triggering this problem by using the Mityvac. I read on a 325i DIY on this that you should check the oil filter housing once you've refilled the engine with oil.

#11 ·
You don't need to check the filter housing, though you should circle back and check the oil level after the motor has run. Swap the filter, close the housing, put in the right amount of oil (~6-6.5qts), check for a good level. Run the motor then let it sit a few minutes, check the level again and top off if needed.

These filter housings don't need to be burped like the one on my old 535 did. That was messy once. Quick learning curve......

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.