BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

First test of X3 in snow this weekend

5K views 41 replies 20 participants last post by  X3-terrestrial 
#1 ·
I will be curious how our new X3 works in the snow.

We have a 2006 sport..so 255/18 tires. Michelin Pilots.

We will be in the mountains of NC/TN and they are expecting 6" of snow.

I will report back...........

#3 ·
You'll be amazed.Take pics! I'm planning going to Gatlinburg in Feb. hope they have lots of white suff by then...

#4 ·
Best vehicle ever in bad weather.

You will look at others and question why they even try.

#5 ·
Well, always remember the laws of physics apply, and you're on all-season tyres. But up to that point, it is very fun and has great control.

#6 ·
Interesting you brought the tires up. I am running winters this year, Blizzak LM-22, and I feel the ABS kick in more than it did on my all season tires last year, a couple of very small skids too, though nothing that was on high speed or out of control but I was expecting better from a winter tire that had so many positive reviews too. Granted the conditions were not just snowy but icy, but then that's supposed to be forte of winter tires.

#8 ·
Jim, of course as has been suggested above, do be very careful and cautious as you go about learning how that X3 responds to the different conditions. Particularly remain cautious if there are icy conditions, as the X3 is not a stranger to sliding on ice. If you encounter lots of fresh snow that's not too slick from having been packed, I think you will have some real fun. But icy packed snow and just plain ice never is much fun, no matter what four wheels you have under you. Be safe!

#10 ·
This is last january with the Scorpions and it was the first time driving the X3 on ice. I was happy with the way they responded, of course you have to know the car's limits, and driving slow is the key. xDrive, DSC and ABS work together and are your best friends under this conditions. I turned DSC off to see what happened and the x3 was sliding uncontrolled all over the place. DSC job here is just to give the tires enough traction to move the car in the direction you want to go.

#11 ·
Ice is no fun to drive on, and wet snow ain't so great either. The X3 shines on powder.......a controlled slide is so easy with DSC off and winter tyres that a child could do it.

Unfortunately, my X3 still has summer tyres on this weekend, so we'll have to take the 325i.

#16 ·
I was cruising around in about 4" of snow for the first time in my new to me 2006 X3 and was mucho impressed! I had a few acres of untouched snow to just cruise around on and it just went up and down the snow covered grassy hills with the greatest of ease. I also own a 1977 FJ55 Land Cruiser that is a legendary machine for it's off road ability and as far as moving through the snow covered flat lands the X3 was just as capable if not more (and much more comfortable).

#17 ·
I have Michelin Pilot Sports...whch appear to be summer tires! haha. Well, living in ATL, we dont see snow.

Anyway, Gatlinburg got about 2 inches of snow, but the roads were just wet. A few patches of ice, but nothing much.

It still felt very stable given it was 32F and wet..so good chance of black ice etc.

the snow was beautiful on all the trees, but the roads were wet. sigh.

#20 ·
I look forward to your report. And be extra careful and take the time to do some off the road testing first.

I am a firm believer in true winter tires for ultimate mobility. My driveway is a 30 to 40 deg slope and with my Saab and snow tires I had difficulty getting up the driveway if it snowed more than 6". When I got my 325xiT I put on Hakka 1s and was able to get through 14" with no fuss. My current X3 now has General Altimax Artics and I am waiting for a good storm to see how they do.

#36 ·
Update

Well we had a good storm yesterday morning and the roads were unplowed when I ventured out into about 4-6" of snow.
I pulled off into a parking lot to test w/ and w/o the traction control and had a blast getting the feel of the X3's handling limits on snow. Several vehicles including a garbage truck were fishtailing on relatively gentle inclines.

I tested the traction by gunning it with the DCS on and honestly, it was difficult to get the car to slip. The X3 with my General Altimax Artics definitely passed the test and in my opinion exceed what I could do on my 325xiT with Hakka 1's. Nice!!! :D

#21 ·
#26 ·
Last Friday it snowed about 20 cms here. The wind was consistently at about 50 kmph and sometimes gusting to 90 kmph. Result: huge drifting snow, side roads piled with upto 18 inches of snow, there was news that one street had 5 feet. Driveways on my street either had 3 feet snow or were completely bare, depending upon which side of street you live on. My side was dry (thank heavens). I have been driving on a sheet of snow/ice for past 4 days now. The first day I saw at least 50 cars abandoned on road when I had to go somewhere early in morning through unplowed streets. X3 never got stuck even in 1-2' snow and has been very predictable on ice. I am running winters though. The key is to drive carefully, particularly when there are people with you in car and in other cars in road. Never challenge laws of physics, no matter what car you drive.

#29 ·
The key is to drive carefully, particularly when there are people with you in car and in other cars in road. Never challenge laws of physics, no matter what car you drive.
This really is the key, and the very best advice that could, and should, be given to anyone getting behind the wheel of this vehicle. Well done! :thumbup:

Should be made a "sticky" and put first in line for those coming to the BB.

#31 ·
The X3 handles great in the snow (I know, I owned one and have routinely driven it in snow exceeding 10 inches on a regular basis).

But its not like its that much greater than any other well equipped SUV. For example, as good as the X3 is, my 2007 Toyota 4Runner was much more capable in the deep stuff.

Many, many cars have AWD/4WD systems, and while BMW makes one of the best, many of these other systems are extremely capable (i.e. Audi Quattro) etc...

Midsize and larger trucks like Tahoes, Pathfinders, 4Runners, Land Rovers etc are virtually unstoppable in the snow...

Everyone on here loves to say, I saw a [insert your SUV of choice] in the ditch, and I happily drove right by in my superior little BMW X3.

Well, the X3 does have a great AWD system, handling and balance, but don't kid yourself, its not THAT much better (and is sometimes worse) than a very capable 4WD Tahoe with much higher ground clearance, locking differentials, etc. etc. Most of those very capable 4WD vehicles in the ditch are there because of driver error, not because of a lack of capability. And in some cases, you can DRIVE a Tahoe/4Runner etc. OUT OF the ditch, whereas you can't necessarily do that in an X3

All of these vehicles become the same on ice...its just annoying how X3 drivers think they are special and immune, or that their cute utes are that much better in the snow then say, a Tahoe, 4Runner etc etc

#42 ·
its just annoying how X3 drivers think they are special and immune, or that their cute utes are that much better in the snow
That was totally uncalled for. Who said that?
What we all know is that the X3 is superior in many ways compared to most cars/trucks out there.

#32 ·
Lab Settings

Some people have touched upon this and some not.

The human factor.

As Terry pointed out..we don't drive in lab type settings.

No matter what you are driving...shoot even a snow mobile there are others around you that driving even the most capable vehicle have different reaction time, vision, etc.....

Keep that in mind and you will really minimize damage.

Kind of like the guy that says I can break several bricks in one chop. Well that is great. When a brick attacks me, I'll call you.:rofl:

#33 ·
I'm excited to see how my wife's X3 performs in the snow this winter. I've had numerous 4 and all wheel drive vehicles in the past...and drove them through Buffalo winters up until last year when we moved to PA. I have to say the most capable 4wd I have ever had was an 80' Datsun pick-up.....it was almost unstopable in deep snow. I can remember a winter when we got 39" overnight and I had to go to my mothers to dig her driveway out. The streets had not been plowed and the curbs were close to 50". I pulled the Datsun up to the curb and dropped the tailgate to get the snowblower out.......just pulled it off the bed and right into the snow...:D...Her neighbors were shocked to see me just pull out of the spot and drive down the road when I was done clearing all thier driveways.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.