BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

e38 wiper relay location - 98 740iL

19K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  gerosean 
#1 ·
Have seen several folks looking for correct wiper relay location. There are two relays in the 98 740iL, both in the E-box under the DME cards. Not the most elegant installation.:(

The Bentley manual figures aren't specific to the 98 and may be misleading so I've uploaded figures from the BMW shop manual, and pictures from my install.

The relay from BAV auto (part no. 61 36 8 384 505) also does not appear to be correct as it was physically too large to fit into the relay contact base. :( Maybe it's common to several installs, but it's physically too big and pinout is different than K36 and K37.

I purchased both relays from local BMW (Part no. 12 63 1 742 690) - $15.98 each.

Steps I used (similar to Magnum's, but different relay due to different year):
1. Remove E-box cover (4 hex screws - loosen but do not remove).
2. Gently slide up DME card(s) and rest on top. I started from the firewall and slid the last card up and laid it across the top of the E-box assembly without removing any connectors except the single separate connector at the firewall since the wires impeded DME card removal. I also only slide the middle DME card up 2-3 inches since this allowed me enough access. If you have larger hands you many need to fully remove the middle card too, but the wiring harness is pretty stiff.
3. Remove and replace relays. I removed the ABS relay and worked across for easier access and removal of each relay. I installed K36 first, because it was the most difficult location, then worked across. Due to the tight access this is mostly done by feel. I placed the relays on top of the contact base, then visually verified correct placement, then reached back in and fully seated the relay.
4. Slide DME card(s) back into place (and reconnect connector)
5. Install cover and tighten hex screws.

Hope that helps!:thumbup:

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
Go here:

http://www.bmw-planet.com/diagrams/release/en/e38old/index.htm

I will give you a cheat sheet for those relays. In the search box, start with k4. It will give you a breakdown by car build dates on the schematics. The next icon will show you a picture of the location. Next will give you the pin outs. If there is no month/year designation, and there won't be on most locations and pin outs, then it is the same thru 09/98. The last icon listed will give you the pin outs of that relay.

Relays behind glove box:

k4, k6, k9, k21, k22

#5 ·
i need help with wiring the two wiper relay for 1998 bmw 740i, the colors are, red/white, brown, brown,black, blue/brown, brown/white,black/green,red/brown, red/brown. the wiper motor is working because when i connect the red/white wire to the black/green the motor work but i follow the wire diagram but nothing work.

#6 ·
Relays

This chamber can fill up with water and gunge over many years which rots out the relays, The drain tubes block up so please check that they are clean by carefully pouring some water in there and make sure that it runs out or clean out the tubes, I found this out after my relays rotted out and damaged the relay wires but it was all sorted out.

#7 · (Edited)
EWS2 gremlin

My trusty old (believe it or not) '95 740il has had a starter issue for some time that is HEAT RELATED. At noon on a hot day, windows up, turn the key and nothing. No relay noise - nothing. Other than no starter, all the electrical seems fine.

This car has an EWS II driveaway system and it's impossible to find any schematics about this - but maybe someone has figured this out.

My ignition switch seems OK - it puts 12v onto the b/y wire leading to the EWS module. But there is no voltage coming OUT of the EWS module onto the black wire to the starter motor. When I jumper the b/y wire coming into the EWS from the ignition switch to the blk going out of the EWS module to the starter, the starter motor turns normally when the key is in "start" position. But the engine still will not start b/c the EWS has still not released the ECM, so no fuel, etc.

When the interior of the car cools down a bit everything works fine.

Is one of the relays behind the glovebox somehow getting involved (I can't find what the relays there are for)?

Wires out of the EWS2 are:
blk big diameter (to starter)
wht/purp (?)
blk/yel big diameter (from ign switch)
blu/purp (?)
red/blk w/yel spots (?)
wht/blk (?)
brn/blk (to ring antenna controller box)
grn/blk (?)

blu (?)
blu (?)
n/c
blk (?)
blk/lt-blu (?)
n/c
blu/wht (?)

I've tried several different keys - all of which work when the car interior is cool - but none work when the temp inside the car is high.

I've thought it might be a faulty relay since the symptoms seem like that might be the trouble, but maybe also for some reason the EWS handshake is not working properly when hot. IS THERE A RELAY INVOLVED OTHER THAN THE ONE INSIDE THE EWS MODULE???

#8 ·
would these wiper relays produce an intermittent wiper failure. i've only had my 2000 750il for a week and the one day i drove it in the rain the wipers ran...then stopped...then ran again and stopped again (on rain sensing setting) then ran without stopping on constant wipe setting.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.