BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

E38 Transmission Dipstick Adaptation 97-01

8K views 35 replies 9 participants last post by  injuhneer 
#1 ·
Okay all,

First my disclaimer. I have absolutely no ties to this site AT ALL. I stumbled across it on a google search looking for a better and easier way to fill/check transmission levels after my engine rebuild on 97 740IL. Many of you followed my success and failures.

Well the last thing to do is fill the tranny fluid. Ive done this once before using BMWs procedure of jack the car up, level it, start it, crawl under it, hot exhaust, have someone shift gears, etc etc etc.. I dont know about you all, but being under a car that heavy on jack stands is bad enuff, then add the while running part, well, you get my point.

So the search was on for an easier way, and I came across this guys site.

http://www.meurosport.com/5HP24_Dip_Stick.php

It is genius, a little pricey, but in my mind, well worth it. I ordered one yesterday, and look forward to receiving it and installing it.

If anyone is interested in this modification to their E38, check it out..

Ill report back once i have it and have gotten it installed.

Side note: in looking thru his site, i found that i had actually purchased the throttle cable bushings from him a few years ago.. They are great, no more worn out plastic parts and they hold solid.

Ill be the site guinea pig on this one.

Stay Tuned......

See less See more
#36 ·
So, time flies. I am bumping this thread because I promised an update.

So there are three methods to do this. First is the side fill plug with a custom banjo and bolt. Second is to do the same on the drain itself. Third is to modify the pan and use a flare fitting to connect the dipstick.

The advantage of the drain plug approach is that the locations are similar and the end piece can be flexible hose (braided SS). Then the dipstick tube can be the same but the end flexible to match position on either type of trans.

I am taking a second pass at this to fit one to our X5.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.