BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Sound System Improvement Stage One

309K views 432 replies 96 participants last post by  Mic10is 
#1 ·
I have been asked on numerous occasions about stereo equipment for the X3 since I have installed them in two separate X3's (07 and 08) and helped dozens of others including some dealerships.

Stereo installations can be done in stages just like performance or handling enhancements can be done in most vehicles until the desired impact is achieved. This helps to not only spread out the cost, but keep it to a minimum.

At the end of this whole series I will post some pics and "DIY" instructions.

For those that are new to the forum my recommendation come from over 35 years in the music industry as well as 20 years as a radio broadcast engineer with such big radio station names as DC 101 where Howard Stern started, and doing sound for a number of popular bands or groups.

Please bear in mind with my experience and even more --- these are only suggestions since the human ear is the most perfectly diverse piece of audio test equipment available and what sounds good to me might sound like (expletive) to you :).

This will be done in five stages:

Since there are so many different variations I will make suggestions in what I consider to be each stage of improving your X3's basic business sound system. IF you have the higher grade sound system, you are probably content and don't need my meddling.

First (Stage One): Speakers

speakers like tires can be an easy change but make a world of difference. I will not go into the full details of what specs are what, but only recommend ones I know will fit and have the proper electrical acceptability to the OEM sound system. Prices are approximate and taken from Crutchfield as it is an easy link and has good descriptions.

Alpine SPS-400 $70 all around good sound most popular http://www.crutchfield.com/p_500SPS400/Alpine-SPS-400.html?tp=102&tab=features_and_specs

Infinity Reference Series $130 favors the brighter side of music if your hearing is dulling these will certainly let you hear the sound of Santana as well as the violins of Tchaikovsky. Will also take more power if and amp is later added. http://signature.crutchfield.com/s_108429I/Infinity-Kappa-42-9i.html?tp=102

Focals 100 VRS $600 not cheap. This is really pushing it. I won't spend this kind of money, but if you have it and are serious about sound these are the best that will fit in your X3. Please be advised that they will never sound great with out additional power, like an external amp. http://signature.crutchfield.com/s_091100VRS/Focal-Polyglass-100-VRS.html?tp=102

Stage Two will be HU and external components that allow you to keep your HU but add other equipment. As there are a number of new things out (that even I have my eye on) I want to do more research before I post this. Plus too much will bore you to death.

Hope this helps,

EE:thumbup: Please PM questions (for greater detail) with regard to each stage as posted

See less See more
Reactions: Adolfo_e83
#286 · (Edited)
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpost.php?p=6496037&postcount=42

actually this link and after searchign for about an hour it lead me back to bimmerfest

this guy sells custom harnesses

www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=486152&highlight=

Technic guy dude

*edit for like the 5th time*
actually i dunno if its the same connector but it does look similar

*edit*

this is the image of the amplifier plug on the factory hifi amp i got off of ebay

*edit*
wiring info for the x3 connector, it matches up with the missing pins on technic's connector
http://wds.spaghetticoder.org/en/zinfo/E83_PA18A.htm

http://wds.spaghetticoder.org/en/zinfo/E83_SX10266A.htm
i dunno, i'm still looking for more info. Maybe Evlengr knows more about this guy

*final edit*

talked to technic, he confirmed that it should work in place of the oem after 1999.
heres the link again: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=486152&highlight=

#289 ·
How would you go about installing a Alpine PDX-5 in an X3 that has a crossover for the fronts? When I picked up my Bavarian Soundwerks setup, the back connected right up, but evidently they'd never seen an X3 that had separate connectors up front for the tweeters and the mid-range. They said that they'd have to keep that in mind for their new amplifier design. If I could figure out how to easily put one of these into my X3, I'd probably be very happy.

#291 ·
Geoff,

I can help with this but I am in the middle of selling/buying a house this week. Give me til Sunday and I'll walk you through it. Excellent amp. One of my favorites. If you havent already bought it check pacific stereo they were selling it the other week under $400.00

EE

#290 ·
i'm surprised no one has replied.
I'm no expert but I assume you'd wire the front left and right inputs into channel 1 & 2 and the rear left and right inputs into 3 & 4. And i guess use a splitter to input sound into the sub channel. Channel 1, 2, 3, 4 should use the high pass filter and the sub channel the low pass filter.

I actually have little knowledge on how to do this, but I'm sure someone with more knowledge will chime in soon.

#293 ·
One more thing of note. I've got the factory bluetooth option, and evidently, without the tweeters plugged in, I get no sound whatsoever from it. The BSW speakers are designed to plug into one connection and have a built-in crossover to connect the tweeter directly. In order to keep the factory bluetooth working, I had to bypass the built-in crossover and connect the tweeters directly to the tweeter cables, and midrange to the old midrange connectors. The factory crossover is less than ideal for the BSWs, but I'm not really sure if there's a way to work around that.

#294 ·
I have the BMW business class set up in my '04, no CD cassette in the armrest. How do I know if i have 8 or 10. 2 in each front door (4), 2 under each front seat (6), and 2 more in the rear(8).Am i missing 2 others? And can anyone tell me every torx size ill need for this job? Im trying to save $ and do it myself.

#295 ·
Given the age and description I suspect you will have a simple speaker setup aka "business CD". Single cone speakers in the four doors and an 8 inch or 6 inch under the front seats. With respect to under the seats: the trend appears to be in Australia = 6 inch speaker in the 8 inch housing while in the USA = 8 inch under the seat.

But you might have to search here:

http://wds.spaghetticoder.org/en/e8...ody/Audio,_video_and_navigation/Sound_output/

ie depending on build date you may not have any rear door speakers?

#296 ·
N. American base sound systems have component tweeters in the front doors, single mid-range speakers in the rear doors, for a grand total of 8 with the subs.

The optional N. American sound system adds component tweeters in the rear doors for 10 (and an upgraded amp. in the trunk, same head unit).

Don't think there was any difference between '04-'06 and "07-on models in this respect.

The CD changer was a standalone option independent of having base or upgraded sound system, I believe.

Of course, for those with a newly acquired E83, a previous owner may have had made speaker changes which you may not be aware of until you take door panels off.

#298 ·
I posted the following question in another thread but no one replied. I am hoping you can give me some insight as to if/how I can replace the Business CD in my 2004 X3.

The in-dash CD player is dead on my stock stereo. I am considering an aftermarket head unit. I have been getting conflicting advise from the installers.

For starters. My Business CD has DSP. I don't know why that makes a difference if it's being replaced, but to some installers I've spoken with seem to think it does. Because of this, some of the installers are telling me that all of the stock amplifiers in the system need to be removed and/or replaced. Yet, others are saying they can reuse the stock amps and all I need is the standard wiring harness and faceplate mount.

I don't know enough about this stuff to know who to believe. It figured I would just find a nice unit, buy the same Scosche install kit and then get the deed done myself. I'm looking more for functionality than achieving the end-all audio nirvana. I just need bluetooth, aux in, usb, iPod controls and CD player. my X3 has steering wheel controls, and have noticed that all of the stereos I am considering will utilize these if I purchase the correct adapter so this shouldn't be an issue.

Any/All insight anyone can share with me regarding whether or not the amps can be reused or need replacing is appreciated. I have a feeling that I'm getting smoke blown up my @ss by the installers/salesmen so they can just sell me more stuff.

Peace.
:D

#299 · (Edited)
I posted the following question in another thread but no one replied. I am hoping you can give me some insight as to if/how I can replace the Business CD in my 2004 X3.

The in-dash CD player is dead on my stock stereo. I am considering an aftermarket head unit. I have been getting conflicting advise from the installers.

For starters. My Business CD has DSP. I don't know why that makes a difference if it's being replaced, but to some installers I've spoken with seem to think it does. Because of this, some of the installers are telling me that all of the stock amplifiers in the system need to be removed and/or replaced. Yet, others are saying they can reuse the stock amps and all I need is the standard wiring harness and faceplate mount.

I don't know enough about this stuff to know who to believe. It figured I would just find a nice unit, buy the same Scosche install kit and then get the deed done myself. I'm looking more for functionality than achieving the end-all audio nirvana. I just need bluetooth, aux in, usb, iPod controls and CD player. my X3 has steering wheel controls, and have noticed that all of the stereos I am considering will utilize these if I purchase the correct adapter so this shouldn't be an issue.

Any/All insight anyone can share with me regarding whether or not the amps can be reused or need replacing is appreciated. I have a feeling that I'm getting smoke blown up my @ss by the installers/salesmen so they can just sell me more stuff.

Peace.
:D
If you have DSP I'm pretty sure you have the Premium sound system (at least that's how it is in my 2009). I'm also fairly certain you cannot use an aftermarket stereo with a factory AMP.

These guys http://www.musicarnw.com/ have posted here in the past and can almost certainly answer your question.

Edit: I researched their site and found this for you: http://www.musicarnw.com/oe-interface/

I can tell you that I have not used the CD player in my X3 since I bought it new 4 years ago as I've always had an iPod adapter in it. There are several companies that make them. One that is not loaded with features but seems to work flawlessly is the USASpec:

http://www.amazon.com/USASPEC-PA12-BMW-iPod-Interface-Display/dp/B000SKUBWE/ref=pd_sxp_grid_pt_2_2

#301 ·
OK--so 12 pages of thread and I'm just really wanting to know how I can properly hook up a an amp to my factory radio (base audio). Tap the line level input at the factory amp and run an RCA convertor to the new amp? My GErman Maestros are dying for real amplification, and I've got a nice old school PPI Powerclass amp ready to go.....

#303 ·
Finally got around to installing the Hertz HX300D in to the X3.
The woofer is in a 1.5 cu ft, slot ported enclosure with tuning around 35Hz.
I opted for a slightly lower tuning than reccomended (41Hz), as I wanted it a little more musical.
It certainly has more output than the smaller Rainbow Hammer 10"!!! :bigpimp:

Attachments

#305 ·
usaret & Supercourse,

Wow, thank you for the information. I will give Musicar a call.
A local stereo shop offered to send the head unit for repair @ approximately $200. Thanks to Supercourse's input, I'm thinking this may end up being the cheapest way to go. When I first purchased the X3 I installed the auxilary input. I plug my iPod in there, plus my wife can plug in her phone for music too. My wife likes CDs because her office is only a 5 minute drive from the house and it would be more convenient than always plugging and unplugging her phone.

I have looked at an aftermarket iPod adapter similar to the one usaret recommended, but it uses a cable for a CD changer which my stereo doesn't have.

Again, I think I will call Musicar for their input. Then, possibly send the head unit for repair and then add the iPod adapter later. Finally, replacing the doorspeakers sounds like a good idea too.

Thank you all for your input. Much appreciated.

#306 ·
if you're talking about the audiovox/dice ipod kits, i'm 99.9% sure all USA-spec X3s come with the cd changer cable under the center storage box.

the cable is hard to get to, but it'll come out eventually.

usaret & Supercourse,

Wow, thank you for the information. I will give Musicar a call.
A local stereo shop offered to send the head unit for repair @ approximately $200. Thanks to Supercourse's input, I'm thinking this may end up being the cheapest way to go. When I first purchased the X3 I installed the auxilary input. I plug my iPod in there, plus my wife can plug in her phone for music too. My wife likes CDs because her office is only a 5 minute drive from the house and it would be more convenient than always plugging and unplugging her phone.

I have looked at an aftermarket iPod adapter similar to the one usaret recommended, but it uses a cable for a CD changer which my stereo doesn't have.

Again, I think I will call Musicar for their input. Then, possibly send the head unit for repair and then add the iPod adapter later. Finally, replacing the doorspeakers sounds like a good idea too.

Thank you all for your input. Much appreciated.

#308 ·
Being an old school MB Quart fan, I dropped a set of the German Maestro EFS4008 separates in the doors and it sounds phenomenal. I plan on doing the SWS sub replacements under the seats, and adding an amp. I have a thread showing pics of my install.

For the doors, you need a 4" speaker and the tweeter housing will accept the German Maestro tweeters perfectly. Depth is very shallow in the doors so don't exceed 1.6" or so for speaker depth.

#310 ·
Hi everyone

Firstly, thanks for an excellent thread which I have found invaluable, being a recent owner of a 2007 X3 3.0d M Sport. I'm very happy with the car but the stereo is pony, being the base 6 speaker unamplified UK spec. It really is a joke how bad the system is, in what is marketed as a premium motor. *Anyhow, having used this thread extensively to research aftermarket options, I set about searching for a set of the much recommended Alpine SPS 410 speakers as an easy retrofit. The problem is that in the UK these speakers aren't available so I opted for the closest Alpine equivalent, the SPG 10C2, in the assumption these would also slot straight in. *unfortunately, this isn't the case as the 10c2's have four mounting lugs as opposed to 3 on the 410's. *However, I have managed to get them to fit without too much hastle and thought, just in case anyone else in th UK was thinking of doing the same, id post a couple of pics of the modification I had to carry out to the speakers to get them to fit.

The first photo is the old and new, showing the mounting lugs photo1
The second shows the new speaker dummy fitted showing 2 of the lugs align with what mounting studs photo2
The third shows one of the lugs interferes with the door panel - I cut this lug off with a junior hacksaw. Warranty invalidated!! photo3
The fourth shows the speaker fitted. fabricated a simple tab washer from a steel bracket from a local DIY store which clamps down on the speaker chassis using the third mounting stud. photo4

Sorry, as a newbie I can't post pics on here yet apparently.

The whole job for both front doors took 90 mins, tops. *The results are immediately apparent. There is still loads of room for improvement but for the cost of the speakers (£49), *I recommend anyone with the standard stereo carry this mod out.

Now thinking of doing the same for the rear doors, but had read somewhere on this forum that the rears don't get full range from the head unit. *Is that right? *So far as I can tell the 'standard' rears are the exact same as the 'standard' fronts which do get full range?? *Does anyone know if the rears do in fact get a full range feed from the HU as if they don't, I'm not sure it's worth replacement them?

After the rear doors, I'll probably look into the earthquake SWS midbass upgrade, with an amp in the boot (trunk). I think technic on the forum sells a jumper which bypasses the under seat speakers and sends a high level feed to the trunk and returns an amplified signal back to the under seat speakers. Not sure if it would be better to just get a 2 ch amp for the earthquakes only or a 4 ch to give the front doors a bit more punch as well? *Has anyone tried out this solution on a uk car with the technic harness? I'd be interested to know how difficult it would be to install. Note that my car doesn't have an amplifier or any audio cabling in the trunk so feed/return will had to be run in.

Finally, I may look into sortin out the EQ from the head unit by reprogramming it.....not sure if I need to do this though? Well it make that much of a difference?

Any help/tips gratefully received.

Thanks. Chris

#311 ·
Chris, the SPS-410's are a 4 point mount as well - that's fairly standard. Evl describes using a big flat washer to clamp the speaker frame where you fabricated a square one.

Might be a difference in the shape of the speaker frame, just like the lugs can be a different shape and 1 needed cutting off in your case.

Not sure about your point on the rear speakers - maybe it has been discussed that although both pairs of speakers are well worth upgrading, you will notice the effect more in the front.

Because your model doesn't have the factory component tweeter in the fronts that the N. American market base system has, you benefit even more with the upgrade to co-axials.

Don't know what your best option would be on the amplifier situation - just surprised that the base U.K. system doesn't even have one, especially as the stock 4" door speakers look the same.

#313 ·
I was on the fence about only changing out the front speakers and leaving the rear stockers in place. I decided against it as I felt that given the placement of the speakers relative to my head when driving, the rear speakers would just continue to sound horrible--so I changed them all out and have no regrets.

#312 ·
Thanks for the quick response. There definitely isn't an amp where I expected to find one, behind the removable panel on the left in the trunk. Also, when I have the head unit turned up a bit, the display fades in time with the bass so I'm pretty sure its direct driving the speakers.

I might order another pair of the 10c2's for the back anyhow. Even if they don't get full range, I'm sure they would sound heaps better than the stock items.

Appreciate any further info out there re integrating an amp into the uk spec system.

Cheers

C

#314 ·
I believe at some point I mentioned that the rear upgrade was a waste for me.
The Aussie spec I have is just as dumbed down - no amps and single cone in the doors and 6 inch under the seats (6inch in the 8 inch housing ie real cheap)
I replaced all four doors speakers with the alpine 410's, replaced the under seat speakers with the mentioned earthquakes - blocked the ports an sound matted to death, added a four channel amp in the trunk (in the empty space under the floor ) but then added an alpine PXE-H650 equaliser. I have this set to drive 400Hz above to the doors and below this to the 8 inch earthquakes. Only the front doors and subs are running via the amp/equaliser hence comment that rear upgrades a waste for me. I did not use a five channel amp to also drive the rear doors (2+2+sub) as I needed some higher frequency on the under seat subs hence needed two channel drive - they are really mid subs.
So with just the front door speakers running and the under seat subs it is fully frequency and time delay equalised. ie like wearing headphones in the drivers seat but with thump.
The rears are still running from the stock head unit and are set for very low volume to just provide presence.
All this is completely hidden and looks stock - until you crank the volume :)
I am sure a dedicated sub in a housing in the rear woud be better but I did not want to lose the storage space and I wanted the car to look completely stock. So I think I have gone about as far as I can go in this respect.

#315 ·
I believe at some point I mentioned that the rear upgrade was a waste for me.
The Aussie spec I have is just as dumbed down - no amps and single cone in the doors and 6 inch under the seats (6inch in the 8 inch housing ie real cheap)
I replaced all four doors speakers with the alpine 410's, replaced the under seat speakers with the mentioned earthquakes - blocked the ports an sound matted to death, added a four channel amp in the trunk (in the empty space under the floor ) but then added an alpine PXE-H650 equaliser. I have this set to drive 400Hz above to the doors and below this to the 8 inch earthquakes. Only the front doors and subs are running via the amp/equaliser hence comment that rear upgrades a waste for me. I did not use a five channel amp to also drive the rear doors (2+2+sub) as I needed some higher frequency on the under seat subs hence needed two channel drive - they are really mid subs.
So with just the front door speakers running and the under seat subs it is fully frequency and time delay equalised. ie like wearing headphones in the drivers seat but with thump.
The rears are still running from the stock head unit and are set for very low volume to just provide presence.
All this is completely hidden and looks stock - until you crank the volume :)Y
I am sure a dedicated sub in a housing in the rear woud be better but I did not want to lose the storage space and I wanted the car to look completely stock. So I think I have gone about as far as I can go in this respect.
Oiler, I'm guessing then that the UK and Aussie specs are identical as both righ hand drive. When I get a chance I'll pop out a floor sub to see if it's a 6 inch or 8 inch to confirm. I'm hoping all the wiring I'll need to splice into will be under the front seats as the feed from the HU goes first to the underseats, then from there to the from doors, right?

I might just swap out the rears for 10c2's anyhow as its a pretty low cost mod and I can get that done whilst I procrastinate over the options/methods for upgrading the subs!

#316 ·
The front doors can be tapped from the rear inside the pop out section with the mesh net on it. The connections will be wrapped in foam and will have capacitors connected. The capacitors are in series with the front doors speakers. Ie cut bass to them. This series combination is in parallel with the subs. Messy eh! The result is that at low frequency only the subs are in circuit and then present 4 ohms to the head but at high frequency the capacitors are low impedance and thus the front doors are directly in parallel with the subs and thus present 2 ohm to the head unit. I think a cheap way to cut power output from the head nti at low frequency. Not sure what happens to the rear door speakers btw. The gory details can be seen here:

http://wds.spaghetticoder.org/en/e8...ody/Audio,_video_and_navigation/Sound_output/

Select your car and happy viewing.

The subs I had to run cables to and from. Not too hard. Pull out the rear seat and you can thread cables from the sub location under the door sills and to the empty section in the rear. wiring to the front speakers is easy then as just have to disconnect the capacitors in the rear and connect to the speakers making sure you drive the speakers and not the head unit lol. A 9volt battery can be used to test by listening or a ohm meter. Btw those connectors that connect the capacitors are a pain. Use a sharp pointed implement to insert in the connector and then gently prise apart.

#317 ·
Thanks Oiler. Ok. Just had a quick look in the back of the car for the caps, behind the removable panel on the right hand side of the trunk. No wires wrapped in foam, arrrggh! I cant get to the removable panel on the left as car loaded for a weekend away, but when I was looking for (and not finding) the oem amp, I didn't find any wiring there either. Have I got your directions wrong about the capacitor location or is the UK car different from your spec?? It would be so much easier if BMW were shipping the same spec worldwide!!

PSU - thanks and I'm pretty much decided to upgrade the rears as you suggest.......

#318 ·
Left hand rear side compartment towards the top. The compartment where the blue tooth module would be located.
If your system is as dumbed down as mine there is no separate amp. Just the head unit driving the speakers.

#319 ·
Left hand rear side compartment towards the top. The compartment where the blue tooth module would be located.*
If your system is as dumbed down as mine there is no separate amp. Just the head unit driving the speakers.
Just removed the left hand panel and double checked for the caps. Also went back to post 221/222 on this thread with the photos of the caps to double check I was looking in the right location. Definitely no caps or audio wiring there on my UK 2007 car. *It looks alike the uk and aussie specs are different. Doh! I'll post a link to a pic of the 'missing' wiring when I can.

I'm wondering if the base system on a uk car actually has capacitors at all? Is there an easy way to tell using a meter, perhaps by disconnecting the plug from the back of the HU?

Now resigned to running new wiring from behind the dash to the amp location and back, plus to/from both under seat locations!

#322 ·
X3 Stereo build

Just wanted to show what i have currently been working on with my stereo in the X3. It's not complete yet but I've made a ton of progress. The equipment Hybrid Audio L1VProR2 tweeters, L4SE mid-range and L8 Mid-bass, Amps are Zuki Mono and Two Zuki Burr Brown. I am going to be using a Alpine H-800 signal processor. I am still undecided on Sub but it will most Likely be a 10" Morel Ultimo. I made custom a-pillars and door panels for speakers as well as custom sub-box for the sub. Still need to wire everything up. I may redo the door panels as the cut into leg room i need to see what is behind the door panel as far as space goes before i decide on that.

Attachments

#325 ·
Thanks Super....If you have the business sound system. I would say probably not based on my experience with my two X3's and the half dozen others I worked on.

#326 ·
Chrono..why didnt you use the PDX Alpine series. Much more compact and as a class D they generate little heat.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.