BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

First Time BMW X5 Owner with Questions

3K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  bimmerzone 
#1 ·
I just purchased a Certified Preowned 2009 BMW X5 48i and have a couple of questions that the BMW owners manual didn't address.

1) My X5 has 3rd row seating and did not see the location of the spare tire. The manual picture of the location of the spare tire doesn't match up with the vehicle. Does it not come with the vehicle? The vehicle does have run flat tires.

2) The dealer strongly suggested using 91 octane fuel yet the manual says 87 octane could be used if there are not any performance issues, such as engine knocking. Anyone running 87 octane out there?

#2 ·
Congrats!

1) 3rd row cancels spare tire. Left with rft and possibly buying a can of fix a flat.
2) use 91 unless you cannot find 87. 91 is a must. If by any chance you have fuel issues in the future, BMW may use that against u. Do yourself a favor and purchase 91 enjoy the engine performance as it was designed and possible future hassle.

#3 ·
As NoI4Plz noted, there is no spare tire, and no place to carry a spare tire, if you have 3rd row. No jack either. If you venture far out of LV you will want to be certain your AAA or other roadside assistance plan can get to you with a flatbed. (RFT's do fail, and can only be driven for a relatively short distance when they lose air pressure).

And if you are thinking about taking the X5 off pavement, you should consider carrying a full size spare (not a donut), plus a floor jack (not the silly BMW scissors jack you didn't get with the car, anyway).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.