BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Help....

1K views 18 replies 9 participants last post by  Double-S 
#1 ·
My SO wants me to teach her how to drive stick in the M Roady cause she wants to take her out once in a while. Our other two cars are auto and I don't know what to do.:eek:
Any comments or advice would be appreciated.
Thanks.

#2 ·
Find someone else teach her.

I found it a whole lot easier to have someone else teach my kids how to drive stick shift cars. My blood pressure was a lot lower and their feelings not hurt. By all means though let her learn to drive the ///M.

#3 ·
I agree with Fred on letting her learn to drive it. Sharing is caring.

But if you (meaning both of you) can deal with it, teach her yourself. Those of us that have been doing it for 25 years can make good teachers IF we read some reminders of the usual trials and tribulations that we've forgotten. I think the 2 best tips are letting her familiarize herself with the clutch and shift pattern before starting the car, and using the no-gas method to get the car moving in 1st gear. The latter lets her get a feel for the friction point of the clutch without potential for clutch-roasting.

And of course make sure she fully understands that the parking brake isn't optional. :)

Plenty of good write-ups on the web, for example:

http://www.standardshift.com/faq.html

#6 ·
Do I know you?:confused:

That was very rude and uncalled for. My SO means a great deal to me and I'm sure once she 'mastered' it everything would be OK.

You're a trouble maker.:thumbdwn:

#8 ·
Go the free route, dress down and go hit a cheap used car lot (peferably a BHPH) and start looking at cheap stick cars. Get the sales guy excited that youve got a good down payment but she is a bit rusty on a 5 speed but with gas prices where they are you need a manual :rofl: Let the sales guy teach her how to drive :thumbup:

#12 ·
Indeed. I can remember when my ex first started driving my roadster. In no time at all it started disappearing for 4 hours at a time. Which in all honesty made me very happy... it meant she was enjoying it and that's what roadsters are all about. :thumbup:

#15 ·
Good point. I think I'm going to ask her sister to lend us her stick for lessons until she has the basics down then I'll get her into the roady gradually.:thumbup:
I hope her sister will be OK with it.:dunno:
Thanks for all the advice guys!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.