Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 1M & M2 > F87 M2 (2016 - current)

F87 M2 (2016 - current)
BMW will be unveiling the upcoming F87 M2 and this is the place to talk about it. Are you adding one of these to your garage?

Old 03-01-2016, 12:21 PM
@jessluvsports - twitter

Mein Auto: M235i
Good review Tim. Very helpful. I'm looking forward to a test drive; I probably would not purchase it until it comes out with a convertible version. Any rumblings on it being release in 2017?
Old 04-04-2016, 11:07 AM

Mein Auto: Porsche Macan Turbo
Nice review, makes my decision to get an M2 a little easier! Thanks!
Old 04-07-2016, 11:34 AM
Past Sponsor

Mein Auto:
Just got our first one in today!

Old 04-10-2016, 03:56 AM

Mein Auto: Yukon XL
Quote:
Originally Posted by myryde View Post
Good review Tim. Very helpful. I'm looking forward to a test drive; I probably would not purchase it until it comes out with a convertible version. Any rumblings on it being release in 2017?
Go for a m235i and drop some dinan parts in it!

http://www.autoblog.com/2016/02/25/n...rtible-report/
Old 04-27-2016, 09:15 AM
@jessluvsports - twitter

Mein Auto: M235i
The Stage 4 bring the M235i up to 445 HP and 455 Ft. Pounds of torque. Impressive!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BurpZilla View Post
Go for a m235i and drop some dinan parts in it!

http://www.autoblog.com/2016/02/25/n...rtible-report/
Old 04-29-2016, 06:44 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 528 M Sport
The BMW M2 Review - This is the BMW you've been waiting for

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1461980522.825572.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	309.8 KB
ID:	561313Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1461980541.466185.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	62.9 KB
ID:	561314Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1461980622.824959.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	277.2 KB
ID:	561315Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1461980636.949134.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	304.1 KB
ID:	561316Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1461980657.358392.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	280.1 KB
ID:	561317 M2 training yesterday--
74' 2002i / 94' 325i (E36) / 96' M3 (E36) / 02' M3 SMG (E46) / 04' 745i (E65) / 06' 325xi 5MT Sedan (E46) / 13' 528i M Sport (F10) / 16' M3 6MT (F80) PC Delivery 6/23/16 / 17' M3 6MT ZCP (F80) / BMWCCA# 513916

Last edited by btm3; 04-29-2016 at 06:45 PM.
Old 04-30-2016, 11:38 AM
Bimmerfest.com Founder

Mein Auto: Ti Silver 03 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by btm3 View Post
Nice! How was the training?

Tim
Old 05-16-2016, 11:10 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 330i & BMW C650GT
90-minute test drive review

I'm picking up a blue M2 DCT w Exec pkg in Munich on July 25. Yesterday I got to drive the dealer demo that arrived three days ago. Here are some impressions, and things I've learned.
Background: My dealership is BMW Peabody in Massachusetts; I've been doing business with them since they opened umpty-ump years ago. They got a black MT M2 for a demo car, and are allowing M2 deposit-paid customers and some other long-term customers to test-drive it, but no walk-ins. (The sales mgr wishes he could sell it now since the casual inquiries are driving everyone crazy.)
On my drive of maybe 45-50 miles I was more interested in handling and feel than mere speed, though I did a dozen highway miles. Enough to feel it was close to the M4 I recently drove in terms of acceleration. Given that I'm going to spend less than 0.001% of my time traveling over 100mph, I focused on acceleration from 20-50, 40-70, and 50-80...all quite satisfying and more than adequate. If a Shelby Mustang or Corvette sparks up beside you, you'll probably lose, but then if that's what you want in a car, you're not reading this anyway.
Here are my impressions as I recorded them (by voice) at appropriate moments during my drive:
The steering is quite quick, certainly moreso than my 2006 330i sport with variable ratio steering. Took a while a acclimate, but I met the challenge in time.
6th (top) gear at 3000 rpm = 80mph.
The shifter is very smooth and precise, with moderately long throws. Very satisfying, though for my tastes if I got the MT I'd be looking for a short-throw kit before long.
The seats incredibly comfortable, as you can tell by a 60-second showroom sit. Better than any BMW seats I can recall.
Long clutch pedal with progressively even take-up; rev-matching works, though you can still muck up a shift if not paying attention. I found it bucked a few times when I was applying less than heavy pedal, but sometimes you can't or don't want to scream away from a stop. I sometimes got the sense that someone else's foot was on the gas with or just before mine, and it interfered with my sense of what was happening. As a long-time manual driver used to decades of working on heel-and-toe technique, it was a bother. The technology felt in the way; glad I ordered the DCT. By the same token, I'm sure that if saddled with a MT M2, I'd adjust and find a way to live a long a happy life with it.
First and second gears are short, and from a stop I found it took effort to run through them smoothly to third, at which point everything turned to butter. After the first half hour I got better, but began starting out in second most of the time, and happier for it.
Augmented sound was present, but for some reason less obtrusive than in the M4 I drove a few days ago. I could live with it, but will probably look for info on-line about how to disconnect without pulling the audio fuse (which kills the entire sound system.)
Unbelievably comfortable seats. (Did I say that already?) Better than I ever remember in the M235, which I really liked. Cheap leather and downgrade interior finish, but given the overall driving experience, I don't care enough to whine even a little.
More than $30K less than the M4 I drove. Sure fewer features, but 95% or more of the performance and I think possibly better feel. I like the short wheelbase; it's discernibly more lively in handling.
Outside mirrors seem unnecessarily small for the size of the exterior housing, but adequate given my experience with the smaller-than-ideal mirrors on any performance BMW.
It's got a silly fuel consumption indicator occupying the bottom quarter of the tach gauge. Why bother with a blue band labeled "EfficientDynamics"? Whuh? The fun all rests on the red end of the gauge, and since it's most likely driven by a vacuum sensor than a fuel sensor, who cares? It swings too widely and quickly to be useful for much, but then again I never tried any steady-state highway driving where it might have some value. Right above it is an indicator letting you know if the computer thinks you should be in a higher or lower gear. For enthusiasts it will never suggest a lower gear ;-). I frequently found myself at 3000-4000rpm in 3rd or 4th when it wished I would go to 6th. Ummm...naaaah, I think not.
I'd forgotten or didn't realize it has a lane departure warning. I suppose on the highway it has some value, but around town I paid little attention. The couple times I wandered over a line it buzzed the wheel a bit, but not much. If the road is rough at all you'd likely assume it's just a bit more gravel growl coming up through the wheel.
BTW, the electric steering is fine. The days of hydraulic are gone unless you buy old school, but having gone from one to the other and back again with less than 10 min gap between each experience, any steering woes are way down my list of disappointments. (If and when I start such a list.) Besides, today's cars are so much heavier than comparable models of 20 years ago that I doubt we'd find the relative virtues of hydraulic steering nearly as noteworthy as many pundits and poseurs imagine.
If I chose the manual, I have no doubt at all that my mileage would lag well behind the EPA's estimate and that of the DCT--it's just too much fun running around at 2500-3000+rpm despite the economy advantages of being a couple gears higher. It will quietly purr along all day at 1500rpm in 4th, 5th or 6th if you want to. Not that once you put a foot into it the taller gears don't wake up and get you moving; just not with the same excitement and rackety-wonderful noises as the lower gears.
Other than the stiff chassis with tightly controlled ride, in slow traffic it's a kittycat as tractable and "plain" to drive as my 330i. But twitch the right foot or turn sharply and the claws come out. The range of personality from 1/10 to 7/10 (as far as I chose to go even briefly on public roads in a car I don't own) is remarkable.
The chassis is very stiff. Wow. And the suspension is firm for sure, but somehow less harsh than the Bilstein Sport dampers and springs in my 330i. Very controlled is perhaps the best description. But there's nothing Mercedes Airmatic about it. I set it in Comfort for a bit, but didn't feel any noticeable difference, if there even is any. (Note this car's default setting upon Start is Sport.) Driving over some rough roads I regularly take in my 330i, the M2 may have moved about as much in absolute terms, but definitely felt much more controlled.
So endeth my notes; that's it for now. Too bad the supply of M2s is so tight; my dealer expects no more than one per month, and is already sold out through much of 2017. I think this car will indeed live up to the hype, and while not being anything like equivalents in the form of the legendary E30 M3 or the E36 M3 (both of which I've driven enough to judge), it will equal them in ways that provide equal fun even though the yesteryear driving experiences are long gone for most of us.

Last edited by BoothbayBimmer; 05-16-2016 at 11:16 PM. Reason: change word incorrectly cut as rude (p*ssycat)
Old 05-17-2016, 12:22 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: e30, e60, R1100S
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoothbayBimmer View Post
I'm picking up a blue M2 DCT w Exec pkg in Munich on July 25. Yesterday I got to drive the dealer demo that arrived three days ago. Here are some impressions, and things I've learned.
Background: My dealership is BMW Peabody in Massachusetts; I've been doing business with them since they opened umpty-ump years ago. They got a black MT M2 for a demo car, and are allowing M2 deposit-paid customers and some other long-term customers to test-drive it, but no walk-ins. (The sales mgr wishes he could sell it now since the casual inquiries are driving everyone crazy.)
On my drive of maybe 45-50 miles I was more interested in handling and feel than mere speed, though I did a dozen highway miles. Enough to feel it was close to the M4 I recently drove in terms of acceleration. Given that I'm going to spend less than 0.001% of my time traveling over 100mph, I focused on acceleration from 20-50, 40-70, and 50-80...all quite satisfying and more than adequate. If a Shelby Mustang or Corvette sparks up beside you, you'll probably lose, but then if that's what you want in a car, you're not reading this anyway.
Here are my impressions as I recorded them (by voice) at appropriate moments during my drive:
The steering is quite quick, certainly moreso than my 2006 330i sport with variable ratio steering. Took a while a acclimate, but I met the challenge in time.
6th (top) gear at 3000 rpm = 80mph.
The shifter is very smooth and precise, with moderately long throws. Very satisfying, though for my tastes if I got the MT I'd be looking for a short-throw kit before long.
The seats incredibly comfortable, as you can tell by a 60-second showroom sit. Better than any BMW seats I can recall.
Long clutch pedal with progressively even take-up; rev-matching works, though you can still muck up a shift if not paying attention. I found it bucked a few times when I was applying less than heavy pedal, but sometimes you can't or don't want to scream away from a stop. I sometimes got the sense that someone else's foot was on the gas with or just before mine, and it interfered with my sense of what was happening. As a long-time manual driver used to decades of working on heel-and-toe technique, it was a bother. The technology felt in the way; glad I ordered the DCT. By the same token, I'm sure that if saddled with a MT M2, I'd adjust and find a way to live a long a happy life with it.
First and second gears are short, and from a stop I found it took effort to run through them smoothly to third, at which point everything turned to butter. After the first half hour I got better, but began starting out in second most of the time, and happier for it.
Augmented sound was present, but for some reason less obtrusive than in the M4 I drove a few days ago. I could live with it, but will probably look for info on-line about how to disconnect without pulling the audio fuse (which kills the entire sound system.)
Unbelievably comfortable seats. (Did I say that already?) Better than I ever remember in the M235, which I really liked. Cheap leather and downgrade interior finish, but given the overall driving experience, I don't care enough to whine even a little.
More than $30K less than the M4 I drove. Sure fewer features, but 95% or more of the performance and I think possibly better feel. I like the short wheelbase; it's discernibly more lively in handling.
Outside mirrors seem unnecessarily small for the size of the exterior housing, but adequate given my experience with the smaller-than-ideal mirrors on any performance BMW.
It's got a silly fuel consumption indicator occupying the bottom quarter of the tach gauge. Why bother with a blue band labeled "EfficientDynamics"? Whuh? The fun all rests on the red end of the gauge, and since it's most likely driven by a vacuum sensor than a fuel sensor, who cares? It swings too widely and quickly to be useful for much, but then again I never tried any steady-state highway driving where it might have some value. Right above it is an indicator letting you know if the computer thinks you should be in a higher or lower gear. For enthusiasts it will never suggest a lower gear ;-). I frequently found myself at 3000-4000rpm in 3rd or 4th when it wished I would go to 6th. Ummm...naaaah, I think not.
I'd forgotten or didn't realize it has a lane departure warning. I suppose on the highway it has some value, but around town I paid little attention. The couple times I wandered over a line it buzzed the wheel a bit, but not much. If the road is rough at all you'd likely assume it's just a bit more gravel growl coming up through the wheel.
BTW, the electric steering is fine. The days of hydraulic are gone unless you buy old school, but having gone from one to the other and back again with less than 10 min gap between each experience, any steering woes are way down my list of disappointments. (If and when I start such a list.) Besides, today's cars are so much heavier than comparable models of 20 years ago that I doubt we'd find the relative virtues of hydraulic steering nearly as noteworthy as many pundits and poseurs imagine.
If I chose the manual, I have no doubt at all that my mileage would lag well behind the EPA's estimate and that of the DCT--it's just too much fun running around at 2500-3000+rpm despite the economy advantages of being a couple gears higher. It will quietly purr along all day at 1500rpm in 4th, 5th or 6th if you want to. Not that once you put a foot into it the taller gears don't wake up and get you moving; just not with the same excitement and rackety-wonderful noises as the lower gears.
Other than the stiff chassis with tightly controlled ride, in slow traffic it's a kittycat as tractable and "plain" to drive as my 330i. But twitch the right foot or turn sharply and the claws come out. The range of personality from 1/10 to 7/10 (as far as I chose to go even briefly on public roads in a car I don't own) is remarkable.
The chassis is very stiff. Wow. And the suspension is firm for sure, but somehow less harsh than the Bilstein Sport dampers and springs in my 330i. Very controlled is perhaps the best description. But there's nothing Mercedes Airmatic about it. I set it in Comfort for a bit, but didn't feel any noticeable difference, if there even is any. (Note this car's default setting upon Start is Sport.) Driving over some rough roads I regularly take in my 330i, the M2 may have moved about as much in absolute terms, but definitely felt much more controlled.
So endeth my notes; that's it for now. Too bad the supply of M2s is so tight; my dealer expects no more than one per month, and is already sold out through much of 2017. I think this car will indeed live up to the hype, and while not being anything like equivalents in the form of the legendary E30 M3 or the E36 M3 (both of which I've driven enough to judge), it will equal them in ways that provide equal fun even though the yesteryear driving experiences are long gone for most of us.
it's not driven by a sensor at all. even the e30 was more advanced than a vacuum gauge! it's run off the computer via injector pulse width/engine rpm/vehicle speed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeNoo View Post
Although I have nothing scientific to say, I can confidently say that it works.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burning2nd View Post
If you want to use the fuhrers snowmobile you gotta have das tires
Old 05-17-2016, 03:57 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 330i & BMW C650GT
Thanks u3b3rg33k - I learn something everyday. Though I suppose I could have figured it was something more computer-driven.

Still, the gauge indicator jumps around too fast for me to have found any practical use for it. That space could have been better used for oil temp, pressure, water temp, boost, etc...something more interesting in learning about what's going on.
Old 06-07-2016, 01:48 AM

Mein Auto: e90 335d, e36 328i
Sounds like a car that plays exhaust notes thru its speakers... Reads like epic FAIL.

Then again, the reviewer seems to still have his driving hymen, so who knows? Thrilled with point and click steering, brakes that don't fade on lap 1, surprised by staggered wheels on a beefy RWD, excited @ 369 torque, wowed by differentiated front and rear patterns (old news, NOT a Mich innovation)... sounds like the kind of simple soul who genuinely believes that my non-RFT Pirellis, Alfa Romeo specced (read "on sale") , and on 'unapproved' wheels at that, are a hazard to us all.

Well, whatever. So much for the M2. May the wusses enjoy it, I'll pass.

Electric steering.... pfff/ughh.

See More Related BMW Stories

Tags
2016 bmw m2, 2016 bmw m2 pricing, bmw, bmw m2, bmw m2 track test, f87 m2, m2, m2 bmw, m2 forum, m2 review

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 1M & M2 > F87 M2 (2016 - current)
Today's Posts Search