Can you hear your turbo wastegate?

• N20 - Yes and it's a little annoying

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • N55 - No

Votes: 0 0.0%

Can you hear the turbo wastegate?

4K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  greyX1 
#1 · (Edited)
Just thought I'd start a pole to see what % of people can hear the turbo wastegate "hiss". I imagine this might somewhat be a "how good is your hearing or observations" but none the less...

!!! Since we can't change the poll options once they're set, please treat the answers "Yes, and it's a little annoying" as a general "Yes, and it's fairly loud" regardless if you like the sound or find it too loud for your liking. I should have realized that most people really like the sound and this poll is primarily to report if you hear the wastegate and how loud you think it is, regardless if you like the sound or not. Thanks.

#4 ·
I can't find a way to edit the poll choices... I guess just treat "Yes and it's annoying" as also "Yes and it sounds awesome". I'm just trying to gauge how loud everyone things the noise is. I personally didn't start noticing the sound until about 1500 miles (I was easy on it until 1200+ miles) but now I can pick up on the sound very regularly.

#6 ·
I picked yes, but only slightly!!

It really is only audible when you get some nice build up in there. (high rpm before gear change)
Less so with Eco pro as it changes gears faster.

My wife always copies the sound when she hears it and then giggles.
"Peeeeuuuuuuuuuuuuuu"

:)

#8 · (Edited)
With the BMS tune it's quite noticeable, particularly on hills, and I love it. I don't get why anyone would find it annoying, but I also don't get why people don't like the diesel-like sound of the engine at idle. It's a turbo-charged 4cyl that puts out 120hp/L. A work of art. Why can't people let go of their expectations and embrace the new technology, sounds and all and enjoy them. If you want quiet go buy a Lexus.

#11 ·
I can't wait to hear the sound of the new V6T's in the F1's next season. I did lament the move to V8's in 2006, but it really drove the industry (look at the efficiency of the 400HP NA 4.4L V8 in the X5 .... imagine that 15 years ago!). I do miss the V10's and 12's of the past, but the new technology is exciting too. With a likely move to 4cyl in the next few years (they played around with a move 4cyl turbos for 2014 but that apparently was too fast of a move) I hope BMW will regain interest in putting together a team!

#14 ·
One more comment on the sound... Has anyone noticed that the hum of the engine on the highway sounds vaguely like a single engine prop plane? I love that, considering BMW has its roots in aircraft engines... Listen for it!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.