BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Alpin, X-Ice or something else?

841 views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  surly 
#1 ·
All,

I am looking for assistance in choosing the "right" winter tire for me.

I have narrowed it down to two choices, the Alpin or X-ice, but these SEEM to be for much different usages.

I live in an area that either does not get much snow (a few inches a year), or a LOT of snow in a single storm (can get 3+FEET of snow in a single storm). That said, I do travel up from Delaware to the Philly region a few times a week, and they get more snow than we do down here.

I am not concerned about the big snows...our Governor shuts down the state for the big ones and it becomes an offence just to be on the roads unless you have a "critical" job like firefighting, police, utility worker, etc.

What I am concerned with is getting into and out of my subdivision/driveway as these can be icy for days after even a mild snow until they get around to salting it. Since it's several miles to the main road from my house, that is the worst of it. Once on the main roads, it's usually dry. The other concern is that once I go into PA, they usually get hit harder and it takes longer for them to clear the loose snow/ice from the secondary roads.

I am not looking for all out performance from my winter tire. I am just looking for a lot better grip than what I am getting on my current set. If I were still in Illinois, I would get the X-Ice, but I am not sure around here.

If it gets too bad, I can take my 4x4 truck, but I can't take my truck to the airport (too big).

We can also get some very warm days here as well, getting into the 50s even in Feb and I don't like the idea of premature tread wear from that on the X-Ice.

Sorry for the long post and I hope it's not too confusing...for the TL;DRs out there. Alpin or X-Ice for a place that is mostly dry, but when we get snow, we can have ice for days?

See less See more
#3 ·
Of the two, I had X-Ice on my retired E60. I was very impressed with them. They were a Consumers Report top pick as well. They seemed good at everything, from packed snow to ice. As the season turned warmer they still performed well. My F10 has Dunlop run-flats which I also like.
Of the two tires you have narrowed it down to, I would go for the X-ice.

#5 ·
My favorite is the Alpin. I have the current PA4 version - hard to get in San Diego, but I did manage. Drew to Denver and back over Christmas in some rather nasty conditions indeed: blowing snow on highways, packed snow backroads, single track driving over snow-ice around Kanab, UT (Grand Canyon North Rim). I used to commute from Rochester NY to Buffalo sometimes in a complete white out - most terrible possible lake effect snow storms of 2009: Hwy 90 would be closed, would take 104 side road and my E46 330i 6spd manual RWD with PA3 would be the only car moving. Past all of the F150 or Audi Allroads in the ditches.

#6 ·
I've read (and heard first hand reports from live people not just the Internet) that Xi3 tires have some issues in "slush". "Slush" can mean a lot of things, but it includes the pasty coating that's on the roads every time a significant snowfall starts. Drivers have reported unacceptable traction levels for snow tires in these particular conditions, which is one of the major times you want winter tires (duh).

I'd add Nokian Hakkapeliitta R2s to your list of serious winter tires. If you don't get much "winter" in your area, then check out performance winter tires like Alpins.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.