BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

No function of the electric swing towbar

34K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  Makosjarks 
#1 ·
Hi

I have a problem with the electric swing towbar on my X5 F15. When i press the button to fold the towbar , the led on the button flash red and i've a message on the dispaly board that the towbar is not lock.

Do you know what is the problem? Is it a well known problem on the BMW electrical swing towbar?

Is there a reset procedure?

Is it a problem of stop switch in the electric mechanism?

thanks for your help

#2 ·
Hi

Nobody gets such problem?

After i have tried about 10 tests in 15 minutes before it retracts , After , it has closed. But the problem reappears every time , when try to use it again , still gets stuck half time , with receiving warning message on the dashboard display.

I have a permanently flashing red light and I've tried every variation time of button pushing to get the thing to move,
but still no movement ! and will not retract.

Does there a reset procedure with the button
or diagnostic possibility with OBD and Ista/D software ?

Assistance would be much appreciated to fix this problem.

#4 ·
Hi John

I'm talking about the X5 F15 X5 30dX Trailer coupling, electric swiveling.

This is a link with a video of such device. This one is on a 5 serie F10, but it is exactly the same towbar on the X5 F15

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1cA7rMgWJ8M

When the trailer hitch is under the car, You unfold it by pushing a button switch located in the car trunk.

My problem is that now about 50% of the time the tow hitch don't move and will not retract back under the car.

The light normally green , becomes red ( that indicates a default) and I've also a message on the display panel of the dashboard of the car.

My problem is how i can fix this problem ?

Thanks a lot

#5 ·
You have the retractable European tow bar. Wish we had those here. There are several Australian users who get those and hopefully they can provide some input.

Look for my private message.

#7 · (Edited)
Hi I've got F15 with electric towbar.
Same problem...4th time I've used it, pressed to retract. Light turned red & it unlocked itself (apparently) but didn't move. Won't relock & I can't tow with it - this being a particular problem as I'm part way into my Holiday in France.
Any reset suggestion would be great.

#10 ·
In case someone runs across this thread late (now 2021), I had a similar issue with my F31. Push the trailer hitch button in the trunk, get a red light. It turns out that if you manually set "trailer mode" on in the control panel in the car, you cannot retract the hitch. All I had to do was unselect trailer mode, change page in the control panel, press the trunk button again, and the hitch retracted fine... hope it helps someone, difficult to track this one down.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.