BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Run Flat Replacement - variation on the theme

648 views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  Aggravation225 
#1 ·
Please hold your fire, I've searched the archives and can't find this particular question answered in the hundreds of posts on RFT replacement.

Hoping to replace base 16" RFT's on my 328Xi with conventional tires - no sport package involved. On the strong recommendation from local tire dealer I tried an alternative set with unsatisfactory results. Getting into the car I immediately noticed it sat lower. Same 205-55-16 size yet lower. Arriving home I scraped going in and out of the driveway. In traffic, the BMW speedometer error was increased to about 8 mph at 72. Softer, quieter ride, but too many side issues, I went back to ContiPro Contact SSR's which are OK but still RFT.

TireRack confirmed that these issues were entirely possible. For example MXM4 Michelins turn 836 RPM/mile while Extreme Contacts turn 831 RPM - but both are 24.9" diameter. The MXM4 will sit lower and yield a higher speedometer reading. They heard what I was saying but couldn't make a specific recommendation for my criteria.

Doubt I'm unique in this situation but find no similar issues. Would very much appreciate learning about successful transitions from the base 16" RFT's to conventional options. What conventional tires retain the character of the car without significant side effects?

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.