BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Mass airflow sensor failure related to CBU?

8K views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  Wannabe32 
#1 ·
So I went in and had my SES light checked. They diagnosed a faulty mass air flow sensor and replaced it.

Any chance this is indicative of CBU issues in the near future?

#3 ·
Here is what it said specifically:

Effective Mass air flow sensor. Implausible intake air temp sensor.
inspected and road tested. scoped vehicle and found faults for mass air flow. followed test plan and found intake air compare to charge air is not ok. checked charge air sensor and found ok. checked intake air temp sensor and found out of spec. replaced mass air flow sensor and performed adaptation. cleared faults and road tested. no faults returned.

part number 13-62-8-509-725 hot-cil air mass

thoughts.

FYI My car is a july 2011 build (one of the last 335ds) with 27k miles.

#5 · (Edited)
Mostly short trips. 8 months after we bought we moved cross country from a big city to a small college town. My commute and pretty much anything I ever drive to is less than 15 minutes. with occasional 400-500 mile road trip.

around town I've mostly tried to drive in sport mode, but who knows if that has really helped. My warranty expires in a few days. Hopefully in I get the CBU in the next several months I can convince them to fix it for free seeing as it has such low miles.

#7 ·
Short trips are the kiss of death for these cars. I bought mine with 34,000 miles a little over two years ago and now its at 81,000 without issues. For short trips around town we use the VW.

#6 ·
I had the MAF sensor start acting up on mine recently. Did a smoke test and found one of my hoses had been broken and replaced by someone with some USA tubing. It was obviously not making a full seal. Replacing the part now. I had CBU cleaning done at 100k miles. At 119k right now. I was getting similar codes to you. If the codes come back, maybe do a smoke test to look for a leak.

#12 ·
MAF, CBU or both?

Sorry for posting to an older thread.

2011 335d with 58k and just got the SES light. Great news.
Codes are P0101 only.
Car seems to still run well and haven't noticed any decline is gas mileage which has been around 33.6 for a very long time.

Before taking it in I was hoping to get some input on whether a new Mass Air Flow sensor is likely to fix this or if I should start budgeting and calling around for a carbon cleaning. Seems like a waste to do both.

Not happy but sounds like I'm not alone.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.