BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

thinking of buying x5 suv

5K views 44 replies 19 participants last post by  Matt_UKTX 
#1 ·
i am very indecisive and have been looking at the x5 for a long time. worried about maintenance issues. wondering if i should wait for active hybrid engine...i drive an acura mdx and like having the third row and would include this option on the x5. anyone out there having major issues with your x5?

#3 ·
If you read 10 posts of "major issues" in response to your question- out of the 25,000 users here- what will you do?

You are worried about 'maintenance', yet thinking waiting for a new engine will reduce maintenance or 'problems'???

How long will you own the X5? Lets start there.

#4 · (Edited)
Don't hesitate. The X5 blows the MDX out of the water. Don't do what I did... I got rid of my 535i and wanted an X5. Instead I took the safer, more practical and cheaper route and bought an FX35. Biggest mistake I've ever made, and I have regretted it every day since.

Six months later and I'm trading in the FX35 for an X5d.

Maintenance issues? I've owned 3 BMW's and I have never had an issue where the car wouldn't start or I've been stranded. Worst issue? I had to have the high pressure fuel pump replaced on my 535i. Car was in the shop for 2 days. No big deal... Plus it was all covered by warranty and I got a free loaner.

Overall, I feel that BMW offers the best trade off between driving exhilaration, practicality, reliability and price.

Again, don't hesitate, don't think, just pull the trigger. Once you do, you'll never drive anything else :)

#6 ·
PS: Forget the active hybrid nonsense. If you want to be green by a Prius, Volt or Leaf. These are drivers cars.

With that said, the X5 35d is an excellent fit. Improved fuel economy, a bulletproof transmission, and a tried and trusted engine that has been used in Europe for many years.

#7 ·
Buy the X5D. It is the perfect combination of sport, luxury, and utility. We test drove the MDX because of the third row seating. That's where the similarities end between the MDX and the X5. Even with the MDX Advance model the drive felt "floaty" and I felt disconnected from the road and the car. The quality of the materials in the MDX does not match that of the BMW. Frankly, the MDX seemed to be a glorified Honda Pilot whereas the X5 is its own entity. Pending the options, you'll probably pay more for the X5 and may have more mechanical issues. But in the long run the BMW will keep you coming back for more. One of the worst cars I've ever owned from a mechanical standpoint has been a Toyota that we are replacing with an X5d. On the flip-side one of the most reliable cars I've ever owned has been my 8 year old e39 M5 with 77K on the odo. Bottom line, all cars break down and need regular maintenance. Pick the car that puts a smile on your face everytime you get behind the wheel. Driving is a visceral feeling and in my opinion BMW blows the doors off Acura in that regard. :beerchug:

#8 ·
I could not agree more with what you said. BTW, your e39 M5 is an absolute beauty. I think the e39 is my favorite 5 series of recent years, and the E38 is definitely my favorite 7 series, although the new Fxx models look promising :)

#9 ·
ok, i bought the mdx 2 1/2 years ago when dealers were panicking because they had lots filled with cars and new shipments were coming. I paid 36 for the top model mdx. now after having a few very frustrating issues with the electronics and power steering I could get close to what i paid at trade in. we buy cars to keep for years and the x5 would be the car my son would probably drive in a few years. I have to say the MDX has a very nasty blind spot. I don't want my son driving it. I just dont want to trade in for a X5 and then have more trouble.

but then the guilt sets in.....so much money for a car....

#13 ·
but then the guilt sets in.....so much money for a car....
As long as you're not putting yourself in the poor house to buy the thing, why feel guilty? You're going to own it for years, and it's going to bring you pleasure. Ultimately, isn't that why you work hard - for the simple pleasures in life?

BTW, the MDX is not a cheap car any more. A friend of a friend just paid $55K for his. You could get an X5 for that.

#10 ·
Have had an x5 for 14 months with no issues at all. A couple other 7s and 550s which required some warranty work and all was taken care of.
One reason I love BMW is the warranty. I have no worries. If you keep it longer than 4yr/50k miles buy the extended warranty
Never any maintenance worries except tires
Btw I did get third row option don't use it much but nice when I need it. Was another reason over MB ML

#12 ·
Don't hesitate on the X5 for a second...one of the best decisions I've made. I've had the car since April and it's been absolutely perfect. The only time I've been back to the BMW dealership was for a free carwash and topping off of the windshield washer fluid. Free service and maintenance for 4 years really can't be beat, if that's your concern, it looks great, and it's a blast to drive.

#16 ·
I love my X5d, and checked out the MDX before purchasing, but you may want to check the third row seats with the intended users first. They are better in the MDX. The X5 seats are good for a 7 y.o for a while, 12 y.o. for only about a half hour at the most. Which is how I use mine.

#17 ·
thank you, everyone has made a lot of helpful comments. Financially not a stretch but I am still very frugal (or try to be). But I do splurge a bit here and there. I was planning on the third row for kids, and very short drives only. but always seem to have a few extra kids to haul around... like the idea of diesel but was unable to get a quote thru USAA. I think it is the way we keep our seats in the mdx that creates this blind spot.

thanks to all

#21 ·
thank you, everyone has made a lot of helpful comments. Financially not a stretch but I am still very frugal (or try to be). But I do splurge a bit here and there. I was planning on the third row for kids, and very short drives only. but always seem to have a few extra kids to haul around... like the idea of diesel but was unable to get a quote thru USAA. I think it is the way we keep our seats in the mdx that creates this blind spot.

thanks to all
It's all luck. Some ppl have issues like tailgate rattle, seats squeaking etc. Never had these issues on my cheaper cars.

You can get a issue free honda or a problem ridden BMW or vice versa...no one can say.

#20 ·
Agreed... Although I personally don't like the Cayenne. I drove it, and felt it was basically a Toureg with some tweaks. I also thought some of the interior components felt very cheap (especially for a car of that price). I MUCH prefer the X5.

#19 ·
If you get the third row than I read that you cannot get the spare. This could be a problem if you want to get rid of the RFTs. I didn't really "love" the X5 until I put on some non_RFTs. The ride was a little too rough for me. Now I look forward to my daily commute. :)

#23 ·
So, did bcdspring pull the trigger?

#26 ·
Let me tell you about the BIG ISSUE I have with my 35i. It costs me around $900 a month to run it, lease payment and gas, as opposed to $90 a month for a Civic. THAT'S MY BIG ISSUE, AND GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR DECISION! :rofl:

#29 ·
Come on... Pull the trigger! I was debating earlier this week over a certain option (whether to get it or not). In the end, I got it because I realized that while I might not "need" it, there was a possibility I would regret not getting it. I didn't want to risk having regrets for the sake of a few bucks a month.

So, as my friends on the forum told me... Pick up your skirt, grab your stones, and get that X5 ordered. You won't regret it :) You can always keep it for three years, sell it for a profit and then go back to the practicalities of the MDX after that :)

Good luck with your purchase :)

#30 ·
buy an X5?

If you are truly set on an x5, get the diesel. Although I only have 10 months and 8000 miles on mine, it has been totally trouble free. Great mileage (for an SUV), handling, and pulls a boat beautifully. However, if you want a practical, four-season, "frugal", vehicle, the x5 may not be what you want. When you consider total cost of ownership, i.e. depreciation, insurance, taxes, fuel economy, even with free maintenance, no way you should buy something like the x5. I need to tow a boat and like the higher driving position of an SUV. If you want european quality, handling, and ride, a Mercedes wagon is a more "frugal" and practical option. IMHO. :thumbup:

#31 ·
So bcdspring,

What's the outcome? Please tell us after two pages of posts that you have pulled the trigger and made the best decision ever to be a BMW owner? :)

#35 ·
ok just signed the order for white x5d with premium package, premium sound and third row. i live in a warm climate so don't need cold weather package. anyone have anything they would add? I was told there are only 15 diesel x5 in production in spartenburg right now and most are already sold. not sure how long i will have to wait...i guess i will find out tomorrow.

#36 ·
I would highly recommend the multi-contour seats. They are wonderful.

#37 ·
Agreed. I'd add the Multi Contour seats for sure, as well as the Sports Activity Package with the 20-inch wheels.

Unless you need the 3rd row, I'd cancel it. It's not that usable for adults. If you have kids and need it that's fine.

I'm not sure the Premium Sound is worth the cost. The car already comes with an upgraded Hi-Fi sound system. Unless you're a true audiophile, I'd pass.

Sent from my PG86100 using Bimmer

#38 ·
, as well as the Sports Activity Package with the 20-inch wheels.
er
To be clear, the"Sport package" adds NOTHING in terms of 'sport' nor 'handling'...and 20" wheels are a step down in overall handling.

Just for new buyers looking....

#43 ·
Ard,

Just curious, why do you say the 20 inch wheels are a step down in terms of handling? Ride quality... sure. But I would have thought the bigger rims would improve steering response.

I agree the Sports package is mostly (if not all) cosmetic.
"Handling" is more than 'steering response'... smaller sidewalls can feel 'tighter', but handling involves the whole turn, maintaining the contact patch, compliance on rough roads, etc. Take a car with 19s and 20s...and PUSH it...see which maintains control.

The whole idea of 'big rims' was to increase the rims as much as you could and then put on bigger brakes/rotors under them...somehow people have perverted this into just 'bigger rims' with stock puny rotors as a 'style'...or folks confuse the hard feel on steering to be an 'handling upgrade'

#45 ·
"Handling" is more than 'steering response'... smaller sidewalls can feel 'tighter', but handling involves the whole turn, maintaining the contact patch, compliance on rough roads, etc. Take a car with 19s and 20s...and PUSH it...see which maintains control.

The whole idea of 'big rims' was to increase the rims as much as you could and then put on bigger brakes/rotors under them...somehow people have perverted this into just 'bigger rims' with stock puny rotors as a 'style'...or folks confuse the hard feel on steering to be an 'handling upgrade'
Fair enough... Makes sense. Thanks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.