BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Rattling noise from door and ticking/squeaky noise from center dash.

5K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Matt_UKTX 
#1 ·
I have a rattling/vibrating plastic noise coming from the front passenger door, close to the B-pillar. It's a constant non-stop noise when the vehicle's idling, driving slowly with no throttle or backing up.
But when I push the front passenger door's armrest outward from the side, the noise seems to stop, or at least get better, but can't figure out what's actually causing the noise.
And the door makes a short 1 second buzzing noise every time it's closed as if a spring is vibrating (no soft-close option).

I also have a ticking/squeaky noise around the NAV screen/center dash above the center vents whenever the vehicles's not on a glass smooth road. It sounds like the plastic trim pieces are flexing, so I tried pushing them in various places, but no use.

Anyone experience similar problems?

#3 ·
BMW may say it's within operating parameters, but that doesn't mean you should accept it. A lot of dealers will tell you what you want to hear to make you go away.

I had an issue in my 330i once, I took the car to four different dealers. Three of them told me I was imagining an issue. The fourth fixed it.

Here's my advice:
1) Speak to the service manager and insist that you have a tech do a ride along so they can experience the problem.
2) Insist, insist, insist until you get the end result you are looking for.
3) If #3 doesn't happen, contact BMWNA and the BBB. I have also found that causing a scene on the showroom floor on a busy Saturday can be effective :) They don't want you putting off potential customers.

#4 ·
I have a rattling/vibrating plastic noise coming from the front passenger door, close to the B-pillar. It's a constant non-stop noise when the vehicle's idling, driving slowly with no throttle or backing up.
But when I push the front passenger door's armrest outward from the side, the noise seems to stop, or at least get better, but can't figure out what's actually causing the noise.
And the door makes a short 1 second buzzing noise every time it's closed as if a spring is vibrating (no soft-close option).

I also have a ticking/squeaky noise around the NAV screen/center dash above the center vents whenever the vehicle's not on a glass smooth road. It sounds like the plastic trim pieces are flexing, so I tried pushing them in various places, but no use.

Anyone experience similar problems?
No idea regarding the "1 second buzzing" or the NAV screen noise . . . but regarding the rattling/vibrating plastic noise . . . it "may" be the door seal (felt material) . . . the seal between the frame of the door and the roof of the car (not the seal between window glass and door). I had this noise coming from the front passenger door (you can amplify the sound by going over a speed bump slowly one tire at at time by angling the car a bit - this will twist the body and amplify the sound) . . . BMW recommended fix was to put a clear teflon tape on the roof side of this seal. I didn't think it would work . . . but it looks like it did . . . no noise for over a year. Hopefully it stays that way! Here is a thread regarding this . . . Creaking Door or Window

#5 · (Edited)
The front passenger side's door, including the armrest vibrates more than the driver's side when resting a hand on it to feel the difference.

Could it be the engine mount or just the door?

I will also check on the door seal. Thanks for the link.

BTW, I'm out of the warranty period but the noise is unbearable. If nothing works, it'll have to be fixed at the dealer.. oh the fun...

#6 ·
If you are out of warranty, forget the dealer. They will rape you on price. Try to find a small trusted BMW shop where you live. I am sure someone on this board must know of one.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.