BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
6M views 104K replies 316 participants last post by  tim330i 
#1 ·
There has been a bunch of OT threads lately, so i think we should try to keep it all the ot talk in one place. I know the e36 forum rocks, and all the other forums suck big time :bigpimp:, yet we need to stay on topic....

#75,301 ·
I am expected to work 45-50 hours a week and get 3 weeks PTO now. There are also 5 personal days, but if i dont use them they're paid out in january. The best part is that my OT is time and a half for another year and a half.

My firm is an industry leader because we work the most. Others work four 10s then get half day fridays (for 44ish total). If i asked my bossman to work that, he'd say why not five 10s?

#75,302 ·
My firm is an industry leader because we work the most. Others work four 10s then get half day fridays (for 44ish total). If i asked my bossman to work that, he'd say why not five 10s?
:rofl:

It's the opposite here. I'm expected to get 45+ hours of work into 40. Compliance is seen as a drain so they come down on OT hard, whereas loans and branches are revenue departments so they can work as much OT as they want and no one cares. In the branches I used to work 14 days straight and no one blinked. Here I have a half hour of OT and they want to know why in explicit detail. :rolleyes:

Sent from my Galaxy Tab using BimmerApp

#75,303 ·
Ouch! That sounds like when we have a project thats got a tight or blown budget. My PM will ask me to do 2 days of tasks in 6 hours. Sometimes they'll figure out ways for me to creatively stash hours in a bigger project with a healthy multiplier.

Sometimes i wish i could "8 and skate", but when i need the extra cash the essentially unlimited OT can't be beat.

#75,304 ·
So I've been productive this morning, combined my broken screened laptop, a n lcd monitor, and an external hard drive into a brief case, stuck all together with a bunch of athletic tape, and here's the result.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Bimmer App

Attachments

#75,305 ·
So I've been productive this morning, combined my broken screened laptop, a n lcd monitor, and an external hard drive into a brief case, stuck all together with a bunch of athletic tape, and here's the result.

are you sure you're not actually residing in West Virginia and hiding the truth from us.

#75,306 ·
Psh all you guys with your PTO....

I work 6 days a week and only take off holidays if they land on Sunday...

Oh and my days off are Christmas and Thanksgiving...

:)

#75,307 ·

I have seen computers mounted in really weird places (in a fish tank, on a sheet of wood) but, that is a first. How are you powering the lcd?

#75,308 · (Edited)
are you sure you're not actually residing in West Virginia and hiding the truth from us.
If I were from WV it would be a CRT monitor taped to my truck box.

I have seen computers mounted in really weird places (in a fish tank, on a sheet of wood) but, that is a first. How are you powering the lcd?
I spliced together the power cord for the laptop and the monitor so there's only one plug.

#75,309 ·

Ah the joys of small business ownership! (Right???)

I can't complain about my work schedule at all. Boss is flexible as long as I get my required number of hours in each month (monthly timesheet processing). I don't get OT cause I'm salaried, but I can use comp time within the month to take extra time off if needed.

#75,317 ·
My vacation accrues at 3 weeks per year and I can carry over two weeks. Unused balance gets paid out in April or I can cash out when I want prior to that. Getting the time to take 3 weeks is my challenge. Seems every contract we get now has a short fuzed schedule where we have to get to design approval by a certain date or the customer's funding (government) is at risk.
Typical work week is about 50ish hours, but I've had some stretches where I've had 3-4 100 plus hour weeks in a row. The long weeks are usually when we're field testing or environmental testing. When you're paying for a site by the day you try to use as much of the day as possible. :)
We have one site we go to where it's a 2 hour drive one way to the site, then 10-12hrs on site, then 2hrs back. It adds up pretty quickly....

#75,318 ·

Pretty much same here.

I honestly think that's part of why this country is how it is, deemed lazy. It's pretty silly for employees to have as many days off as they do. My old boss took off almost 2 weeks because his wife had a baby. We asked him "did she have the baby, or did you?"

JMO, I'd love to have a month off of work a year, but I don't think it's right.

#75,319 · (Edited)
Actually, I don't think the US has a reputation for being lazy at all. European countries often get way more time off for various reasons compared to Americans. If anything, we have a culture of over-working.

We're regarded as being provincial simpletons with no grasp of culture or history (which is true, since we're a relatively young country), but not lazy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.