BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Oil coming out of rear O2 sensor

12K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  HarryR325i 
#1 ·
Has anyone seen this before or know the cause of oil coming out of the rear O2 sensor.

It's a E46 99 328i

Thanks,
Matt

#5 ·
I can see the picture, but it is too bright in the area you are trying to show. I think Smolck is right, that is right in the area where you are going to see oil from the valve cover leaking. It falls on the manifold and burns off. The oil that falls on the O2 sensor just may not be burning off, so it only looks like it is leaking oil. If you really have oil coming from the O2 sensor, you have got way bigger problems.

#7 ·
x3 on a leaky VCG (assuming the dark portions on the heat shield aren't underexposed areas of the picture). I'd recommend getting a replacement valve cover (includes perimeter and spark plug gasket) as well as the 15 sealing grommets for the bolts. Chances are you'll crack your existing valve cover if you replace just the gasket.

#8 ·
Why would the vc crack when replacing the gasket? I would think chances are it won't crack unless you're just careless or don't properly torque the bolts. :dunno:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.