BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

removing resonator only??

159K views 437 replies 80 participants last post by  derekwilkinson 
#1 ·
Hi everyone, I currently own a 09 650i convertible
i was thinking going to the shop tomorrow to get the resonator removed and keep the stock exhaust...
will this make the sounder louder? or should i not even bother doing so?

#273 ·
awesome please post video for sound i love to hear the sound

thank you ^^

#275 ·
questions on dual tip guys

should i do with 3.5 round dual tip? or 4" dual tip?

#278 ·
I just removed all three resonators and added an x-pipe. I'll post some vids later. Sound great but I think it's still too quiet. :)

#282 ·
Just figured I add in my 2 cents two months back ordered a eisenmann race mufflers installed really no change in sound wtf $3000 still sounds like stock, yesterday went to exhaust shop to have first resonator deleted and x pipe added in, picked up car still no change in sound wtf, called shop back asked them to delete final resonator before mufflers they did sound is better but still pretty quite no drone quite at idle. I was really worried about making this car sound like a rice burner but it is very hard too I guess my advice to anyone would be don't worry about deleting resonators if u are keeping the mufflers I'll try to post up some sound clips

#289 ·
If you are running the BimmerApp on your phone press and hold on a post until you see a menu (there is also a menu icon in the top right) Choose more/open in Safari (or your andriod browser) to get the full version of the forums.

On the iPhone I did not see a way to upload pics stored on the phone so you will need to first host pics on a site like photobucket.

Once you have the pics hosted copy the host site link to the pic and paste it into the prompt after clicking on the "post image" icon (mountain range).

You can also email pics on the phone to yourself then upload these from a desktop/laptop.

#298 ·
i try your set up
because you don't have back presure so your low end is no good but high speed might me good
i try all kind of set up on my car. so you might want to put x-pipe to give you back presure

well i'm thinking about to buy oem m6 muffler or just x-pipe set up with no muffler and 4" dual tip
does any body have x-pip with oem m6 muffler on the car?
i love to hear sound b 4 i buy

thank you

#309 ·
i try straight
if you do straight pipe there is now power on low end and lot's lot's of gas and no back pressure that's why you need to have x pipe

#313 ·
Twin resonator removeal

I am really grateful to this thread for providing support and help for exhaust modifications. As a result of reading this, I had the twin resonators towards the front replaced with straight through piping, and have for the time being left the middle muffler set up and left the stock mufflers. The difference is more burble, slight deeper and meaty sound, and acceleration is noticeably louder but not over the top. Acceleration also seems more free especially on low revs, which is probably due to less back pressure. The exhaust shop said the twin resonators were full of wire wool, which pushed the exhaust into the sides of the resonators and around, which must have caused slowing of the exhaust gases. Exhaust shop BMW expert said that this is now how the car should sound.

So to help with the general information on this thread and to add to the 'database' of sounds, I have uploaded a video of before and after - I have to say though the video does not do a huge amount of justice to the difference, but in real life it is more noticeable. Without the top down, the sound with modest acceleration is nicely louder than stock, and with the top down, much more noticeable, even when just sitting in traffic.

Hope this helps.

Video link

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SP3syfDTtk8&feature=youtu.be

#315 ·
Most people have the muffler shop create one from scratch. Check out post #258 and #302 and you will see what a custom x-pipe looks like. Mine is similar to the one in post #258.

You can also buy off the shelf x-pipes from Magnaflow or SuperSprint.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.