BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

amplifier questions

1K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  jspit540i 
#1 ·
if you where looking to install an aftermarket amp in the trunk of the car, is there a way you can use the stock car wiring for the audio signal,( meaning as a set of rca's)?

#2 ·
jspit540i said:
if you where looking to install an aftermarket amp in the trunk of the car, is there a way you can use the stock car wiring for the audio signal,( meaning as a set of rca's)?
Yes. "RCA" is a term for the connector so you can simply take the +/- and solder them to an RCA connector. However, that doesn't work terribly well with some amps because the signal is not unbalanced, so you should buy a Line Output Converter (LOC) which then puts out the clean unbalanced signal for your amp.

Go to www.bmwtips.com under tips&tricks for the wiring diagram.

Bill

#3 ·
I had no problems installing an aftermarket amp in my 2000 528i without DSP. I used a 4 channel amp and ran the tweeters mids in as the front 2 channels and the "woofers" as the rear two. Then installed a subwoofer and another amp for bass.

Works pretty good. Make sure u solder all the connections. Makes the stock speakers sound 10x better.

Let me know if you have any questions!

#4 ·
There's a little more to it, in my experience...

1) I did a system in my former 528i without DSP or Nav and did not need a line output converter to connect up to my a/d/s/ P840, it worked straight up. However, in my '02 Nav equipped car I needed one which was surprising because the OEM amp part number for both cars was exactly the same.

2) Replacing the amp only, i.e. retaining the factory speakers, is a hard sell because the OEM amp has the crossovers built in. Your aftermarket amp may have filters, like the P840 does, but figuring out the proper settings will be a nightmare. You would be better off doing component speakers up front with outboard crossovers.

3) Depending on which problem you want to solve, adding a sub may suffice. However, I suggest the full-on upgrade: front speakers, aftermarket amp, sub in trunk. In my '02 install I retained the OEM mid-bass drivers and filtered the frequencies to provide a full-range rear fill. Saved me alot of time and effort and was just fine since I kept the sound more up front anyway.

There's tons of info here and in other places, enough to let any handy person do the upgrade as a DIY. With proper preparation and planning it can be done in an afternoon.

#5 ·
I have DSP in the my 540 and I added a Jl audio w7 in the trunk and it's perfect for me now. If you tune the cabin speakers to play mids and highs withe a little mid bass and use the sub for lows. You great great volume and clarity from the cabin speakers and the sub rounds it out. If you have DSP DO NOT GET RID OF IT, just add a sub and take the time to learn how to tune it with the equalizer and settings. It's perfect. I have friend who took out his DSP and when he heard my car he kicked himself for doing it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.