BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

M3/M4 Horsepower.

4K views 19 replies 7 participants last post by  MRV99 
#1 ·
The last generation M3 had 410 horsepower and the M5 had 500 HP. Just being very simple and not overly technical that is a horsepower difference of +/- 90 HP. How many people out there wonder why the current M3 is NOT up somewheres around 470-475 HP. :dunno:

#2 · (Edited)
Probably because if the HP was too close to the M5s with its lighter weight it would be faster (or at least as fast) and they probably don't want that.

The new M3 should still be quite a bit faster than the E92. The last M3 wasn't so different than the one before in that you had to rev it to the moon to make power, both having very "peaky" power bands.

The way BMW "down tunes" their turbo motors in favor of ultra wide power bands with strong low end torque and a very strong mid range rather than focus on peak numbers speaks volumes to their understanding that average hp throughout the RPM range (and not peak numbers) means more on an actual track where you can't just stay above 6000 the whole time. 1/4 mile times are a different story--you can usually turn in good results still even if your power band is fairly narrow since once you're out of first you will be in your element.

I expect the new M3 to post much better times than the 11hp increase would suggest. There is something that seems right about BMW's flagship car having an I-6 under the hood again as well. Not that they don't make beastly V-8s but I think we can all agree that BMW is most famous for their perfection of the I-6.

#9 ·
Dyno charts show the M5 has more like 545 horsepower to the wheels.

And the M3 "supposedly" makes 414. (My ass)

Anyway, huge horsepower figures aren't the point of the M3 and if that's what you think it's for, I suggest you get a GT500 SS.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

#10 ·
Very good points. And I agree with you 100 %. I just thought the new M3 Might have a little more HP when you consider what the spread was between the e60 and the outgoing M3. But yes no doubt you do not buy the M3 for big HP alone and I agree with you. With the M3 it's about all around performance and world class handling and style. And with the F80 M3 being just about the size of the E39 M5, I think BMW really hit on something. :thumbup:

#12 ·
I'm a little bit of a hypocrite though, because I'm planning a supercharger in the future. The chassis is just SO much better than the engine. So much room for potential.

#13 ·
I'm a little bit of a hypocrite though, because I'm planning a supercharger in the future. The chassis is just SO much better than the engine. So much room for potential.

Are you saying that you feel that your M3 is way underpowered. And do you feel the new M3 is way underpowered ? Even with all the added torque.

#17 ·
Im almost certain BMW is downplaying to power in the F80. and even with a modest turbo tune will be insanely fast (as if it isnt already).

Also to the others,... please expalin to me how the F10 M5 can do 0-60 3.7, and lap the Nurburgring in 7:55 stock (faster than porsche 911 and ferrari F430) is "missing the mark"??? could it be lighter and even better? yes but i think they did an outstanding job.

#19 ·
Im almost certain BMW is downplaying to power in the F80. and even with a modest turbo tune will be insanely fast (as if it isnt already).

Also to the others,... please expalin to me how the F10 M5 can do 0-60 3.7, and lap the Nurburgring in 7:55 stock (faster than porsche 911 and ferrari F430) is "missing the mark"??? could it be lighter and even better? yes but i think they did an outstanding job.
How many people saying that do you think actually own an M5? Not too many I'd wager.

Look at the number of M5s sold (not a big number) vs the number of people that read magazine reviews and you have your answer.

#20 ·
I can attest to that. I was looking at the M5 and took one for a test drive. It was a 6mt and yes it was very fast in a straight line. As soon as you started turning it, you could feel the size. I was coming from a 08 550 m-sport so I was comparing size to the E60. I could not get over how much bigger the F10 felt compared to the E60. I really wanted the DCT and after the test drive, the dealership gave me a M3 DCT for the day to see if I like the DCT and needless to say, they sold the M3 and not the M5 :beerchug:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.