BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

2001 540i 6apeed better then a m5???

3K views 54 replies 22 participants last post by  Topaz540i 
#1 ·
so I have a 2001 540i 6speed I wanna buy a m5 but it hads 194000 miles, that's a lot of miles they want 7k, or do the motor swap or built the 540i with that money , my questions are hads anyone build 540 ??? would be better then the m5 ?

#3 · (Edited)
I would suggest school

Education is your answer, you misspell and don't use your words correctly...sorry to be a thorn. As for the 540 it is plenty good enough to handle better than 95% of the cars on the road, and outrun 90%...it should be plenty fast enough as it is. If you want to race why would you buy a 4K lb German luxury sport sedan?...If you're looking for more go with the M5 BUT...you have much bigger fish to fry...Good Luck

#6 · (Edited)
Education is your answer, you misspell and don't use your words correctly...sorry to be a thorn. As for the 540 it is plenty good enough to handle better than 95% of the cars on the road, and outrun 90%...it should be plenty fast enough as it is. If you want to race why would you buy a 4K lb German luxury sport sedan?...If you're looking for more go with the M5 BUT...you have much bigger fish to fry...Good Luck
You're funny. Before you bash other people for their spelling and grammar, you should check your own. Your very first sentence has a punctuation usage error. There are more in your post, but I have no desire to tutor you. English is obviously not his first language. What's your excuse?

#4 ·
a Tuned 540 will spank a m5 anyday...

a tuned m5 will cost a refinance of the house

Get the 540.. the m5 is over your head..
and if you want to tune it, then you have a little bit of wiggle room to do so

Unless you have money to piss away... in which case you wouldn't be trying to buy a 13 year car

#9 ·
and its for those reasons that i try not to use big words.

#10 · (Edited)
Thanks

To me the q was a q a 13yo would ask, Seriously! Kind of demeaning in a way and I rightfully admit I don't know everything...even in your short edited post you caught a mistake you made so did I - otherwise it would have gone unedited...best of luck with your eraser...Didn't mean to bash but the q itself was childish IMHO. Are u the forum police? Or just like to Act that way?

#12 ·
To me the q was a q a 13yo would ask, Seriously! Kind of demeaning in a way and I rightfully admit I don't know everything...even in your short edited post you caught a mistake you made so did I - otherwise it would have gone unedited...best of luck with your eraser...Didn't mean to bash but the q itself was childish IMHO. Are u the forum police? Or just like to Act that way?
My edit was not to correct grammar or spelling. I am the forum Police and I say you need an education too. Your use of the ellipsis is incorrect and try working on when to use the semicolon.

#14 · (Edited)
well thank you for your time everyone and sorry for my misspelling English is not my first language , I always wanted a m5 but I never had the money to buy one but now I have some money save up and I feel like am closer on buying one I have 7k save up, I own a 2001 540i 6speed and a 1990 300zx 2+2 5speed so instead on buying that high mile m5. just sped the 7k in the 540i would it be worth it?.... what you guys think?
what can I do to make more power? I know the 540i is already fast but I want faster I don't know where else to ask but this website because is for bmw I want opinions/ comments about my questions that's it.. thank you for your time

#15 ·
IMO seriously. An M5 is a completely different car than a 540i, built for 2 vastly different people. Same with 335i and M3. No matter how much money you put into a 540 it will never be a M5. EVER. Tune it all you want, it's still not an M car. If that's as important to you as it is to me, you should know what to do. Shop around though lol close to 200k miles is a bit overboard.

Sent from my LT18i using BimmerApp mobile app

#16 ·
The biggest bang for the buck is either forced induction of nitrous injection. Some have swapped in various GM LS-series engines.

IMHO, an M5 with 194k is pretty well used up.

#17 ·
Lmao!! Ohh God.. Whew thanks for that. Yeah go ahead install nitrous on a 13 year old 200k mile v8 BMW, let me know how that works out for you! Lol ohhh man.

On a more serious note though. You seriously need to think about raising your budget for a clean E39 M5. 7k is a tad low unless you have alot more money for repairs. you could easily spend 3 or 4 times that amount on a clean low mileage M. My only point is you get what you pay for man. Good luck and I hope you find a good e39 someday.

#22 ·
Ummmm... First and most importantly the LSD on the M5 is a HUGE difference. Much different suspension, sway bars, wheels, tires, bigger better brakes, M specific parts everywhere. Oh I almost forgot, 120 more horsepower lol. And that NOISE.

Also .7 faster 0-60 is a huge deal. Plus a full second difference in the 1/4 mile is an embarrassing loss.

#30 ·
Ahhh...I remember when this was a gentlemen's forum.
The only time folks would get nasty, was in an oil thread.

If I wanted to get dirty, I would visit the E34 side.
You're always one keystroke away from confrontation, no matter the discussion.

But I digress...

I paid 19500 for my '03 M5 w/ 117k on the clock 2 months ago.
In '09, I paid 10k for my '98 w/ 77k on the clock.
Both cars were comparable in terms of condition when I took possession.
NO comparison, in ANY way to performance.
As someone said earlier, the M is a "Different animal".

OP, take your time.
The M will come to you.
Enjoy the 540 for what it is worth, which is a lot!
Don't squander your $$$ on silly mods, just keep her clean, and in top running condition.
THAT will be your reward until you find your M.
The wait will be worth it, and the experience you gain from the 540 will enhance your enjoyment for the M.

But that is just my humble opinion.
Which, on the '34 board is...tripe.

Haoleboyird

#39 · (Edited)
on a 540...

suspension, brakes, exhaust, intake, tuning.. you will spank a m5

for a few reasons

A: the guy driving the m5 is afraid to brake it.
B: the guy driving the m5 cant afford to brake it
C; the guy driving the m5 isnt expecting it

If this was a perfect world we would be lined up on a 1/4 mile
But this just isnt the case

Im telling you all with out a doubt... that a tuned 540 will spank the shiit out of a stock m5 any day any way
Not a non sport model... auto tragic..
A msport 540 6 speed tuned will spank a m5

This

Tuned.. will spank a m5

Im tuned... Ive spanked m5's what more do you want.

dont make me pull out the ban hammer

evidently... according to this forum that in some way has been modified THAT is stock... Stock rims stock bumper, eveything you see is stock... what you dont see is what gets you

and if your going to be a dick about the front kindy gills.... I presure washed them to black and never cared enough about painting them the stock oem grey... like the car came..

thats what 250PSi point black will do
I could strip the hole car with the pressure washer

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.