BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Uk Driver with a big car ?

3K views 24 replies 10 participants last post by  Pirate_copy 
#1 ·
More Congestion Charges For High Polluting Vehicles.

Transport for London has published a consultation paper on 10 August, outlining changes to the London Congestion Charge scheme. The aim is to charge cars making the biggest contribution to global warming pay significantly more and thus discourage their use. The charges are set to cost the highest polluting vehicles (over 225 g/km) up to £25 to drive in the present Central London Congestion Charging Zone. This would affect some 8% of cars registered in London. The normal resident's discount of 90% would not apply to these vehicles.
The new charges would be as follows:
Low-CO2 emitting cars - 100% discount (£0). Includes cars in VED bands A and B (less than 120g CO2 per km) which also meet the Euro 4 air quality standard
The majority of cars - VED Bands C, D, E and those in F with emissions up to 225g CO2 per km will continue to pay the same daily charge as at present - £8
The highest CO2 emitting cars - VED Band G and equivalent vehicles (above 225g CO2 per km), as well as those registered pre-March 2001 with engines larger than 3 litres, will pay £25 a day
Cars are calculated by Transport for London to account for nearly half the estimated 22% of London's CO2 emissions accounted for by transport as a whole. According to a poll conducted by MORI for the Mayor, 64% of Londoners think the most polluting cars should pay a higher congestion charge. The consultation will run from the 10 August and end on 19 October.

See less See more
#5 ·
Thank goodness I live in Torquay.

This is just another ploy by the Government to get more taxes by hitting the motorist. We are easy targets. Surely they get enough revenue from larger vehicles because they use more fuel - more fuel means more tax revenue for the Government.

Next, they will be culling all Welsh cows because they, apparently, are a huge contributory factor towards global warming because of the methane gas they produce. Why Welsh cows I do not know. This beggars the question, what do English, Scottish or Irish cows produce - and don't say milk and beef:rofl:

#7 ·
Acutally a lot of Irish farmers are now sealing their slurry pits and using the gas to run generators. also they are now using freeheaters as well. you run your hot tap pipe through the pit to preheat the water before it goes to the boiler.

With regards to taxes whats wrong with all these goverments.:mad:
There should be two taxes on cars. Vat when you buy it and VAT on fuel. No road tax, no carbon tax, no cogestion tax, no motorway tax, no we'll think up another tax.

Surely it would be easy to calculate the total cost that motorist have to pay and then levy the petrol by x ammount adjusted yearly. If you want to take you kid to school in a V12 Range Rover thats would be fine as you would be paying proportionately more than the family who use their ford fiesta for weekends.

I truly believe that when it comes to cars they try to make it deliberately so confusing as to make it impossible for any motorist to calculate his actual costs and more importantly see where his taxes have been spent.

#8 ·
I wish they would do this in Texas. I drive amongst the largest street legal vehicles on planet earth. I'm like a dwarf among giant burly trucks. I'm not saying they dont have their uses, but god dang some of those things were not meant to be parked at all.

#11 ·
There was an article recently where they suggested putting up the road fund tax for 'gas guzzlers'. That obviously includes 4 x 4's. Like has been said previously, these people pay enough taxes in the fuel they use. It is certainly extremely unfair for farmers, for example, who NEED 4 x 4's for their livelihood. These people actually use these vehicles for the purpose they are meant for - they should not be penalised.

But, like a former Prime Mininster was once heard to say 'is this face bovvered' !! :rolleyes:

#24 ·
It is certainly extremely unfair for farmers, for example, who NEED 4 x 4's for their livelihood. These people actually use these vehicles for the purpose they are meant for - they should not be penalised.
the farmers would claim the vat back on the fuel when they do there accounts as its a buisness expence as i used to when i ran taxi's

i dont see a problem with more duty on fuel if they get rid of road tax

#13 ·
I spent 3 days in Longview this January and that was enough for me....hated the place. And yeah, what's with all those lifted trucks? We have some in Cali, and piles and piles of stock SUV's, but you guys have every other car a lifted pickup.

That sounds like a lousy way to make more money for this city. That really must hurt the people who actually need to go in to the city for work or other reasons like that and are just trying to make it.

#20 ·
Thanks Pirate.

Also another interesting fact. Do you Guys remember that every week the name 'Fawlty Towers' was rearranged to spell something different. There is one that sticks in my mind although how they got away with this I do not know as it was quite rude - please excuse me coz this is rude - it read 'flowery tw4ts' !

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.