Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 07-10-2014, 03:16 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 540/6, S60 Volvo, Tribeca
Quote:
Originally Posted by fmzip View Post

NAPA didn't list a rating on the connector, I looked for it. I was hoping to find a 20A rating. It can accept up to a 10GA wire. It seems pretty robust.

This one will handle the current the fan will draw.
Old 07-10-2014, 03:51 PM

Mein Auto: 2000 BMW 528iT/5, S/C
Quote:
Originally Posted by fmzip View Post
I wasn't worried but someone posted that I didn't flip it. What I noticed after I flipped the blade over as pictured and swapped polarity, the output was much, much higher. I used my wife's hair movement as my test subject (couldn't use my own as I am follicly challenged)

Simply reversing polarity does not provide the same air output, it's a combination of blade rotation, maybe it's different with these "s" type blades than straight blades but it certainly makes a huge difference in performance

NAPA didn't list a rating on the connector, I looked for it. I was hoping to find a 20A rating. It can accept up to a 10GA wire. It seems pretty robust.

Any suggestions on a better one, NAPA had nothing nor did Advanced Auto.I was hoping to use something like this and cut it in half but then again, no rating

http://www.amazon.com/Classy-Autos-W...ve+plug+2+wire

Now I just want to know if I flipped it in case someone asks. Can someone with this same fan chime in?
I checked my fan blade orientation and your reflipped blade is the same as mine. My fan assembly is opposite from yours (black is hot and blue is ground) but the fan orientation is (the same) correct. I guess your wife's hair is the ultimate test. lol.

Congrats of your fan runon after engine shut off setup. Love it. I might have to copy your setup in the future but not before I add Jim's 20% run all the time module to my wife Nancy's car.

I used a waterproof connector for the fan that I found at Summit Racing. It's rated at 20amps, is kind of expensive but is very cool IMHO. Here's the link:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/aaf-all76266

Edit-BTW being a baker, I really like your cake pan fan mount. Very clean looking and is definitely better than my messy setup. But bottom line is that mine works and that's the way it is going to stay. Again congrats on coming up with that design.

Last edited by johnstern; 07-10-2014 at 03:57 PM.
Old 07-11-2014, 06:53 AM

Mein Auto: 330 cic
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnstern View Post
I checked my fan blade orientation and your reflipped blade is the same as mine. My fan assembly is opposite from yours (black is hot and blue is ground) but the fan orientation is (the same) correct. I guess your wife's hair is the ultimate test. lol.

Congrats of your fan runon after engine shut off setup. Love it. I might have to copy your setup in the future but not before I add Jim's 20% run all the time module to my wife Nancy's car.

I used a waterproof connector for the fan that I found at Summit Racing. It's rated at 20amps, is kind of expensive but is very cool IMHO. Here's the link:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/aaf-all76266

Edit-BTW being a baker, I really like your cake pan fan mount. Very clean looking and is definitely better than my messy setup. But bottom line is that mine works and that's the way it is going to stay. Again congrats on coming up with that design.
Thanks for checking that out and the compliments.

That connector is exactly what I was looking for at NAPA. In the link you provided, is that a male and female as it doesn't look like it.

I found this one on Amazon, does this look sufficient to hand the current, looks to be the same part?

http://www.amazon.com/Keep-It-Clean-...pr_product_top

Last edited by fmzip; 07-11-2014 at 08:07 AM.
Old 07-11-2014, 09:50 AM

The Summit part is male and female. Looks very similar to the Amazon connector, maybe the same although different brand name. Amazon does not list a capacity while Summit does but they are so similar that the Amazon connector must be able to carry 20 amps.

I can tell you that these connectors are very OE and went together easily. I soldered the pins onto the wires. Make sure you slide the little rubber seals onto the wires before sliding on the connectors and soldering but, of course, you know that.
Old 07-11-2014, 12:33 PM

Thanks John.

yes, I agree these connectors are very OEM, it's exactly what I had in mind when I first went searching. I was very surprised not to find them at the auto parts store
Old 07-11-2014, 01:46 PM

Yeah! I looked in the autoparts stores too and was amazed that no one carried a weather proof connector. I think it's another bean counter problem-they are too expensive so customers mainly buy cheap spade connectors. Ridiculous!!!!
Old 07-13-2014, 05:46 PM

I got the fan installed today, fits perfect.

Thought I'd first wire up the Derale according to the instructions first to set it properly. Still need to wire up the resistors and relays and button everything up.

Now for the pics :

Good for another 184,000!
Old 07-14-2014, 04:42 PM

just ordered the weatherproof connectors
Old 07-14-2014, 04:47 PM

Congrats!! That looks great-neat and clean.
Old 07-14-2014, 07:28 PM

Thanks John, couldn't have done it without everyone's help!
Old 07-15-2014, 10:31 AM
Fighting the good fight!

Mein Auto: 2003 530i sport package
Is there an updated parts list for the conversion from anyone or are we sticking with what Valex has done. I need to do this ASAP but I want to grab the latest fan and parts. Let me know.

Thx!
Old 07-15-2014, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordhifi View Post
Is there an updated parts list for the conversion from anyone or are we sticking with what Valex has done. I need to do this ASAP but I want to grab the latest fan and parts. Let me know.

Thx!
All parts are the same but I've created a fresh DIY here:

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...ectric-Fan-DIY