BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Auto Start/Stop Option

14K views 132 replies 30 participants last post by  boltjaM3s 
#1 ·
Questions about the Auto start/Stop option and I feel this deserves it's own post:

1. When you asked the service guys to enable "last user mode" for the auto start/stop option, is there a cost associated with the update?

2. What do Manual F30 drivers think of this option? Do they too find it annoying like those who have automatics? I would assume it would be less of a problem in manuals.

#102 ·
Liveblog update:

The L328i has been driven away, in the back now getting it's re-code started.

A little disappointed as the F30 I was promised as a loaner did not show up from the night before so I've been assigned a 2012 528i instead. I'd backed up all my Profile settings on a USB drive and was looking forward to transferring them over to the new car, maybe even getting a Sport+ model for comparison purposes.

Getting into the 528i now, will report my observations after the ride home.

BJ

#103 · (Edited)
*** JUST GOT THE OFFICIAL UPDATE FROM MY BMW DEALER ***

The update's done, very painless, once the dealer got the authorization from BMW it took less than an hour. Here's how it functions:

Remembers last state always.

If stop engine in Comfort mode, ASS stays off on restart.

If stop engine in Sport mode, ASS stays off on restart.

If swap mode from Comfort to Sport mode, ASS stays off.

If swap mode to Eco Pro mode, ASS turns on.

If stop engine in Eco Pro mode, ASS stays on on restart.

In a nutshell, behaves as you'd expect. So long as you turn ASS off once and never put the car in Eco Pro mode, it'll never bother you again.

BJ

#110 · (Edited)
*** JUST GOT THE OFFICIAL UPDATE FROM MY BMW DEALER ***
So long as you turn ASS off once and never put the car in Eco Pro mode, it'll never bother you again.

BJ
That means if you do a lot of driving in the Eco Pro mode, this update will have absolutely no effect.

Apparently, BMW's logic is if you want to use the driving mode that will save you the most gas, your car will default to a system that can occasionally cause your car to stall in traffic. Of course, that could have been corrected if this update included the Eco Pro mode. But it didn't, so I guess I'll just have to continue pushing that button every time the car enters the Eco Pro mode. That's an aggravation, but not a major one.

The update I'm really hoping for is one where the ASS system will work smoothly without the possibility of stalling. Whether we ever will see it is doubtful at best. :(

#113 ·
If you operate the ASS system correct, it will not stall. Some people just dont understand that computer cannot start and stop the engine at the same time.
My stall was caused by the A/C forcing a restart. I didn't move or remove my foot from the brake at all.

ASS tried to restart the engine and stalled it without me doing anything. How is that operator error?

#122 ·
My stall was caused by the A/C forcing a restart. I didn't move or remove my foot from the brake at all.

ASS tried to restart the engine and stalled it without me doing anything. How is that operator error?
If your car stalls on start up, you have other problems. Your ASS system is not work properly, you might want to fix the problem instead of disabling it..

#123 ·
The slow startup with ASS engaged is only present in cars with the Status Package. This was intentionally designed into the car so that the Camry driver in the car behind you at a traffic light or stop sighn would have a sufficient time to be in awe of the Roundel on the car ahead of him and be jealous of the obviouly fabulously wealthy person driving it.

#128 ·
To bring in something good about ASS:
Yesterday I drove my 328i MT on the parking lot and was driving backwards out of the space, when I stalled the engine (by pure stupidity I should add - it was a long day...). I immediately hit the clutch and the car restarted itself. I didn't need to do the whole press clutch, press button, press button again routine. It just sprang back to life.

#129 ·
to bring in something good about ass:
Yesterday i drove my 328i mt on the parking lot and was driving backwards out of the space, when i stalled the engine (by pure stupidity i should add - it was a long day...). I immediately hit the clutch and the car restarted itself. I didn't need to do the whole press clutch, press button, press button again routine. It just sprang back to life.
+1

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.