BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Bluetooth pairing iPhone5s

2K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  QSilver7 
#1 ·
I bought my very 1st BMW. It is a 2003 X5 3.0i. Thanks! I am trying to pair my iPhone 5s. I have a face on the bottom left of the steering wheel and a phone button on the radio. No navigation system in the vehicle. There is a microphone on the right of the sunroof control panel headliner.

1) I believe I hold the steering wheel button for 1 second.
2) Turn the ignition on still holding the button for 2 more seconds.
3) Release button
4) turn on Bluetooth on my phone and search for the car BMWxxxx.

Nothing happens in step 1,2 or 3.

It is the last thing I have left to conquer in this vehicle as far as gadgets.
Any help would be appreciated!

From what I read the bluetooth was not available until 9/4 of 2005. So why would my vehicle have this all installed if that were true. I don't think it was added later - but if so - still would like to get it to work.

#2 · (Edited)
It is there because you have a "pre-install" from factory for a phone system. You don't mention if you actually have the old analog phone installed...if not then again, you were pre-installed for update later.

You could look for an old BT ULF component or the new BT TCU unit (it's costly at this point)...or look at what's available aftermarket.

You are correct...the integrated BT system didn't debut until 9/04 or 10/04...and BMW made a clerical mistake for some 2004 models...even writing in the owners manual that they had BT compatibility...but it was not true (see info below).

{X5 didn't get integrated BT until 10/04}

#3 ·
Dear friends,
i have the same problem as jhedstro and the explanation above is not very clear for me. Do you mean, in simple and plain statement that their no bluetooth fitted in BMW X5 2003. If not, is there some kind of external bluetooth that can be fixed or i have no option but to go through the expensive and tedious process of fixing?

#4 · (Edited)
...Do you mean, in simple and plain statement that their no bluetooth fitted in BMW X5 2003. ...
Yes...you are correct. There is no bluetooth fitted in a BMW X5 2003. :(

But there are several external methods (aftermarket) to get Bluetooth function. I have the BMW integrated system so I'm not well versed. Hopefully those that have aftermarket BT will chime in with what they have installed.

Here's a direct link to a reply by a forum member from BimmerFest. The topic was basically the same (new owner trying to figure out if they have BT or not...and other ways to get it looking at aftermarket products. Dennis (the forum member) lists several BT brands to look for...and all of them I've read about on the forums before: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showpost.php?p=9590328&postcount=5

Good luck in your endeavors. :)

#6 ·
I like it. I've owned a BMW of some sort since 1986...so I've grown accustomed to what it takes to maintain one...and know the common maladies that can affect them..then have. PPI (pre-purchase inspection) down before buying to get a good idea of what condition the vehicle is in, and what may be looming in the near & far future. This can also help an owner with knowing what they can tackle themselves and what they may want to hire out if the vehicle is high on the "I think I may buy" list.

The N62 V8 is no more problematic than the M62TU in the earlier models...6 of one...half dozen of another. The M62 has the timing chain guides issue that can loom over your head...the N62 has the intermediate levers & valve stem issues looming over your head.

I have experienced the intermediate lever issue a few times...it usually occurs when the ambient temps are cold. I've learned to shut the engine off IMMEDIATELY when the engine starts and the levers aren't correct. You can hear & feel the engine's rough idle. I wait like 5 seconds, turn the ignition to position 2...wait a few more seconds...then do a 2nd start...and the problem usually goes away. I also keep my code reader in the glovebox in case I didn't shut down fast enough and the CEL light illuminates. I can do a quick scan & reset...and the code never comes back (knock on wood).

Most other issues are just as common as its generational siblings (the e38/e39/e46) depending on which engine you have. The only other thing that is different is the AWD xDrive system...and I haven't had any issues there.

The most disappointing thing was discovering the oil filter reservoir is no longer up top on the 04-06 V8. The N62's oil filter is accessed from below...but it is right next to the drain plug. It requires a 6mm, 8mm & 24mm Allen wrench & socket to change the oil instead of the best 7mm & 36mm socket I had gotten used to for my e38 & e39:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.