BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

BMW will recall diesel models to fix emissions glitch

90K views 490 replies 88 participants last post by  floydarogers 
#1 · (Edited)
About 2,740 2011 and 2012 model year X5 xDrive 50i and X6 xDrive 50i vehicles, and 21,600 3-series diesel models, will be recalled, the automaker said. The recalls are scheduled for May 9, with a customer letter to follow, BMW North America spokesman Dirk Arnold said.

BMW said certain emissions components, including the SCR catalyst, the DEF mixer and the EGR valve, may improperly overstate vehicle mileage, causing emissions standards to be exceeded and the illumination of the "Service Engine Soon" light.
Follow link to Automotive News at site: http://topics.dallasnews.com/article/00eF7ro9rc09g?q=California

#488 ·
Sounds like it's time for a different dealer. I would guess the following:

The noise in the back is because they loosened part of the exhaust system to change the NOX sensor (which is in the back) and either did not tightened things properly or did not align properly causing something to be hitting/vibrating.

The low oil is because they only put in 7 quarts, the tech does know the diesel holds 8 (not 7 like the gasoline engines). Hopefully they put in the LL04 oil and not the regular LL01 oil.

#489 ·
Just got mine back from having the SCR Mixer and battery cable recalls done.

My car does seem to have greater acceleration torque than it used to, but that could be because I was driving a new F30 328i loaner around for four days (my mom always taught me that if I can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all). All I can say is, I'm very happy to have my D back, and I have no plans to ever trade it for a newer 3-series.

My invoice listed at as follows:
B 19-06-12 VOLUNTARY EMISSIONS RECALL CAMPAIGN--REPLACE SCR MIXER 0060168

They also did this:
A 130412 PROGRAMMING W/130412
25283 DDE SOFTWARE UPDATE PROGRAMMED VEHICLE INCLUDING CAS PER SIB 13-04-12. INITIALIZED SUNROOF AND WINDOWS.

Too soon to tell if mileage has been affected.

#490 ·
I bought my 2009 335d as a CPO and am I glad that I did! In 15 months I have put close to 6000mi on my dealers loaners. Hopefully the upcoming recall will cure the cars SES light problems. They have replaced the Urea system, the intake manifold, removed the head and had it dipped , replaced injectors, and re-programed the computer. When I picked up the car the last time the service manager said the light would most likely come on again within the 2000mi and that he had written a Puma on the car? I would really like to keep this car longterm but when the end of the warranty approaches I will have to make a hard choice.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.